Red filter included with contrast filters...

Old November 21st 04, 10:29 PM
Jed Savage

Default Red filter included with contrast filters...

I bought a used darkroom from a friend and it came with VC filters...
along with the filters (in the same box but not cased with the other
filters) there is also a red filter (very RED red) same construction
but has it's own case - what's this for?

Old November 22nd 04, 01:32 AM
Joe Makowiec

On 21 Nov 2004 in rec.photo.darkroom, Jed Savage wrote:

I bought a used darkroom from a friend and it came with VC filters...
along with the filters (in the same box but not cased with the other
filters) there is also a red filter (very RED red) same construction
but has it's own case - what's this for?

Focusing on the paper.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Old November 22nd 04, 01:34 AM
Claudio Bonavolta

"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message
. 166...
On 21 Nov 2004 in rec.photo.darkroom, Jed Savage wrote:

I bought a used darkroom from a friend and it came with VC filters...
along with the filters (in the same box but not cased with the other
filters) there is also a red filter (very RED red) same construction
but has it's own case - what's this for?

Focusing on the paper.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

and positioning the paper when not using an easel.

--
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old November 22nd 04, 04:51 PM
Jim Phelps

"Jed Savage" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a used darkroom from a friend and it came with VC filters...
along with the filters (in the same box but not cased with the other
filters) there is also a red filter (very RED red) same construction
but has it's own case - what's this for?

Both the other answers are correct, - sort of. Don't try to focus with the
filter in place as the image will be to dark and your eyes are not suited to
focusing with a red image. The purpose was to allow you to project the
image on the easel with your B&W paper in place and finalize the composition
on the paper and then flip it out to begin your exposure, and then back in
(or turn the lamp off) to end the exposure. In over 27 years of darkroom
experience, I think I've used it twice, and that was when I was working
difficult negatives and I flipped it in and out to make sure I was
positioning my mask properly. However, just like a safelight, you should
test it (if you're going to use it) with the paper of your choice to assure
it won't cause fogging.

Jim

Old November 22nd 04, 08:47 PM
Jed Savage

I thought B&W VC paper was sensitive to red light - and that's why
there are the amber filters for safe lights. Must be just a certain
spectrum of red?

Old November 22nd 04, 08:47 PM
Jed Savage

Old November 22nd 04, 08:52 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

"Jed Savage" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought B&W VC paper was sensitive to red light - and that's why
there are the amber filters for safe lights. Must be just a certain
spectrum of red?

It can look red but still emit in the sensitive part of the spectrum for your paper.
Like presumed inactinic lights, it's a good habit to check it from time to time.

--
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch