Maximum Data Transfer rate Nikon D200 & CF card?

Old July 7th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rod Out back

Default Maximum Data Transfer rate Nikon D200 & CF card?

Folks,

I have a number of Sandisk Extreme III CF cards to use in my Nikon D200. I was
considering buying a few Extreme IV cards, as they are supposed to be twice as
fast as the version III.

On the whole, the cards I have work extremely well, and along with the buffer in
the camera, you can take around 15-18 photos quickly before the camera has to
wait to dump images to the card. The only time (so far) that I ran into this
was the arrival of the first QANTAS 707 at Longreach, where taking a lot of
shots quickly was usefull.

I just read a site that had done a bit of a test on card speeds
(http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...cid=6007-8197), and it
seems the read/write speeds for the Extreme IV and Extreme III cards are only
0.4 Mb/sec different. Doesnt seem a great difference for a card that is supposed
to be twice the speed of the Extreme III.

I suppose I hoped that going to the Extreme IV, I might have a card that can be
written to faster than I can take individual shots. It doesnt seem likely, as
the bottleneck seems to be more in the transfer rate of the camera, rather than
the card(??) Otherwise, there should be a MUCH more noticeable transfer rate
between the Extreme IV (266x) and the Extreme III (133x).
Or are there other factors that affect the speed of transfer that I'm not aware
of?
Of course, the Nikon manual doesnt state anywhere the speed of the camera in
transferring files to a card...

My other thought is whether the camera continues writing to the card from buffer
while I am taking another shot. Or, does it wait until I'm not doing anything
before writing to card?

I wondered if anyone knew of the max speed that the D200 is capable of
transferring data to the CF, assuming the card is able to receive data at that
max rate.

Any thoughts and ideas welcomed.

-------

Cheers,

Rod...Out Back
Old July 7th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby[_2_]

FWIW I just purchased an AData 266x that is no faster than the AData 120x
card in terms of emptying the buffer of my D200, nor does it seem any faster
in data transfer via USB 2.0 between card and PC.

Toby

Old July 8th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rod Out back

On 7 Jul 2007 04:28:04 -0500, "Toby" wrote:

FWIW I just purchased an AData 266x that is no faster than the AData 120x
card in terms of emptying the buffer of my D200, nor does it seem any faster
in data transfer via USB 2.0 between card and PC.

Toby

Toby,

Finally tracked down a web site over the weekend that states max data write
speed of Nikon D200 is 8.7Mb/Sec. This suggests that anything faster than a
Sandisk Ultra II (66x or Minimum speed of 10 Mb/sec) is a waste of money.

If this is correct, even my extreme III cards (133x) are faster than the camera
can utilise.

.. .

Old July 9th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Rod Out back :
On 7 Jul 2007 04:28:04 -0500, "Toby" wrote:

FWIW I just purchased an AData 266x that is no faster than the AData 120x
card in terms of emptying the buffer of my D200, nor does it seem any faster
in data transfer via USB 2.0 between card and PC.

[ ... ]

Finally tracked down a web site over the weekend that states max data write
speed of Nikon D200 is 8.7Mb/Sec. This suggests that anything faster than a
Sandisk Ultra II (66x or Minimum speed of 10 Mb/sec) is a waste of money.

If this is correct, even my extreme III cards (133x) are faster than the camera
can utilise.

But you still may get the benefit of faster transfer of a card
full of images to the computer.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564