How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

Old October 31st 12, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default How do I delete photographs from an iPad?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What do I do?

No idea, but I'm glad I didn't buy Apple devices. At least with Android,
once you connect it via USB, it becomes a mass storage device, allowing
you to do whatever you want efficiently.

as i said before, if you plug the ipad into a computer, it shows up as
a standard digital camera and then you can copy and delete photos as
you would with any other device, using whatever software you prefer.

I've already considered that. I was concerned that, first, the mapping
of the images in the PC does not appear to match the albums in the
iPad.

sort them on the computer.

unless you shot all keepers and in exact order you want, you'll want to
sort and group them and decide which ones to use.

Second, I didn't know what if anything I could do the iPad's
file system by just reaching in from the outside and deleting folders.

you can't access the file system.

Are you saying that it is safe to do this?

are you really asking that? seriously?

has windows corrupted you into thinking everything is fragile?

there's nothing you can do in normal use to brick or even cause minor
problems with an idevice.

why is everyone making this far more complex than it needs to be?

Trying to fill in a gap left by Apple.

funny how google has similar gaps and nobody is complaining.

the only gap is user inflicted.
Old October 31st 12, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

It is always a case of the right tool fro the right job, and the iPad
or iPhone is not a particularly good choice for an "in the field"
backup device. Both will serve in a pinch, but there are better ways to
go.
As good as both devices are it is tough to make them serve as a total
solution for all things. The iPad, as much as some would want it to be,
is not a true laptop replacement.

Why wouldn't it be a good viewing device that also is used as a second
source of the files in case the SD card is lost?

because the maximum size of the ipad is 64 gig. once you subtract the
space for apps, music, videos and whatever else you might have on it,
there isn't much left for photos. it's the wrong product for the job.

a portable storage device can have a terabyte drive, and it fits in a
pants pocket too.

That assumes that the person who owns an iPad wants to store gigs and
gigs of music and video. I can't imagine that being true of all iPad
owners.

that assumes that the person who owns an ipad wants to store gigs and
gigs of photos. i can't imagine that being true of all ipad owners
either.

the ipad is a nice device but surprising as it may seem, it doesn't do
everything. pick the right tool for the job.

Some may not store any videos and very little music and
prefer to use it as a viewer and for image storage. Apple's design
shorts the buyer of the device in their ability to use the device as
the owner would like to use it.

nonsense.

If Eric would not choose to store video and music on his device, he's
still unable to utilize the functions as he chooses to.

yes he can. he just doesn't want to.

The "job" for any device should be what the buyer of the device wants
it to be.

i want my laptop to be a popcorn popper. it gives off heat, why can't
it pop popcorn?

He should not have to spend additional money in buying
another device after buying an expensive device that does function as
a viewer and storage device.

not only is there no need to spend money (where did that come from) but
there's no need for any additional software either.

what i suggested was to buy a device *specifically* designed for the
task he wants to do. crazy as it may seem, using a product designed to
do a given task is going to work a whole lot better than trying to make
a general purpose device do that same task.

i can shred paper with scissors. i can also buy a paper shredder which
is designed to shred paper and it works a whole lot better, a whole lot
faster, shreds the paper whole lot more securely, and can even shred
other things such as credit cards and cd/dvds.

It seems that Apple simply ****ed up and omitted including a simple
function that could have easily been included.

you don't know how easy certain features could have been included, but
regardless, ipads are selling like crazy so obviously it's not a
feature that very many people care about.

however, since you have all the answers, why don't you call tim cook
and tell him what to do. he fired two execs yesterday, so maybe you can
sign on as a consultant to help, while he searches for replacements.
tell him just how simple it is to add. maybe it will even be in the
next release.

Why try to make out
that this is Eric's fault?

maybe because i already explained how several times and he refuses to
follow it.
Old October 31st 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:42:03 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

...and here is the iOS 6 iPad User Guide.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iphone_user_guide.pdf

This is the iPhone guide and is of no help as far as I can see.

I know if I go to the local Apple store the young geek behind the
counter will try to find the answer on Google.

chances are he knows the answer without googling (which is why he's
working there and not you), and he may not be that young either. the
last time i went to an apple store, the genius who helped me was old
enough to be the father of some of the other employees.

I spoke from experience

I can probably do that
as well as he can,

probably not, since 1) you haven't done it yet and 2) the answer has
already been provided, without you needing to google anything.

I think you thought you provided the answer and I have asked for
further information.

but had hoped that someone here would already know.

someone does.

Do tell.

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 12, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

On 2012-10-30 03:00:16 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

This is a problem which touches on digital photograpy and I'm raising
it in the hope that one of the more knowledgeable people here knows
the answer.

Just over two months ago I bought an iPad for the joint use of me and
my wife. I had about two weeks of battle with setting up email
accounts (the damned thing kept changing settings on me) before my
wife set off with it for six weeks overseas. The only thing I managed
to do with photographs was synchronise the iPad with one of the image
directories in my computer.

My wife returned with a swag of photographs copied into the iPad which
she had taken with her camera. The originals remain in her camera. She
had also copied several smaller swags into the iPad which she had
copied from other peoples' cameras. To make matters more complicated
she had edited a considerable number of images in the iPad and wanted
to access the final result for printing

I've now found out how to copy the photographs out of the iPad by
backing up to my computer. What I haven't yet found is an easy way to
delete +1800 images from the "All Imports" folder of the iPad. There
doesn't even seem to be an easy way to select a large number of images
at a time.

Google tells me I'm not the first person to strike this problem and
there are a number of recommended methods on the Internet. A problem
which has emerged is that while my wife was away she accepted the
invitation to upgrade to iOS6 which appears to be slightly different
in it's user interface from the previous versions. Tricks which are
claimed in various forums to make things easier don't seem to exist in
my version of the iPad.

Its not that I'm particularly worried by having to delete +1800 images
one at a time. Its what will happen next that worries me. What happens
when another 5000 images are added? ... then another 3000. Is it
really Apple's intention that the machine fills up until it bursts?

What do I do?

From memory- I'm not sure precisely the steps- when you sync your iPad
to iTunes, you have the option on the computer iTunes under the photo
tab to turn off the sync options, and when you do so it will prompt you
regarding keeping or losing all the photos. Tell it to lose them. Then
on your resync you can choose new pictures to add. I cannot verify that
this will work if you are adding photos by some other method. I have a
first generation iPad and all the photos are added via iTunes sync.
--
Michael

Old October 31st 12, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 13:55:35 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.

It's still more complicated than it need be even when you have a
computer. Having folder names in hexadecimal is not friendly!

copy the lot and sort it out in lightroom.

So you have to own Light Room or similar to work around the problems
Apple left in the iPad?

the names of the photos or the folders are irrelevant. what matters is
the tags within the photos, namely the exif data.

As far as I can tell there is no way to access the Exif data of an
image in an iPad although you can buy apps to help fill this void.

The fact of the matter is that the iPad lacks a function which many
people would expect it to have, and saying that someone doesn't need
that function or that they could do it if they have a computer is just
making excuses for this omission.

i said it would be nice to have a select all, but the lack of it is not
as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

Big or little, it's a deal.

if you are going to be saving photos in the field, get a device
designed for that purpose. the ipad isn't that device.

My wife and her gang thought they could use an iPad to view photos in
the field. Isn't the iPad suitable for that? What other device would
you recommend buying for the purpose?

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:30:17 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

It is always a case of the right tool fro the right job, and the iPad
or iPhone is not a particularly good choice for an "in the field"
backup device. Both will serve in a pinch, but there are better ways to
go.
As good as both devices are it is tough to make them serve as a total
solution for all things. The iPad, as much as some would want it to be,
is not a true laptop replacement.

Why wouldn't it be a good viewing device that also is used as a second
source of the files in case the SD card is lost?

because the maximum size of the ipad is 64 gig. once you subtract the
space for apps, music, videos and whatever else you might have on it,
there isn't much left for photos. it's the wrong product for the job.

Are you really saying that with its Retina display and portability
it's still not suited to being used as a viewing device?

a portable storage device can have a terabyte drive, and it fits in a
pants pocket too.

But it doesn't have a retina display.

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:42:13 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

[...]

I am genuinely surprised that its got the ability to store and display
a large number of photographs but lacks the ability to easily manage
them with out the assistance of an external device or software.

Some may not store any videos and very little music and
prefer to use it as a viewer and for image storage. Apple's design
shorts the buyer of the device in their ability to use the device as
the owner would like to use it.

nonsense.

I don't think its nonsense.

If Eric would not choose to store video and music on his device, he's
still unable to utilize the functions as he chooses to.

yes he can. he just doesn't want to.

Not so. It's becoming increasingly obvious that I can't.

The "job" for any device should be what the buyer of the device wants
it to be.

i want my laptop to be a popcorn popper. it gives off heat, why can't
it pop popcorn?

He should not have to spend additional money in buying
another device after buying an expensive device that does function as
a viewer and storage device.

not only is there no need to spend money (where did that come from) but
there's no need for any additional software either.

what i suggested was to buy a device *specifically* designed for the
task he wants to do. crazy as it may seem, using a product designed to
do a given task is going to work a whole lot better than trying to make
a general purpose device do that same task.

I thought the device I purchased was specifically designed to do what
I want to do.

i can shred paper with scissors. i can also buy a paper shredder which
is designed to shred paper and it works a whole lot better, a whole lot
faster, shreds the paper whole lot more securely, and can even shred
other things such as credit cards and cd/dvds.

It seems that Apple simply ****ed up and omitted including a simple
function that could have easily been included.

you don't know how easy certain features could have been included, but
regardless, ipads are selling like crazy so obviously it's not a
feature that very many people care about.

I would certainly have cared about it if I had known that this problem
existed. It's the kind of problem which would have turned me away from
the product had I known.

