A sad time for Sony/Minolta DSLR users

Old May 31st 12, 08:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Joe Kotroczo

Default A sad time for Sony/Minolta DSLR users

On 31/05/2012 12:53, Bruce wrote:
Joe wrote:

On 31/05/2012 11:09, Bruce wrote:
Joe wrote:
Shouldn't the salesman try to sell me the Sony 35mm f/1.4 G? It's out of
my price range anyway, but just out of curiosity: how does it compare to
the other 3?

It is an old Minolta lens that was designed for film. It is not the
best lens for digital capture. If you need f/1.4, the Sigma suits
digital sensors better because it was designed specifically to be used
with them.

Does that really matter all that much?

Not if you don't mind spending time editing RAW files to remove the
chromatic aberration and vignetting.

Wouldn't you do that kind of thing in software these days, automated?
Assuming there's appropriate profiles for the lenses.

Another alternative; a quick eBay search revealed that the Samyang
35mm f/1.4 is now available in Sony mount. I have used this lens on
Nikon and Kodak full frame DSLRs and it is very good. At £360 it
offers exceptional value for money, but it is large and heavy. I'm
not sure I would want to carry it around all day - the Sony 35mm f/1.8
is looking better and better!

But if you really need f/1.4, the Samyang is the one to buy and the
Sigma and Sony are the ones to avoid - Sigma because of dubious
quality control and Sony because it is an old design and very
expensive for what it is. I'm sorry I didn't suggest it earlier; we
don't stock Samyang and I wasn't aware until today that it is now
available in Sony mount.

Does the Samyang do AF or is it MF only?

All Samyang lenses are MF only. All the others discussed have AF.

If you prefer AF, don't need macro, and the difference between f/1.4
and f/1.8 is not important, the Sony 35mm f/1.8 is the one to buy.

With the £30 cashback, it's a steal.

It is, and it's on the shopping list.

Thanks.

--