Agency using my photos?

Old April 15th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Agency using my photos?

My brother's wife disappeared over two years ago and her body was found four
months later! She had been brutally murdered! During the time of her
disappearance, a lot of MY photos were used in the search for her. This
week, her murderer was sentenced to life imprisonment and naturally enough,
the local press has been covering the trial and verdict. In the main
newspaper here in the north of Ireland, a photo was used this week, of
Attracta and her son. Under the photo was printed, photo.....Alan
Lewis/Photopress. This was my photo and I was furious that someone was
obviously making money out of it's use. The Daily Mirror/Sun/Star etc were
all using photos but I wasn't going to buy all of them to see if they too
had copies of my photos. I managed to track down this Alan Lewis and
initially I asked if he was the photographer who supplied photos to various
newspapers here. He simply and (I thought) arrogantly replied, "Yes". When I
mailed him again and demanded to know why he had claimed one of my photos as
HIS and asked how he had obtained this photo in the first place, he did not
reply. I have mailed him since and he still won't reply. Any suggestions on
what I should do about this. I had no intention of trying to make money out
of this horrendous family tragedy and it makes me feel sick that this guy is
doing so!

Eugene

By the way, I am a wedding photographer and this was why I had so many
photos, as I covered two of these family weddings.

Old April 15th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"eugene" writes:
I have mailed him since and he still won't reply. Any suggestions on
what I should do about this. I had no intention of trying to make money out
of this horrendous family tragedy and it makes me feel sick that this guy is
doing so!

Send a letter to the agency that he works through, explaining the
situation and including copies of the photos in question.
Old April 15th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In the US all I would need is the negative and a copy of the printed offence
to make my case!!! Unless he's contracted I'd go after the News Agency that
printed the photo - if you won the case then perhaps he'll lose his job!
You'll perhaps receive a large chunk of change - photographer in question
will never work as a News Photographer again - Here in the US he would be
blacklisted = ruined career!!!

Old April 15th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

eugene wrote:
[...]

I would start by telling the newspaper who used the photo he
supplied that he sold them your photo without permission.
I'm assuming that you have evidence that the photo is yours,
in case he makes a legal issue of your complaint.
Old April 15th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , eugene
wrote:

Any suggestions on what I should do about this. I had no intention of
trying to make money out of this horrendous family tragedy and it
makes me feel sick that this guy is doing so!

I'd get a lawyer. But that is me. It is not a matter of you making
money from the tragedy but the principle of this person abusing you.

--
Charles
Old April 15th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

eugene wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about the death.

I would suggest you have two actions you might take. You could contact
the agency or news outlet that used the photo and or you could contact a
local attorney.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit