Tutorial photo slideshow CD Windows XP Irfanview Freeware w background music

Old March 19th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default Tutorial photo slideshow CD Windows XP Irfanview Freeware w background music

Anyone know why my 1st attempt at a photo cd with backround music failed?

When I googled, I found something called Irfanview was recommended as the
findest freeware to create an automatic JPG slideshow. So I installed this
freeware Irfanview version 3.98 (www.irfanview.com) with all its plugins
into Windows XP and created a slideshow JPEG CDROM with background MP3
music.

The slideshow CDROM works but without the music and without it being
automatic (I have to start up Irfanview and go into slideshow mode) so I
must have done something wrong.

But what did I do wrong?

Here is what I did....
1. I copied the background music MPG into c:\tobeburned
c:\tobeburned\music\background music 1.mpg
2. I copied the photographs for the slideshow into c:\tobeburned
c:\tobeburned\images\photograph 1.jpg"
c:\tobeburned\images\photograph 2.jpg"
c:\tobeburned\images\photograph 3.jpg"
3. I created a c:\tobeburned\slideshow.txt listing....
".\music\background music 1.mpg"
".\images\photograph 1.jpg"
".\images\photograph 2.jpg"
".\images\photograph 3.jpg"
4. I copied the irfanview program files to that folder....
c:\tobeburned\i_view32.exe
c:\tobeburned\i_view32.ini
c:\tobeburned\Plugins
etc.
5. I created "c:\tobeburned\autorun.inf" containing 2 lines....
[AutoRun]
open = i_view32.exe /slideshow=slideshow.txt
6. I burned the contents of that tobeburned directory.
7. The root level of the newly burned DVD disc comprised....
d:\autorun.inf
d:\slideshow.txt
d:\i_view32.exe
d:\i_view32.ini
d:\Plugins
d:\music\background music 1.mpg
d:\images\photograph 1.jpg
d:\images\photograph 2.jpg
d:\images\photograph 3.jpg
8. I then put that DVD disc into the computer and it didn't autoplay!
9. I can play the slideshow manually using the Irvanview menu....
File .... Slideshow .... Play
10. But no background music plays

What did I do wrong?
How do I get the DVD to autoplay and to play the music in the background?

Please help me,
Jane
Old March 19th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:46:44 GMT, Jane wrote:
How do I get the DVD to autoplay and to play the music in the background?

Since the explanation was long, I'll summarize the main questions as....

QUESTION #1:
How do we get Irfanview to start up automatically in slideshow mode?

QUESTION #2:
How do we tell Irfanview to simultaneously play the background music?

QUESTION #3:
Does it matter that I burned a DVD (with hundreds of photos) & not a CD?

Please help,
Jane
Old March 19th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jane wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:46:44 GMT, Jane wrote:

How do I get the DVD to autoplay and to play the music in the background?

Since the explanation was long, I'll summarize the main questions as....

QUESTION #1:
How do we get Irfanview to start up automatically in slideshow mode?

QUESTION #2:
How do we tell Irfanview to simultaneously play the background music?

QUESTION #3:
Does it matter that I burned a DVD (with hundreds of photos) & not a CD?

Please help,
Jane

In IrfanView's Help section, click on F.A.Q. and look at the first
question. The answer should shed some light. As far as I know, you can
start your music as the first or second file in the slideshow. Just
enter the music filename as though it's a pic.
Old March 19th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:

Anyone know why my 1st attempt at a photo cd with backround music failed?

When I googled, I found something called Irfanview was recommended as the
findest freeware to create an automatic JPG slideshow. So I installed this

^^^^^^ Intentional? I like it - finding the best. Works well
with Googling. :-) Can be verbed too, as in "To findest in Google".
Weirds the language though.

Just having fun. I think you have a serious answer. Now to
get this through the spell checker......

freeware Irfanview version 3.98 (www.irfanview.com) with all its plugins
into Windows XP and created a slideshow JPEG CDROM with background MP3
music.

John H
Old March 19th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 03:02:36 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:
In IrfanView's Help section, click on F.A.Q. and look at the first
question. The answer should shed some light. As far as I know, you can
start your music as the first or second file in the slideshow. Just
enter the music filename as though it's a pic.

I know. I know. I read that many times BEFORE I posted. The Irfanview FAQ
"implies" the MPG can be the first file but the fact is I did EVERYTHING in
the short FAQ and I still don't get any sound nor do I get an autoplay.

The FAQ left MUCH out, like what do we do about the plugins directory and
what is suppoed to make the irfenview file be executed in the first place
and whether or not it works with DVDs or just CD's, etc.

That's why I'm hoping SOMEONE on this planet has successfully created an
Irfanjview slideshow for others (who don't have Irfanview) to play on their
machines. I'll wait to see if someone has actually done it 'cuz they must
have surmounted all the problems I'm seeing.

Thank you,
Jane
Old March 19th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:22:46 GMT, John H wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:46:44 GMT, Jane
wrote:
Weirds the language though.

I love your expressivity!
Jane
Old March 19th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:05:37 GMT, Jane
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 11:22:46 GMT, John H wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:46:44 GMT, Jane
wrote:
Weirds the language though.

I love your expressivity!
Jane

Conscience brings me to confess that I was plagiarizing Calvin
from the comic strip. Oh, to be so astute as he! ;-) Hobbes
observation followed: "Maybe we can eventually make language a
complete impediment to understanding."

John H
Old March 19th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

Its easy in Nero and studio9 but I don't have ifranview and paintshop photo
album is also a pain in the fact you have to place the MP3 (not Mpg) in the
same folder as the images.
Microsoft has a power toy for creating a HMTL slideshow's for web sites and
as an Exe for playing on disc from a computer. (not a DVD player).

If you have Roxio or Pinnacle burning software they also have slide shows
that play on DVD players or Computers

Old March 19th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jane wrote:
Anyone know why my 1st attempt at a photo cd with backround music
failed?

When I googled, I found something called Irfanview was recommended as
the findest freeware to create an automatic JPG slideshow. So I
installed this freeware Irfanview version 3.98 (www.irfanview.com)
with all its plugins into Windows XP and created a slideshow JPEG
CDROM with background MP3 music.

The slideshow CDROM works but without the music and without it being
automatic (I have to start up Irfanview and go into slideshow mode)
so I must have done something wrong.

But what did I do wrong?

The best software for making slideshows with music or sound effects is
Adobe's Photoshop Album 2. Not only does it do all the work for you,
including appending the background music, fades, sound effects, transitions
etc., but it does so via a simple interface which a child could understand,
and it also saves the slideshow as a .pdf, and burns it to a cd-rom ready to
post to your relatives etc. I believe you have to put a stamp on the
envelope, but that's all! All your friends have to do is open the envelope
and pop the cd-rom into any computer with a cd drive, the display software
is already on the disk.

It is also the best software for creating sub-libraries for all your
different types of photos, and e-mailing reduced-size pictures to your
friends (it reduces the photos automatically, so you friends don't get a
billboard-sized 8-megapixel monster which takes a week to download).

I believe the program is downloadable from the Adobe site, and could well be
free for all I know.

Dennis.

Old March 19th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote:
Weirds the language though.

I love your expressivity!
Jane

Conscience brings me to confess that I was plagiarizing Calvin
from the comic strip. Oh, to be so astute as he! ;-) Hobbes
observation followed: "Maybe we can eventually make language a
complete impediment to understanding."

To late, already been done.

--
Bill Funk