Windows 10 Experience

Old August 31st 15, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Windows 10 Experience

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:34:15 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

Over the weekend I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It's a
painless experience and went without a hitch. All my apps carried
over and opened OK.

However, went I tried to use the Develop module in Lightroom, and
tried to edit in CC 2015, things hung up with that "Not responding"
message. Every time. The Library module in LR worked fine.

I did some web sleuthing and found this a fairly common problem and is
usually a problem with the graphics card drivers. I tried some fixes,
but nothing eliminated the problem.

I don't know what hardware you are using but if you are coming from
far behind, I can heartily recommend (a) getting all your drivers
(including BIOS) uptodate and (b) using Driver Detective
http://www.drivershq.com/ (it won't do the BIOS).

Overall, I saw nothing special about Windows 10. There are some
differences in the Desktop that take a little getting used to, but no
particular advantages that I could determine.

Cortana works OK, and voice-opened apps and searched pretty well. That
"feature" doesn't ring my bell, though. I feel silly talking to the
machine when I can get where I want to go just as easily using my
fingers on the keyboard or using the mouse. I suppose I'm a primitive
cave dweller.

I went back Windows 7. That went well also. No hitches at all, and
everything is now back as it was. PS and LR work a treat.

I'm not anti-10, but I have no further interest in the upgrade. I
suppose I'll have to accept 10 if and when I buy a new computer, but
that computer will assumedly have the right graphics card drivers.

Just to be clear, I *think* it was a graphics card driver but never
really determined that this was the problem with LR and PS, or that
this was the only problem. I didn't bother to re-install either app.
Because 10 was nothing special otherwise, I didn't pursue a solution
beyond a few steps.

I have an OKI C5600 printer on my home network. The two computers
which connect to it run Windows 10 and XP. The most uptodate driver
available for the printer is Windows 8.1. It's printing of Windows 10
but won't accept anything from XP. I suspect the problem is a clash of
network security policies but so far I haven't been able to find any
user interface for this in W10. Frustrating.

Eric Stevens
Old August 31st 15, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 01 Sep 2015 09:10:08 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

I have an OKI C5600 printer on my home network. The two computers
which connect to it run Windows 10 and XP. The most uptodate driver
available for the printer is Windows 8.1. It's printing of Windows 10
but won't accept anything from XP. I suspect the problem is a clash of
network security policies but so far I haven't been able to find any
user interface for this in W10. Frustrating.

Is the XP computer looking for the wrong printer IP address, because
it changed?
Old August 31st 15, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I have an OKI C5600 printer on my home network. The two computers
which connect to it run Windows 10 and XP. The most uptodate driver
available for the printer is Windows 8.1. It's printing of Windows 10
but won't accept anything from XP. I suspect the problem is a clash of
network security policies but so far I haven't been able to find any
user interface for this in W10. Frustrating.

Is the XP computer looking for the wrong printer IP address, because
it changed?

it's not hard to find devices on a network, regardless of ip address.
Old August 31st 15, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 17:34:50 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I have an OKI C5600 printer on my home network. The two computers
which connect to it run Windows 10 and XP. The most uptodate driver
available for the printer is Windows 8.1. It's printing of Windows 10
but won't accept anything from XP. I suspect the problem is a clash of
network security policies but so far I haven't been able to find any
user interface for this in W10. Frustrating.

Is the XP computer looking for the wrong printer IP address, because
it changed?

it's not hard to find devices on a network, regardless of ip address.

If he set up a static IP for the printer, and the printer is connected
directly to the network, not one of the computers, and the IP changed,
I don't think the XP computer can find it. I'm basing this on my
experience with PC's with static IP's, but I think it would also apply
to printers. And I did admittedly leave the static part out of my
first reply.
Old August 31st 15, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I have an OKI C5600 printer on my home network. The two computers
which connect to it run Windows 10 and XP. The most uptodate driver
available for the printer is Windows 8.1. It's printing of Windows 10
but won't accept anything from XP. I suspect the problem is a clash of
network security policies but so far I haven't been able to find any
user interface for this in W10. Frustrating.

Is the XP computer looking for the wrong printer IP address, because
it changed?

it's not hard to find devices on a network, regardless of ip address.

