Why do Nikon bother producing 'non-printable' manuals??

Old August 16th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Maurice Blanchard

Default Why do Nikon bother producing 'non-printable' manuals??

Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

rec.photo.equipment.digital
rec.photo.equipment.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.equipment.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr-system

nope.

Are you a cop ?

Old August 17th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 8/16/2008 3:13 PM Maurice Blanchard spake thus:

Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

rec.photo.equipment.digital
rec.photo.equipment.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.equipment.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr-system

nope.

Why not? It's a total no-brainer.

Are you a cop ?

Nope.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Old August 17th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/16/2008 3:13 PM Maurice Blanchard spake thus:

Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

rec.photo.equipment.digital
rec.photo.equipment.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.equipment.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr-system

nope.

Why not? It's a total no-brainer.

Are you a cop ?

Nope.

Stop x-posting, fascist pig!

--
lsmft
Old August 17th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:54:50 +0100, Dave wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

It's more likely to be because Nikon USA discourages the purchase of
"gray market" Nikons that don't come with manuals or don't come with
manuals in English.

A far more effective way to stop these 'gray imports' would be to sell
the products for the same price in each country.

I don't see how either Nikon or Nikon USA can control the retail
pricing of their products.

Pricing is different by country. An online friend happens to also be a
Nikon distributor in South Africa showed me a price list from his
supplier, his wholesale prices were a lot more than US retail.

In the US, sales are through distributors
(camera stores, retail outlets, etc). "Gray market" Nikons are also
available through distributors - and sometimes the same distributors
that sell the Nikon USA products - but don't have the same warranty
features.
The only reason I did not get my D3 from outside the UK was that is was
more money than I was willing to risk. But for a £500-£1000 lens I would
not think twice about it if the savings were sufficiently large.

I don't know how the market works in the UK, but I have noticed that
many UK residents say they pay more for the same basic model than do
the US buyers. I would think, though, that this is the retail
structure and not the Nikon pricing structure. I don't know for sure,
though.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old August 17th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

In message , tony cooper
writes
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:23:15 +0100, Chris H
wrote:

Does the US have a problem with gray imports?

Depends on what you call "a problem". One of the major camera stores
in the US (B&H Camera) sells Nikons imported through Nikon USA and
gray market cameras that bypass Nikon USA.

I can see why Nikon US would get upset about that.

The store is very up-front
about it and tells you if the Nikon item you are ordering is gray
market or through Nikon USA. The pricing is better on the gray market
Nikon items.
Nikon USA will not service or perform warranty work on the gray market
cameras. B&H, though, offers a limited in-store warranty. See:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/GreyMarketStatic.jsp

That sounds reasonable. I can see what the problem is.

Where it becomes a problem is with less honest sellers who offer gray
market items without informing the customer. The customer isn't aware
that they purchased a gray market item until they need service. These
sellers don't provide service.

And of course the customers will then go to Nikon US...

It's like most other things: an informed buyer may decide that the
savings offset the risk. It's not informing the buyer that's the
problem.

I agree.

What happens if I move to the USA. I have several Nikon Cameras, bought
in the UK though Official Nikon UK channels and registered with Nikon.
Can I get Nikon US to service/support them?

Would it work the other way... if you moved to the UK with your Nikons
purchased though official Nikon US channels?

Old August 17th 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dave[_27_]

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/16/2008 3:13 PM Maurice Blanchard spake thus:

Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

rec.photo.equipment.digital
rec.photo.equipment.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.equipment.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr
rec.photo.equipment.digital.slr-system

nope.

Why not? It's a total no-brainer.

Are you a cop ?

Nope.

Do you feel your constant postings about newsgroups is achieving
anything *useful*? If you do, your perception is very different to mine.

You can't even be bothered to read the post and suggest what you think
is the most appropriate group(s) - mentioning
rec.photo.equipment.digital.point+shoot with questions about a D3 is
rather silly.

Despite the fact my original post concerned *current Nikon equipment*,
and I quoted from Nikon:

"To protect against Copyright Infringement, Nikon offers two versions of
our current product manuals..."

By "current product manuals", I take that to mean products currently
sold by Nikon, which would include lenses for 35 mm film cameras, the F6
which is a 35 mm film camera and any similar bits Nikon sells. Yet, you
still prattle on about this newsgroup thing.

You might not like it outside when it is a very warm day and the sun is
shining brightly, but shouting at the sun and telling it to set is not
going to achieve much. Hence it a waste of ones time to do so.

Don't you have the sense to realise you are not achieving much on this
issue?
Old August 17th 08, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dave[_27_]

Chris H wrote:

What happens if I move to the USA. I have several Nikon Cameras, bought
in the UK though Official Nikon UK channels and registered with Nikon.
Can I get Nikon US to service/support them?

Would it work the other way... if you moved to the UK with your Nikons
purchased though official Nikon US channels?

It would be good if Nikon USA just billed Nikon UK for work Nikon USA
did on cameras which were sold via Nikon USA. (And the reverse of
course, which would mean much of it would cancel out anyway)

Or, if that is not to their liking, agree to reimburse customers for
products which they paid to have fixed in another country.

If I buy a camera in the UK, go to China to cover the Olympics, it goes
wrong and I pay to have it fixed in China, it would not seem
unreasonable for Nikon UK to reimburse me.

Thinking about it, in the UK, I suspect a court might well force Nikon
to pay up for repairs which needed to be performed in another country -
especially in the case of a pro, who earned his/her living from this. I
don't know if it has ever been challenged in a court. Or perhaps Nikon
would not argue in a genuine case anyway.

I doubt a court in the UK would do this in the case of someone who
bought a camera from another country to save money, but someone who
needed to have their camera repaired in another country, I suspect they
might.
Old August 17th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michael adams[_3_]

"Dave" wrote in message ...

Don't you have the sense to realise you are not achieving much on this
issue?

Without wishing to appear unduly cynical, I think you'll find
the same applies to around 90%* of the material posted on UseNet.
However laudable may have been the intentions of the poster.

michael adams

* That was a figure arrived at as a result of my last 2yr Research
Project on this particular topic. You can trust me on this one.

Old August 17th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Chris H wrote:

What happens if I move to the USA. I have several Nikon Cameras, bought
in the UK though Official Nikon UK channels and registered with Nikon.
Can I get Nikon US to service/support them?

UK Nikon and US Nikon are separate companies. US Nikon would not assume
the liabilities of UK Nikon. (They might as good will)

w..

Old August 17th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michael adams[_3_]

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Chris H wrote:

What happens if I move to the USA. I have several Nikon Cameras, bought
in the UK though Official Nikon UK channels and registered with Nikon.
Can I get Nikon US to service/support them?

Would it work the other way... if you moved to the UK with your Nikons
purchased though official Nikon US channels?

It would be good if Nikon USA just billed Nikon UK for work Nikon USA
did on cameras which were sold via Nikon USA. (And the reverse of
course, which would mean much of it would cancel out anyway)

Or, if that is not to their liking, agree to reimburse customers for
products which they paid to have fixed in another country.

If I buy a camera in the UK, go to China to cover the Olympics, it goes
wrong and I pay to have it fixed in China, it would not seem
unreasonable for Nikon UK to reimburse me.

This will be covered in the small print in one of the many pieces
of paper that came with the camera. The Conditions of Sale or whatever.
And it will be assumed that you've actually read it.

Thinking about it, in the UK, I suspect a court might well force Nikon
to pay up for repairs which needed to be performed in another country -
especially in the case of a pro, who earned his/her living from this. I
don't know if it has ever been challenged in a court. Or perhaps Nikon
would not argue in a genuine case anyway.

Nikon couldn't possibly indemnify themselves by way of insurance cover against
the possible cost of repairs in each and every out of the way backwater in the
World. So that rather than conmmit themselves to using any discretion by way
of researching local repair costs and adjudicating on circumstances - a process
possibly involving costly appeals procedures as well, they will have already
covered all this in their original conditions of sale, or whatever. None of which
could be shown to be unreasonable in any Court of Law for that very reason

A pro with any sense, same as an ordinary tourist, would never travel anywhere
without obtaining all the necessary insurance cover, for everything. All of which
would be tax deductible and part of the fee in any case. Which again in the case
of a pro might well include the cost of any on-the-spot replacement where necessary.
And the premium will reflect this. And Nikon know this as well as anyone

michael adams