poss slightly off topic Monopods..

Old May 16th 05, 12:47 PM
Loopy

Default poss slightly off topic Monopods..

first off budget is tight, and I'm in the UK (so some may not be available
here)

I think I want a monopod (sometimes a tripod just too much hassle to take
with you, set up in a hurry (I do wildlife mainly)) but I suffer horrific
camera shake (illness probably main cause) so the use of hand held = waste
of time.

can anyone recommend a good (not too pricey) monopod that could double as a
proper walking stick too (none of the 3.5 KG of camera supporting ones sound
strong enough to be a walking stick too.. )

just looking for recommendations.. I've been looking at the Giotto (I
think) with a 15 KG load, its a bit over my budget, but is it worth the
extra?

or what would you recommend?

lastly, if I carry my normal stick and this, (so no need for the strength)
what would you recommend..

Camera is a Eos 300D and I tend to stick to the Tamron 28-300 lens (changing
with a monopods gonna be harder than with a tripod, and the only other lens
I have is the 18-55 USM kit lens.

hope that makes some sense..

Mark

Old May 16th 05, 01:03 PM
John Bean

Loopy wrote:
[...]

I have a Leki "Sierra Photo" hiking pole which has a 1/4"
camera thread under a wooden knob on the top. Super quality
as a walking stick, weighs 100g or so, almost as good as a
"real" monopod for camera support.

I bought mine from an outdoors shop for about £30, but it's
also available branded as the Novoflex BBStock from mail
order photographic dealers like Speed Graphic. I prefer the
Leki original (the Novoflex is bright blue!) an it's a
little cheaper. I can trust it to carry my weight when it
needs to so I certainly have no worries about it carrying
the weight of my camera :-)

--
Regards

John Bean
Old May 16th 05, 10:22 PM
Gaderian

Loopy wrote:

just looking for recommendations.. I've been looking at the Giotto
(I think) with a 15 KG load, its a bit over my budget, but is it
worth the extra?

Manfrotto makes a durable one that will suit your needs both as a monopod
and a walking stick. The model I have (679) has a 10 Kg load with both
1/4 - 3/8 in. camera fixing screws. Plenty of strength for my *istD and
assorted lenses. It's listed at Henry's http://www.henrys.com/ for
$57.99CAD

Remember of you're going to attach an optional head (quick release, side
position etc.) that will be extra.
My 2 cents worth

Old May 17th 05, 09:40 AM
Loopy

Thanks to Both of you for taking the time out to reply to me,

it sounds like with one of these products ill have what I want/need, so its
now to find a RL stockist so I can get a feel for them and see which I like
best.

again Many Thanks!!

Mark

Old May 17th 05, 10:54 AM
Tony Polson

"Loopy" wrote:

Thanks to Both of you for taking the time out to reply to me,

it sounds like with one of these products ill have what I want/need, so its
now to find a RL stockist so I can get a feel for them and see which I like
best.

May I suggest the Gitzo MonoTrek?

This is a lightweight combination monopod/walking stick with a
removable ball head. It might be ideal for you:

http://www.adorama.com/GZ1560.html