Nikon D70

Old December 4th 04, 05:11 AM
MAtt

Default Nikon D70

Hello,
I am a newbie to photography so please excuse my naive questions. I
recently purchased the Nikon D70 and I was wondering if someone had
any suggestions for a good book so I could learn to use the darn
thing. Proper exposure, aperture settings, shutter settings..etc. I am
going to a wedding tomorrow and I would like to take some photos. Can
anyone maybe give me some helpful hints as to where my settings should
be?? I really have enjoyed taking photos and I really would like to
make this a life long hobby.

Thanks for your patience,
MS
Old December 4th 04, 05:29 AM
Jeffery Harrison

For the wedding set the camera ISO to 400 and put the camera into Program,
let it do the work. You'll need to set your White Balance to the appropriate
setting (probably Incandescent inside and Daylight outside) and set your
Resolution to Large with Minimum JPEG compression. After that you'll be able
to use your camera like an expensive point and shoot and get good quality
images. You won't have to think about the camera, can enjoy the event and
still be able to make some very nice prints for the bride and groom if you
want to.

Jeffery S. Harrison

om...

Old December 5th 04, 02:37 AM
Kurt Heinen

MAtt wrote:
Hello,
I am a newbie to photography so please excuse my naive questions. I
recently purchased the Nikon D70 and I was wondering if someone had
any suggestions for a good book so I could learn to use the darn
thing. Proper exposure, aperture settings, shutter settings..etc. I am
going to a wedding tomorrow and I would like to take some photos. Can
anyone maybe give me some helpful hints as to where my settings should
be?? I really have enjoyed taking photos and I really would like to
make this a life long hobby.

Thanks for your patience,
MS

Check out this site: Alot of good info!
http://members.aol.com/bhaber/D70/lessons.html

Old December 5th 04, 09:17 PM
© John ©

I'll second getting Thom Hogan's D70 eBook.

Sorry but I disagree, I have emailed Thom every day since the first of
December without any reply. I ordered it on the first of December but later
decided to cancel the order. I have had no email conformations or nothing
but the money has been taken from the card, not very happy at all. Any body
else manage to get hold of Thom.

Old December 5th 04, 10:03 PM
© John ©

I can't speak to your situation, in my case paying through PayPal I
received confirmation from them almost immediately. I received an e-mail
from Thom 2 days later stating it would ship the following day and
received
the product shortly thereafter. The eBook itself is quite technical, much
better than the Dennis Curtain book on my old 990.

Does Thom read this group or could someone kindly ask him to check his
email, thanks.

Old December 9th 04, 02:51 AM
Solly

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:17:21 -0000, "© John ©"
wrote:

I'll second getting Thom Hogan's D70 eBook.

Sorry but I disagree, I have emailed Thom every day since the first of
December without any reply. I ordered it on the first of December but later
decided to cancel the order. I have had no email conformations or nothing
but the money has been taken from the card, not very happy at all. Any body
else manage to get hold of Thom.

He goes on dpreview's D70 forum all the time. You might want to try
contacting him there.
Old December 11th 04, 10:52 AM
Don Farias

"Randy Howard" wrote in message
.. .

It seems a bit strange that someone competent to put together an
authoritative
book on a complicated digital camera in 2004 can not discover how to
provide
a method for purchasing it online without the necessity of mailing you a
CD-ROM over the much more convenient immediate download.

Thom gave a detailed the reason for this in the Dpreview forum. I don't
remember the details but the explanation seemed reasonable (dealing with
copywrite protection, I think).
FWIW I had no problem at all with my order.
Don F