20D included software

Old January 17th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default 20D included software

I have just purchases a 20D and have spent a bit of time learning the
camera. I am now ready to spend some time learning the software for
any post processing that may be needed.

It came with:
Photoshop Elements 2
Digital Photo Professional 1.6.1
EOS Viewer Utility 1.2.1.14
ZoomBrowser EX

I am not sure how much PP I will get into, but expect I will spend
some time learning the software package so given the need will be
familiar with it. My question: Is the above software a solid set of
programs that allow for suitable result or is it so limited as to be
almost useless for anything but the most rudimentary PP.

I generally spend the time to learn a piece of software and rarely if
ever upgrade. I would still be using my Word/Office 95 if an upgrade
didn't come with my last computer.

If it is extremely rudimentary what program would provide far better
interface, features, usability, etc at a reasonable cost?

Thanks

Old January 17th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Joe

I think you will find that the software set that comes with the camera will
do the trick for most things you need. However, its a matter of how well.
From an image point Elements 2 does most if not all of what I need and where
it doesn't I revert back to Photoshop 6. DPP is not a bad converter but is
clunky to use as somebody else points out. All in all for the money the
total package is hard to beat. One advantage of starting with that set of
gear is that it provides a good grounding in the basics of digital workflow.
If like me you choose to move on for a little more power or convenience then
you will be well grounded. I now use Breezebrowser Pro and Downloader for
most of my RAW management and am very happy with that. When converted to
JPG as I indicated above, its back to Elements or Photoshop 6.

regards
Don

Old January 18th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

You have Raw to shoot with on the 20D so you will need Photoshop CS2 for
100% use. It is the gold standard. And once you learn Photoshop you will
have no trouble keeping up with all the up grades. I started with PS 7.0 And
it was a tough learning curve but after learning a bit about it going up to
CS2 has not been a big problem.