ppi, dpi, and printing photos

Old July 23rd 04, 01:32 AM
BF

Default ppi, dpi, and printing photos

when I crop them I crop them to 8x10 proportions, but am not sure what to do
from there. One I have for example is now 2374x1899 pixles...before crop it
was 3078x2048 at 180 ppi (according to photoshop) after crop its ppi is now
237.4 (what does ppi affect here)

3078 divided by 10 inches wide = 307 PPI. You couldn't have seen 180.
Old July 23rd 04, 04:44 AM
jbruceb

It seems like you are throwing away too many pixels, unless you want to cut
out much of the image. To keep the maximum image in 8 X 10 (without
resampling), make the 2048 pixels the 8" dimension. This gives you 256
pixels/inch, which is fine for 8X10 prints. The 10" dimension is reduced to
2560 pixels, giving you a 5.24 Mpixel image, instead of the 4.5 Mpixels that
you are getting.

Old July 23rd 04, 06:05 AM
Bob

"BF" wrote in message

when I crop them I crop them to 8x10 proportions, but am not sure what

to do
from there. One I have for example is now 2374x1899 pixles...before

crop it
was 3078x2048 at 180 ppi (according to photoshop) after crop its ppi is

now
237.4 (what does ppi affect here)

3078 divided by 10 inches wide = 307 PPI. You couldn't have seen 180.

I think you missed the part where is says "...before crop it" (before I crop
it to 8x10)

in fact if you look at this post:

you will see how you misunderstood. but thanks anyway.

Bob