Municipal Water versus Well Water.

Old November 25th 04, 02:14 AM
Gregory W Blank

Default Municipal Water versus Well Water.

For many years I have been using well water for my photographic processing.
Since I will be moving from my current location, to a home with Chlorinated
municipal supply I am wondering about whether filtering the chlorine out
is an advised practice, & (Is there an easy way to do so)?

I mainly do B&W but will also do some E6 and potentially some C41.

TIA.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old November 25th 04, 02:23 AM
Jean-David Beyer

Gregory W Blank wrote:
For many years I have been using well water for my photographic processing.
Since I will be moving from my current location, to a home with Chlorinated
municipal supply I am wondering about whether filtering the chlorine out
is an advised practice, & (Is there an easy way to do so)?

I mainly do B&W but will also do some E6 and potentially some C41.

TIA.

Filters primarily remove solid particles, and dissolved material, be it
minerals (e.g., calcium ions) or gasses (chloride ions) are not solids.

Those filters containing sufficient activated charcoal can remove some
dissolved gasses, such as chlorine.

Since most photographic solutions are buffered, it is unlikely that
something like chlorine will be dissolved in the water in sufficient
quantity to affect the pH very much. Some people have trouble with
changing from one water to another, though I never noticed it, even when
the taste of the water was extremely different from one place to another.
I assume (without knowledge) that their problems are perhaps due to
different ions in the water, and not chlorine or its pH. But since it
never bothered me to use municipal water, I never investigated it much.

Solid particals make a mess of negatives, especially small ones such as
24x32 mm ones on 35 mm film. Hence I use a 5 micron filter on my tempered
water. I mix my PhotoFlow with dehumidifier condensate that I filter
through a cotton ball (used one shot). But everything else I use just
plain municipal water.

Were I to use solutions containing precious metals (e.g., platinum, gold)
I would use distilled water for them. When I was doing Cibachrome (now
known as Ilfochrome), I was advised by Ilford to not use distilled water
as it was too soft and the wet emulsion was too soft. They recommended tap
water, which is usually harder, as the most practical for processing their
stuff.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 21:15:00 up 33 days, 10 min, 3 users, load average: 4.21, 4.16, 4.17

Old November 25th 04, 02:38 AM
Tom Phillips

Gregory W Blank wrote:

For many years I have been using well water for my photographic processing.
Since I will be moving from my current location, to a home with Chlorinated
municipal supply I am wondering about whether filtering the chlorine out
is an advised practice, & (Is there an easy way to do so)?

I mainly do B&W but will also do some E6 and potentially some C41.

I never have and have no noticable issues.

Course I'm somewhat nearsighted

But in my part of the country the water is also very
pure (no pollutants or finer particles/sediment to
filter out, but is chlorinated and fluoridated.) I
would probably worry about filtering water that isn't
so pure.

TIA.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old November 25th 04, 02:49 AM
Nick Zentena

Gregory W Blank wrote:
For many years I have been using well water for my photographic processing.
Since I will be moving from my current location, to a home with Chlorinated
municipal supply I am wondering about whether filtering the chlorine out
is an advised practice, & (Is there an easy way to do so)?

Go to the local big box hardware and look over the various filters. It's
pretty easy to find one that'll handle chlorine. Can't hurt to get rid of
it. If you aren't in a hurry other methods then filtering will get rid of it
to but filtering is relatively cheap and painless. If you're setting up a
new darkroom then consider just putting the filters into the water supply.

Nick

Old November 25th 04, 06:35 AM
Some Dude

I was using well water and I used a Brita (or pur, same thing) which
cost me $30 for the kit that comes with a filter that screws onto the
faucet and I replace the filter once every two months. The water
output is low when its running so unless you have massive water needs
(and need them quickly) this may be a good choice.

Another thing i've done is used an aquarium charcoal filter you can
get at Petco/Petsmart/Pet-whatever. They are moderately tall, narrow
tube-like things with a faucet end and a tube end. This is relatively
low water output (and somewhat hard to control the temperature as the
water has to filter through about an 18-20" tube first, but I got used
to it and it worked fine for me... Its basically a tube packed full of
charcoal.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:14:52 GMT, Gregory W Blank
wrote:

For many years I have been using well water for my photographic processing.
Since I will be moving from my current location, to a home with Chlorinated
municipal supply I am wondering about whether filtering the chlorine out
is an advised practice, & (Is there an easy way to do so)?

I mainly do B&W but will also do some E6 and potentially some C41.

TIA.

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh
Old November 25th 04, 01:51 PM
Robert Vervoordt

I vote with JD here. Never had a problem with anymunicipal water
supply for processing, except when a water main broke and my tap water
went Brown.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:23:34 -0500, Jean-David Beyer
wrote:

Gregory W Blank wrote:
[...]

Robert Vervoordt, MFA

Old November 25th 04, 01:56 PM
Robert Vervoordt

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 01:35:44 -0500, Some Dude wrote:

I was using well water and I used a Brita (or pur, same thing) which
cost me $30 for the kit that comes with a filter that screws onto the
faucet and I replace the filter once every two months. The water
output is low when its running so unless you have massive water needs
(and need them quickly) this may be a good choice.

Another thing i've done is used an aquarium charcoal filter you can
get at Petco/Petsmart/Pet-whatever. They are moderately tall, narrow
tube-like things with a faucet end and a tube end. This is relatively
low water output (and somewhat hard to control the temperature as the
water has to filter through about an 18-20" tube first, but I got used
to it and it worked fine for me... Its basically a tube packed full of
charcoal.

My only problem with one of these, aside from the agony of the slow
output, was when I first installed it, I had to filter out fine
Charcoal dust from the final product. Eventually I just went with the
unfiltered water supplies in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and
California. No differences in any results over many decades.

wrote:

For many years I have been using well water for my photographic processing.
Since I will be moving from my current location, to a home with Chlorinated
municipal supply I am wondering about whether filtering the chlorine out
is an advised practice, & (Is there an easy way to do so)?

I mainly do B&W but will also do some E6 and potentially some C41.

TIA.

Cheers,
-sd
http://www.zoom.sh

Robert Vervoordt, MFA

id11/d76 today alternative: Hc110 or Xtol? Or both? stefano bramato In The Darkroom 27 November 2nd 04 07:01 PM
Spots! Chris Loffredo In The Darkroom 10 June 13th 04 06:08 AM
Point-of-use hot water heater ? winddancing In The Darkroom 11 February 10th 04 12:11 AM
White spots on negs Mark Liddell In The Darkroom 3 February 7th 04 08:42 PM
Photoceramic processess Biesior In The Darkroom 8 February 3rd 04 12:55 PM