It's rather like being offered a beautifully designed car with no fuel
filler on the tank. To the ordinary person the presence of a fuel
filler is something you would take for granted.

however, since you have all the answers, why don't you call tim cook
and tell him what to do. he fired two execs yesterday, so maybe you can
sign on as a consultant to help, while he searches for replacements.
tell him just how simple it is to add. maybe it will even be in the
next release.

Why try to make out
that this is Eric's fault?

maybe because i already explained how several times and he refuses to
follow it.

At this stage I am still cautious and I've explained why.

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 12, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:30:22 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

The fact of the matter is that the iPad lacks a function which many
people would expect it to have, and saying that someone doesn't need
that function or that they could do it if they have a computer is just
making excuses for this omission.

i said it would be nice to have a select all, but the lack of it is not
as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

That must be part of the Applefanatics credo: If you can't do it on
an Apple product, it's no big deal regardless of what the user thinks.

never said that.

if you are going to be saving photos in the field, get a device
designed for that purpose. the ipad isn't that device.

Part II of the Applefanatics credo: Apple products do everything you
want them to do except what you need to buy something else to do.

part of the apple-haters playbook is to focus on one particular thing
that doesn't work the way they might want it to work and bash away,
even though they don't own the product and have no intention of ever
owning it and ignoring that it's no different than other similar
products. in other words, it doesn't affect them at *all*.

None of that applies to me. Its not that the thing I'm focussing on
doesn't work. To my amazement, it's not there at all. I do own the
product. I don't yet know whether it is different from another
product.

no product is suitable for all situations. for portable storage, the
ipad is very limited. its capacity is not much bigger than a typical
memory card, making it a very poor choice for storage. it's not what it
was designed to do. but of course, an apple hater ignores that and will
insist the ipad has to do absolutely everything perfectly, and when it
doesn't, it's bad, ignoring that the very same issues affect other
similar devices.

meanwhile, deleting all on an ipad is very easy to do for those without
an axe to grind and needs nothing more than a usb cable.

.... and a computer.

here are what android users are saying about 'select all' for other
android devices. it looks like you have to tap the photos one by one.
chapter two of the playbook explains that it's perfectly ok when
someone other than apple does the same thing.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-s/185612-how-delete-multiple-photos-selecting-thumbnails.html
I'm at a complete loss on how to select multiple photos to delete.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Go to Gallery---All photos (or particular folder)---Delete---then
check off the photos you want to Delete---then hit the Delete (#) at
the bottom. That should do it...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-g...leting-multipl
e-photos.html
I know how to delete individuals photos from the S-3, one at a time.
But is there a way to select multiple photos and delete them all at
once?

Press and hold on one picture until it is highlighted. Then begin to
tap each additional picture icon you wish to highlight. The highlight
should stick to each icon and finally, when done selecting them,
press the trash icon on the upper right.

It seems none of them are very bright, doesn't it?

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 12, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:30:24 -0700, nospam

Savageduck wrote:

i said it would be nice to have a select all, but the lack of it is not
as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

if you are going to be saving photos in the field, get a device
designed for that purpose. the ipad isn't that device.

Damn! you have to stop getting me to agree with you. ;-)

no kidding! i have a reputation of being argumentative to live up to!

The iPad makes a terrible in the field backup device. You would be
better off using an iPhone as a WiFi hotspot and transferring files to
one of the cloud services such as DB or PogoPlug.

that also works, assuming you have connectivity. that doesn't always
happen.

For in the field backup you cannot do much better than a Colorspace
UDMA. It handles CF, SDHC, MS etc. It does full and incremental backups
from the cards and connects to laptop/desktop via USB.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm

those are nice. i have one from a different company.

It's good to see you guys discussing the solution to the problem of
backing up in the field. Unfortunately its not the problem I was
concerned with. But please keep up the amicable discussion. :-)

Eric Stevens
Old October 31st 12, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:42:08 -0700, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

after you copy the photos and with the ipad still connected, select all
and delete. in fact, some software can be configured to delete the
photos automatically when you copy photos, so there's nothing
additional to do.

I didn't take a second computer with me - hand luggage only, so the iPad
was /all/ I had. It is functionally lacking you have to admit, when it
needs a thousand taps to delete a week's photos.

delete them when you get home. since they're your backup, why would you
want to delete them in the field?

sure it would be nice to have a select all, but it's also a piece of
cake to delete them from a computer. in fact, it's even easier to
delete them on a windows pc than on a mac.

Please explain how you go about this.

i did already but here it is once again:
plug the ipad into the computer with the provided usb cable and it
shows up like an ordinary digital camera. use whatever software you
normally use, including explorer which you've said you like to use,
select whatever photos you want, then copy and/or delete them as you
would if it was any other digital camera.

Aah - but I don't do that with a digital camera. I've encountered too
many stories about memory cards being stuffed up by this kind of
activity until they are reformatted by the camera. I certainly don't
want this kind of problem with an iPad.

Eric Stevens