If he set up a static IP for the printer, and the printer is connected
directly to the network, not one of the computers, and the IP changed,
I don't think the XP computer can find it.

it can with bonjour, without the user having to muck around configuring
things. once again, let the computer do the work *for* you.

I'm basing this on my
experience with PC's with static IP's, but I think it would also apply
to printers. And I did admittedly leave the static part out of my
first reply.

static ip was implied, but it doesn't actually matter.
Old August 31st 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 18:00:27 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

Never heard of it before. Have you used it on Windows PC's? Does it
work well? Easy to use?
Old September 1st 15, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Is the XP computer looking for the wrong printer IP address, because
it changed?

it's not hard to find devices on a network, regardless of ip address.

If he set up a static IP for the printer, and the printer is connected
directly to the network, not one of the computers, and the IP changed,
I don't think the XP computer can find it.

it can with bonjour, without the user having to muck around configuring
things. once again, let the computer do the work *for* you.

Never heard of it before.

bonjour is apple's implementation of zeroconf, which is available on
multiple platforms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-configuration_networking
Zero-configuration networking (zeroconf) is a set of technologies
that automatically creates a usable computer network based on the
Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) when computers or network
peripherals are interconnected. It does not require manual operator
intervention or special configuration servers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)
Bonjour is Apple's implementation of Zero-configuration networking
(Zeroconf), a group of technologies that includes service discovery,
address assignment, and hostname resolution. Bonjour locates devices
such as printers, other computers, and the services that those
devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System
(mDNS) service records.
Bonjour version 2.0, released on February 24, 2010, works with
Microsoft Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista and 7.[8] Systems use it
primarily to facilitate the installation, configuration, and use of
network printers, and thus it runs from startup. When Bonjour is
fully implemented on Windows, some features‹such as iChat‹allow for
communication between Windows and Mac OS. Bonjour for Windows also
adds Zeroconf capabilities to Internet Explorer, and provides a
Zeroconf implementation to Java VMs.[8][9]

Bonjour also comes bundled with some third-party applications, such
as Adobe's Photoshop CS3 suite,[10] to take advantage of Zeroconf
technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_(software)
Avahi is a free zero-configuration networking (zeroconf)
implementation, including a system for multicast DNS/DNS-SD service
discovery. It is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License
(LGPL).

Have you used it on Windows PC's? Does it
work well? Easy to use?

yes to all three.

just about all printers these days as well as many other devices have
bonjour. simply connect the printer or other device to the network and
it shows up on the computer.

the easiest way to get bonjour is install itunes, but if you don't want
itunes, you can install bonjour directly:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL999?locale=en_US
Old September 1st 15, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:30:55 -0400, nospam

Can you force it to set up static IP's?
Old September 1st 15, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

Can you force it to set up static IP's?

you can use static ips if you prefer, but i don't know why you'd want
to do that. it's a lot more hassle.

a better solution is what's often called static dhcp, where the device
uses dhcp to dynamically obtain an ip address but it's always the same
one every time because the router ties it to the mac address of the
device. it has all of the benefits of a static ip without the hassles.

if you ever want to change the device's ip, you just change it in the
router and renew the dhcp lease. done. no need to figure out how to
change the ip address on each individual device, which is usually not
straightforward and different for each device.

anyway, bonjour/zeroconf doesn't care what the ip address is because
it's based on services. given device advertises what it can do, such as
printing, scanning, etc. and if a computer needs that service, it
establishes a connection to the device using whatever ip the device
currently has. all of that happens behind the scenes, so if you
reconfigure the network, everything still works.
Old September 1st 15, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

rOn Mon, 31 Aug 2015 14:20:19 -0700, Bill W

wrote:

I have an OKI C5600 printer on my home network. The two computers
which connect to it run Windows 10 and XP. The most uptodate driver
available for the printer is Windows 8.1. It's printing of Windows 10
but won't accept anything from XP. I suspect the problem is a clash of
network security policies but so far I haven't been able to find any
user interface for this in W10. Frustrating.

Is the XP computer looking for the wrong printer IP address, because
it changed?

XP can find it, it can print to it, but it's rejected with a print
error. Maybe the new 8.1 driver is the problem, even though it's
supposed to compatible with XP. I'm too busy running in other circles
to find out right now.

Eric Stevens