Rebel Flash / Lighting Issue -- My latest test -- sorry about the confusion...

Old July 16th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jamie Dolan

Default Rebel Flash / Lighting Issue -- My latest test -- sorry about the confusion...

HI,

I am really sorry, something is messed up with outlook on my computer or
something, it seems to have posted my last message completely out of order
in the thread. So I just though I would edit it and report it so that it
can actually be found. I am sorry again for the repost and that my original
was posted out of order.
This last message I posted was a test of flash photos with the suggestions
that were made to be by others here in the group. Below is the info on the
last test shoot I did. My next step is going to be to do more tests at the
camera shop where I can use other equipment. I am happy to do other test
shots if anyone has any more things they would like me to try.

""Here are a couple photos that I shot last night, with FEC +2, and I think
that they looks like they are exposed pretty well.

http://www.dolanhosting.net/jamiedol...w/IMG_9249.CR2
http://www.dolanhosting.net/jamiedol...g/IMG_9249.JPG

http://www.dolanhosting.net/jamiedol...w/IMG_9252.CR2
http://www.dolanhosting.net/jamiedol...g/IMG_9252.JPG

The entire shoot, I used FEC +2, and there exposures vary,a fair amount.

I did upload the entire shoot, but it is large. If you have a very high
speed connection and you want to see what happened across a shoot of about
50 photos with FEC +2, you can download the shoot he
http://www.dolanhosting.net/jamiedol...eg_and_raw.zip

I can go to my local camera store this week and try a 580ex, which they
probably have in stock, and I can see what happens, I could also try a
different rebel xt...

I can take a couple memory cards and shoot a series of photos with there
camera and flash and with my camera and flash and see if there is any
noticeable difference.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Old July 16th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

Jamie Dolan wrote:
[...]

I've been traveling a bit for the last few days, but if I remember you
post correctly, it was that your camera/flash was consistantly
underexposing, lots that lots of people agree that its a design issue
with Canon, that when you crank your flash up it doesn't help too much
(or at least as much as you would expect), and that your dog has
freakish eyes.. Also, black ceilings and other things like that have
been ruled out.

..Okay, try this just to please me. Set your flash to "normal". Look
at the back of your CAMERA. Somewhere near the top of the back, maybe
a half-inch from your viewfinder in the 3:30 position, there's a button
labeled "Av +/-" with the + and - inside a box. First, put the camera
in TV mode (so the impact will be the most noticable) and set the
shutter to anything you want, say 1/100th. Now, push the button I just
described and turn the wheel near your shutter so it registers. If you
look at the exposure meter just under the box that shows how many
images you have next, you will see the line move left or right. By
turning the wheel clockwise (when behind the camera), the line moves
right and increases your exposure. The meter looks like:

-2 . . 1 . . | . . 1 . . +2

With the lower line direct under the upper, center one.
Turn the wheel so it goes to:

-2 . . 1 . . | . . 1 . . +2

Set the wheel under the +1 and take an exposure. In fact, move it in
each increment until you find what's the best exposure.

One you figure it out, you'll just set that when shooting flash.
Remember to go back the center when you take off the flash.

Try playing around with this and I think you'll find something that
makes you happy.

Good luck.

Pat.

Old July 16th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve m...

I have a 300d and have always had problems with underexposed pictures. It's
just the norm. I knew that when I got the camera and I still know that it
does it today. But, I have a method to keep that at a minimum. You boost
the exposure compensation just like he mentioned below. I usually set mine
around + 1 or so. Then I have a FEC boost also around +1 usually as well.
I use the Super DG ST Sigma flash. It works great. If I'm looking for
more natural light pics I bounce the flash and set the ISO higher. If you
take a couple of test pictures that helps as well as you can set up the
compensation a little better for the light available. It works for me. I'm
happy with the pictures it still takes today. And with RAW it's best to be
a bit overexposed and adjust down in DPP than to try and go up (you get
noise in the pictures if you do). Try it you'll see how it works.

Steve
www.lhsc.net (some pics there by the Rebel others taken with a Gateway 4.0mp
cheapy cam)

"Pat" wrote in message