Shutter Lag for AA's Vs. Proprietary

Old July 22nd 04, 08:12 PM
nitzsche

Default Shutter Lag for AA's Vs. Proprietary

Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
Lag.

This is false. Do you really think electrons move faster with
proprietary batteries?

Old July 22nd 04, 08:27 PM
Charlie Self

the6carrules notes:

Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
Lag (time from when you hit the shutter button to the time it actually
takes the picture). Now this is a particularly important issue for me
because my current DC280 is really bad with shutter lag and with a 2yr
old and a 5yr old, I end up missing shots because of this. I don't
want to spend cash on something that isn't better than what I have.

So my question is; Is the Best Buy guy goofy or he right?

He's goofy. You've just given me another reason for NEVER asking a question of
the sales clowns at BB.

I just sold my Minolta Dimage 7i, which had some shutter lag, and bought a
Pentax *istD which has almost none. Both use 4 AA batteries.

Sorry I can't help with your list, but the Best Buy sales guy is not an expert
on anything but bull****.

Charlie Self
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that
it is his duty." George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra (1901)

Old July 22nd 04, 08:43 PM
Steve m...

http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fusea...roduct=EX-P600

No shutter lag. It looks like a nice camera. B&H photo has it in stock.
Good luck,
Steve m... (ps. I just like the above camera specs. I have a 300d and
love it too. If you got $900 laying around then buy one of those instead...
but for $499 the Casio sounds good.)

"the6carrules" wrote in message
om...
I'm in the market for a new digital camera (currently have a 5 year
old Kodak DC280). I've narrowed my choices to a handful of various
sizes/features trying to further narrow that field down. I decided to
head to the stores to check out how a few of them felt in my hands to
see if that would remove them from the list. I first stopped at Best
Buy, not normally one of my favorite stores because of their prices,
but at least you can put your hands on the merchandise.

Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
Lag (time from when you hit the shutter button to the time it actually
takes the picture). Now this is a particularly important issue for me
because my current DC280 is really bad with shutter lag and with a 2yr
old and a 5yr old, I end up missing shots because of this. I don't
want to spend cash on something that isn't better than what I have.

So my question is; Is the Best Buy guy goofy or he right?

Keep in mind that he kept trying to steer me to the camera he
purchased the Sony DSC-V1 or a Nikon or Canon and away from all
others. I asked about the Sony DSC-W1, which is what prompted him to
tell me about the shutter lag issues with AA batteries and a 10 minute
diatribe on why the W1, Canon A80, etc.. were horrible cameras. (as
an aside, it is funny to talk with these people because the circuit
city guy told me to stay away from Sony and to go with AA batteries
and that a 1.5" LCD was optimal - everyone has their own opinions I
guess, but after having a 1.8" on my camera and a 3.5" on my
camcorder, 1.5 is way too small if you know what I mean)

Any wisdom anyone can impart will be greaty appreciated.

Btw, my list is as follows if there are any constructive comments on
any of these (I've read a number of reviews on each and do realize
that these are not direct competitors of each other - part of my issue
is deciding on form factor versus features and what features I'll
actually use coming from feature-less DC280, anything has more
features):

Canon S60
Sony DSC-W1
Kodak LS753 (only a slight upgrade in the feature department over my
current)
Canon G5 (great pictures, but probably overkill for me on size and
features)

Also is there any other camera that I should consider, keeping in mind
that I want excellent pictures, have to have a sharp/indoor/outdoor
LCD of at least 1.8", at least a 4MP camera and a form factor of
something less than 4.5W x 2.5H x 1.6D....so it will fit in my current
backpack with my Canon Optura 20 camcorder/accessories. Oh ya, money
is no object on this purchase.....just sold some property so I get a
camera and whatever I spend, my wife gets to spend that much on
something in the compressed carbon department.....

Again, thanks.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:49 PM
nitzsche

Steve m... (ps. I just like the above camera specs. I have a 300d and
love it too. If you got $900 laying around then buy one of those instead...
but for $499 the Casio sounds good.)

The 300D (which I also own) is under $800 with the kit lens at
www.buydig.com. It's well worth the extra $300, in opinion

Old July 22nd 04, 09:07 PM
Steve m...

Wow, $800... I'm almost feeling guilty that I didn't wait now. I love this
camera.....

Steve m....

. ..

Old July 22nd 04, 09:08 PM
Paul H.

"the6carrules" wrote in message
om...
snip
Anyway, the guy at Best Buy told me that I should stay away from
cameras that use AA battery because it drastically increases Shutter
Lag (time from when you hit the shutter button to the time it actually
takes the picture).

So my question is; Is the Best Buy guy goofy or he right?

He's absolutely right. AA batteries use low-quality electrons purchased on
the international surplus market; if you have access to a scanning neutrino
microscope, you'll notice that each electron coming out of every AA cell is
clearly marked with a red dot.