New Life in my LR CCC & PS CC

Old September 13th 18, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default New Life in my LR CCC & PS CC

Last week my 2010 iMac choked on its dying HDD, so I treated myself with a new
27” 5K 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 32GB DDR4. Have been limited to my iPad Pro for
much of the last few days so I was relieved when UPS delivered that new iMac
yesterday.

I spent some time on the new setup which was eased by having much of my prior
configuration handled by iCloud.
Cutting to the chase; I have been playing with LR CCC/PS CC, and my various
third party plugin stuff, On1 PR, Exposure X3, DxO NIK, and some others. The
speed increase in importing RAW files into LR CCC has, for me, been an eye
opener. That includes building “Smart Previews” on import. Edits and exports
are all so much better than in the past. Now I can truly appreciate what Adobe
has done to improve LR CCC/PS CC that I just didn’t get with my old setup.
Everything is snappier even when using the third party stuff as stand-alones.

I should have updated years ago.

Old September 13th 18, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 17:02:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Last week my 2010 iMac choked on its dying HDD, so I treated myself with a new
27” 5K 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 32GB DDR4. Have been limited to my iPad Pro for
much of the last few days so I was relieved when UPS delivered that new iMac
yesterday.

I'm still up in the air about this for a variety of reasons, but how
much did that cost you?

And you should stuff an SSD in the old one. Sell it, use it as a
backup or server, whatever, but it's still useful.

Old September 13th 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 12, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Last week my 2010 iMac choked on its dying HDD, so I treated myself with a
new 27” 5K 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 32GB DDR4. Have been limited to my iPad Pro for
much of the last few days so I was relieved when UPS delivered that new iMac
yesterday.

I'm still up in the air about this for a variety of reasons, but how
much did that cost you?

$3,199 + Cal Sales Tax. I also picked up some cables to make connections to my
old FW800 drives, so my total to Apple was $3,494.95

And you should stuff an SSD in the old one. Sell it, use it as a
backup or server, whatever, but it's still useful.

That is exactly what I intend to do. I have been checking with OWC for the best
way to go about that. Fortunately it is a lot easier to get into the older iMacs
through the front than the new ones with the sealed displays.

Old September 13th 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 13/09/2018 03:01, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 12, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Last week my 2010 iMac choked on its dying HDD, so I treated myself with a
new 27” 5K 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 32GB DDR4. Have been limited to my iPad Pro for
much of the last few days so I was relieved when UPS delivered that new iMac
yesterday.

I'm still up in the air about this for a variety of reasons, but how
much did that cost you?

$3,199 + Cal Sales Tax. I also picked up some cables to make connections to my
old FW800 drives, so my total to Apple was $3,494.95

And you should stuff an SSD in the old one. Sell it, use it as a
backup or server, whatever, but it's still useful.

I wouldn't spend too much - the speed of the SSD will likely be limited
by the interface. Even a basic SSD completely transformed my old 2011
iMac. Not just speed - a quiet computer turned virtually silent.

That is exactly what I intend to do. I have been checking with OWC for the best
way to go about that. Fortunately it is a lot easier to get into the older iMacs
through the front than the new ones with the sealed displays.

And yes, the older iMacs are a lot easier to open up - IIRC the only
non-standard tools are some sucker things to lift the glass. I wouldn't
have even tried on my newer (27" 2015) iMac - paid handsomely for the
pre-installed SSD.

I rate the iMacs highly on pretty much every level, but I do wish they
made them easier to pull apart, and steered away from things like
soldered memory on some models.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old September 13th 18, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:01:43 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 12, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Last week my 2010 iMac choked on its dying HDD, so I treated myself with a
new 27” 5K 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 32GB DDR4. Have been limited to my iPad Pro for
much of the last few days so I was relieved when UPS delivered that new iMac
yesterday.

I'm still up in the air about this for a variety of reasons, but how
much did that cost you?

$3,199 + Cal Sales Tax. I also picked up some cables to make connections to my
old FW800 drives, so my total to Apple was $3,494.95

Yeah, that's a *lot* of computer, and should be very competent for
many years.

And you should stuff an SSD in the old one. Sell it, use it as a
backup or server, whatever, but it's still useful.

That is exactly what I intend to do. I have been checking with OWC for the best
way to go about that. Fortunately it is a lot easier to get into the older iMacs
through the front than the new ones with the sealed displays.

And that is one of my concerns about buying into Apple. It's going to
be a while before I decide.

Old September 13th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 12, 2018, RJH wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

Last week my 2010 iMac choked on its dying HDD, so I treated myself with a
new 27” 5K 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 32GB DDR4. Have been limited to my iPad
Pro for much of the last few days so I was relieved when UPS delivered that new
iMac yesterday.

I'm still up in the air about this for a variety of reasons, but how
much did that cost you?

$3,199 + Cal Sales Tax. I also picked up some cables to make connections to
my old FW800 drives, so my total to Apple was $3,494.95

And you should stuff an SSD in the old one. Sell it, use it as a
backup or server, whatever, but it's still useful.

I wouldn't spend too much - the speed of the SSD will likely be limited
by the interface. Even a basic SSD completely transformed my old 2011
iMac. Not just speed - a quiet computer turned virtually silent.

Yup I figure that I can put a fresh 489GB-1TB SSD into the 2010 21.5” without
it costing me an arm and a leg.

That is exactly what I intend to do. I have been checking with OWC for the
best way to go about that. Fortunately it is a lot easier to get into the older
iMacs through the front than the new ones with the sealed displays.

And yes, the older iMacs are a lot easier to open up - IIRC the only
non-standard tools are some sucker things to lift the glass. I wouldn't
have even tried on my newer (27" 2015) iMac - paid handsomely for the
pre-installed SSD.

Fortunately I picked up the necessary tools from iFixit a few years ago, so I
have a pair of the suction cups. Just don’t forget the thermal sensor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nr0gumf3ztq48fp/IMG_2595e.jpg?dl=0

I rate the iMacs highly on pretty much every level, but I do wish they
made them easier to pull apart, and steered away from things like
soldered memory on some models.

Yup! Doing anything with them these days is royal PIA.

Savageduck

Life MJK Digital Photography 0 December 5th 08 10:55 PM
Life Balance Coaching: Balance Work And Life Like A Pro 88059355 Digital Photography 1 January 6th 08 08:32 PM
the AIM of LIFE . abdo911 35mm Photo Equipment 6 October 28th 07 09:36 PM
the AIM of LIFE . abdo911 Digital Photography 0 October 27th 07 05:09 PM
the AIM of LIFE . abdo911 Digital SLR Cameras 0 October 27th 07 05:06 PM