storage medium

Old December 12th 04, 04:52 AM
Cassie

Default storage medium

I have an Olympus c-2100uz and find that even though I am still trying to
learn how to use it, the storage medium it uses, the Smart Memory card, is
being phased out. Olympus says that the camera will not be able to make
use of any other storage card. Is this the way it all is headed? Your
camera is only good as long as the memory for it is available? Really
makes me nervous about ever getting a new camera. Oh, almost forgot to
ask ... just how long do these storage cards last? Thanks.

Old December 13th 04, 09:41 PM
The PhAnToM

Cassie wrote:
I have an Olympus c-2100uz and find that even though I am still

trying to
learn how to use it, the storage medium it uses, the Smart Memory

card, is
being phased out. Olympus says that the camera will not be able to

make
use of any other storage card. Is this the way it all is headed?

Your
camera is only good as long as the memory for it is available?

Really
makes me nervous about ever getting a new camera. Oh, almost forgot

ask ... just how long do these storage cards last? Thanks.

The cameras use different types of "flash" memory. All flash memory is
the same to users like us because all types of flash use what are
basically tiny capacitors on the silicon chip (which is inside of those
little flash cards) to store electrical charge. Short of catastrophic
damage to the card, this charge will not deplete... therefore the data
can stay on the chip for *years*. The *minimum* long term performance
of most flash memory arrays call for 20,000 read/write cycles with
_minimal_ loss of data even then.

The current memory cards you have will probably outlast the life of the
camera. Stock up on an extra card or two when they are on sale, and
toss them into a drawer somewhere on the off chance that the card(s)
you use now will fail for some external reason (loss, physical damage,
etc.). I wouldn't worry about it.

Old December 14th 04, 05:55 PM
Wolfgang Weisselberg

The PhAnToM wrote:

Cassie wrote:
I have an Olympus c-2100uz and find that even though I am still trying to
learn how to use it, the storage medium it uses, the Smart Memory card, is
being phased out. Olympus says that the camera will not be able to make
use of any other storage card. Is this the way it all is headed?

Niche formats will be discontinued. Mainstream formats (SD card,
CF card) will be readily available for another decade at least
--- tons and tons of appliances use and depend on them. And
there are many other manufacturers around (Lexar, SanDisk, etc.
etc. etc.) if your camera maker stops doing so.

Your
camera is only good as long as the memory for it is available?

I would not worry about the market leading formats with diverse
manufacturers.

Really
makes me nervous about ever getting a new camera. Oh, almost forgot to
ask ... just how long do these storage cards last? Thanks.

The current memory cards you have will probably outlast the life of the
camera.

.... since that may be 'just' 3 years --- look at the cameras that
were new in winter 2001. Which one would you care to use today?
How about ones from 1999?

Stock up on an extra card or two when they are on sale, and
toss them into a drawer somewhere on the off chance that the card(s)
you use now will fail for some external reason (loss, physical damage,
etc.). I wouldn't worry about it.

Good advise for a niche format.

With common formats (CF, SD) I'd wait as prices are falling all
the time. Just compare today's prices with those of last year ...

-Wolfgang