Batteries Charger VS Batteries capacity

Old November 1st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Batteries Charger VS Batteries capacity

2 years ago, I bought a one hour NIMH charger. That charger came with
2300mah batteries. What's append if I bought new batteries with more
capacity like 2700mah or 2900mah ?

The charger will not charge completly the batteries? or it doesnt
matter?

Do we need to buy new charger everytime when the compagny create new
batteries with more capacity?

Thanks
Patrick

Old November 1st 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
2 years ago, I bought a one hour NIMH charger. That charger came with
2300mah batteries. What's append if I bought new batteries with more
capacity like 2700mah or 2900mah ?

The charger will not charge completly the batteries? or it doesnt
matter?

It does not matter as all one hour chargers are not controlled by a timer
but by feedback from the batteries. When fully charged, the temperature of
the battery goes up and the voltage at the battery terminals drops slightly,
the charger terminates the rapid charge upon detecting this. The better ones
maintain a low current trickle charge current however after they have
switched off.

If you are into buying new NiMHs you might want to look for what I just
bought two weeks ago: New generation NiMHs which do not claim higher
capacity but very low self discharge (should have like 85% of their charge
after a year in storage) and 1000 charge / discharge cycles. They are more
expensive, but if they keep the promise, they are worth it. They are called
Eneloop and are made by Sanyo. Of course nobody has long term experience
with these.

Do we need to buy new charger everytime when the compagny create new
batteries with more capacity?

Definately No

Thanks
Patrick

Old November 2nd 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

if I buy the new generation nimh (Eneloop), if I understand I can still
use my one hour charge right?

I want good battery for scuba diving... it's a littble hard to change
my batterie underwater!!

Thanks
Patrick

Cgiorgio wrote:
ups.com...

Old November 2nd 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 1 Nov 2006 16:07:32 -0800, wrote:

if I buy the new generation nimh (Eneloop), if I understand I can still
use my one hour charge right?

Yes, especially if you use the charger with lower capacity
batteries. Some older "smart" chargers, designed when current NiMH
batteries were 1,600 mAh or lower might cut out early on high
capacity batteries if the charger manufacturer didn't trust their
charger's I.Q. and added a protective time-out circuit. So, for
example, my old 1 Hour charger that was designed for 1,600mAh cells
might shut down at 90 or 100 minutes, which would make it useful for
newer NiMH cells having capacities of up to 2,400 or nearly 2,700
mAh.

I want good battery for scuba diving... it's a littble hard to change
my batterie underwater!!

Any reputable brand should be good. New Eneloop NiMH cells will
have less capacity than almost any other new NiMH cell you can find,
but whether they're right for you depends on how you'll be using
your battery powered equipment. If you'll need to recharge them
more every couple of weeks or more frequently, then standard NiMH
cells would be better, since they'd power your underwater devices
longer per charge. If on the other hand they'd go a month or two
before needing to be recharged, you'd probably get more useful hours
per charge from Eneloops. But in cases like this, plain old
alkaline batteries may also provide a good alternative.

There's one other factor to consider. If you'll only be using the
u.w. equipment and batteries during a short season and then pack the
batteries away for the 8 or 9 months until the next season, Eneloops
will do fine. Leaving regular NiMH batteries unused and uncharged
for periods that long isn't good for their health, and even if they
still seem good for the next season, they may have lost a good deal
of their original capacity.

Old November 2nd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Cgiorgio wrote:
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
[...]

Not much more expensive, I paid $12 at Ritz retail (tho only place I've
seen them retail). Can't comment except to say never charged, 640 shots
so far and still shooting.
I was in Walmart and saw batteries by Rayovac called Hybrids. They claim
to have 4x less self discharge than regular NiMH. They were rated at
2100mah (1000mah for AAA's) and claimed 80% or their charge after 6
months. There is some cooperation between Sanyo and Rayovac, see
http://wistechnology.com/article.php?id=786 and judge for yourself.
Dave Cohen

Old November 3rd 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

wrote:
Does anyone know the mah for the Eneloop?

Pat

Dave Cohen wrote:
Cgiorgio wrote:
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...
[...]

Between 2000mah and 2100mah, but I've never got anywhere near the shots
I'm getting now with other 2000mah's and I'm still waiting for eneloops
to run down.

Dave Cohen
Old November 3rd 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

If I understand...

If I'm looking for battries who will give me more picture with my
digital camera and I dont care about the fact that maybe I will need to
recharge it every day, it's better for me to by new 2900mah batteries ?
right?

The only advantage I see with eneloop it's you can store it for a long
time and it will still have a lot of power...

Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Dave Cohen wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone know the mah for the Eneloop?

Pat

Dave Cohen wrote:
Cgiorgio wrote:
ups.com...

Old November 3rd 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SteveB

Yes.
oups.com...

Dave Cohen wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone know the mah for the Eneloop?

Pat

Dave Cohen wrote:
Cgiorgio wrote:
ups.com...