SD cards - ordinary or high speed - what's the difference?

Old November 5th 04, 07:39 AM
Chris

Default SD cards - ordinary or high speed - what's the difference?

SD cards - ordinary or high speed - what's the difference?
What difference would I notice?
Are they a lot more expensive?
Are they worth it?
What are the good makes?
--
Chris
Old November 5th 04, 10:10 AM
Bob Williams

Chris wrote:
SD cards - ordinary or high speed - what's the difference?
What difference would I notice?
Are they a lot more expensive?
Are they worth it?
What are the good makes?

Most P/S cameras cannot really take advantage of high speed memory cards.
The bottleneck in writing to the memory card is the P/S camera itself.
Many upscale SLRs have advanced software and can write very fast.
If you are into rapid shooting of sports events with an upscale SLR it
will pay to have a high speed card, but with most P/S cameras you
probably won't see any significant difference in shooting speed.
However, you will see a significant difference in download speed to
your computer if you use a Firewire or USB 2 card reader.

I have not seen any difference in reliability or performance vs brand
name. They all work well.
Bob Williams

Old November 5th 04, 10:22 AM
Brian Sheldon

"Bob Williams" wrote in message

Chris wrote:
[...]

My Minolta Z3 refuses to take more than 5 seconds 640x480 video at 30fps
with a standard SD card, I guess that's as much as it's own internal memory
can hold. I'm waiting for a high speed 1GB SD card to arrive, if anyone in
the UK wants one search ebuyer.co.uk for a Kingmax card, £59 inc VAT & free
delivery.