Fishing for opinions on lenses

Old December 6th 04, 06:54 PM
Petros

Default Fishing for opinions on lenses

I will be doing a good bit of photographing scale models for print
(offset). What I'm hoping you can help me with is to give me some ideas
on what kind of prime lens would work best for this. I've got a Sigma
SD 9, so Sigma is the limit here, but I'm willing to invest in a EX
grade lens. Examples (not the greatest) of what I'll be doing can be
seen in the M16, L.R.D.G. and Chevy galleries on my web site
(www.petros.pl). I've been looking at the 20mm f1.8 EX Asp RF which
goes for around $370 but I can't find any close up shots done with this
lens to check distortion. OTOH I've read on some modeling sites that a
50mm prime is good for this kind of work, but that was in reference to
a full frame 35mm body...

Anyway, I don't have access to a store with Sigma lenses for Sigma
bodies to try any of them out, and I need some experienced advice. I
will be indebted! Thanks
--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos
Old December 6th 04, 08:04 PM
Alan Browne

Petros wrote:

[...]

For scale models, I would expect that photographing fine detail would be an
asset, and therefore a lens with macro capability would be necessary. A 50mm
macro will come out as a 87mm with the Sigma sensor which is reasonable for
macro work as well as full scale. (You didn't say how big the work is).

Photodo ratings. B&H prices
Grade: 4.2 35mm/AF Sigma AF 50/2,8 EX Macro (US$249)
Grade: 4.2 35mm/AF Sigma AF 90/2,8 Makro discontinued
Grade: 4.1 35mm/AF Sigma AF 105/2,8 EX Macro (US$369)

While these are not the sharpest numbers for prime/macros, they are
decent.http://www.photodo.com/pix/lens/mtf/SIAF9028MACR.gif for the 90mm
indicates a well behaved lens. The shallow DOF may make scale model work very hard.

http://www.photodo.com/pix/lens/mtf/SIAF5028EXMAKRO.gif 50mm is not bad either
closed down, but rolls to softness rather quick wide open.

I'm not sure what 'newer' lenses Sigma have that might be better.

A 20mm used close up will produce a lot of perspective and distortion problems.
If you can keep it centered, level and flat to the work, it won't be so bad,
but that probably doesn't make for the photos you're looking for

Old December 6th 04, 10:48 PM
Petros

Alan Browne posted:
Petros wrote:

[...]

Wow! You've given me a lot of helpful information. Than you!

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos
Old December 7th 04, 12:01 AM
Skip M

"Petros" wrote in message
Alan Browne posted:
Petros wrote:

[...]

Like Alan, I think you're best off with the 50mm f2.8 macro. Any thing
wider, and you may run into distortion problems, anything longer, you may
find yourself across the room trying to get the image framed right in what
is acting like a 153mm lens instead of the 90mm you thought you had...G

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old December 7th 04, 02:54 PM
Colm

I third that. I find the Sigma 50mm macro is just right for still macro
subjects on my 10D.
Stop it down to f45 if you want to see how much dust is on your sensor :-)

--
Colm

Old December 7th 04, 04:56 PM
Petros

Colm posted:
I third that. I find the Sigma 50mm macro is just right for still macro
subjects on my 10D.
Stop it down to f45 if you want to see how much dust is on your sensor :-)

Three votes for the 50 mm. I'm convinced

And I like the fact that it's cheaper, too! I'm assuming that the tests
here and on photozone.de are referring to the new 50mm, the EX DG...

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos