Photoshop CS vs. Canon File Viewer Util

Old September 27th 04, 01:01 AM
andre

Default Photoshop CS vs. Canon File Viewer Util

I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends computer.
I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
much better.
I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
results?

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com
Old September 27th 04, 02:05 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , andre
wrote:

I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends computer.
I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very saturated,
while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich and generally
much better.
I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
results?

You'll probably have to mess with the Shadow level and maybe exposure.
What you're seeing is the electronic negative. The Canon software is
crap.

Old September 27th 04, 05:41 AM
andre

Jer wrote:
Hunt wrote:

In article , andre.
says...

I recently got a chance to check out Photoshop CS on a friends
computer. I opened a canon RAW (CRW) file for processing.
For some reason the raw file looks totally different when opened with
the Canon File Viewer Util that came with my digital rebel.
The Photoshop version looks dull and the colors are not very
saturated, while the Canon File Viewer Util version looks very rich
and generally much better.
I was wondering if there is a way to tune Photoshop to show the same
results?

Andre

Andre,

The best A/B test that you could run, would be to open the same image,
and match the processing done by the two programs. Check out the
defaults of each, then match their settings, before you review the
images. I don't know the Canon CRW program, but suspect that by
default there is different processing. Then, you can make a direct
comparison.

Hunt

Since each program he's using is installed on two different computers,
wouldn't each program be using two different screens? maybe only one of
the screens is even close to true? If so, I'd think a proper A/B test
would have to include being run on the same computer and screen.

just a thought

Thanks for the advice. I have installed the canon software on my friends
computer as well. The canon software is much closer to the embedded jpeg
though, so I wouldn't dismiss it as being crap as someone posted
earlier. I would much rather see photoshop produce similar results.
Anways, thanks for all your answers.

Andre

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com
Old September 27th 04, 05:41 AM
andre

Jer wrote:
Hunt wrote:

In article , andre.
says...

Old September 27th 04, 08:48 AM
sid derra

"andre" wrote in message
Jer wrote:
Hunt wrote:

In article , andre.
says...

[...]

i think the "crap" remark was because of the suspicion that the canon softwa
re doesn;t show you the TRUE unprocessed file. i dont know IF that is true,
but i think thats what he meant. could it be that some weird color profile
is set on your friends PS CS?

rock on. sid

Old September 27th 04, 08:48 AM
sid derra