Travel Camera

Old November 14th 14, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Trundle

Default Travel Camera

I'm travelling to Nepal next year to do some trekking and am looking to
whether I should upgrade my Panasonic Lumix TZ10? I would ideally want to
take my Canon EOS 70D but it is just too big and bulky, so am looking for a
camera which will best capture the landscapes/people/wildlife. A useful zoom
range would be good too!
TIA

Old November 14th 14, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-14 12:55:32 +0000, "Trundle" . said:

I'm travelling to Nepal next year to do some trekking and am looking to
whether I should upgrade my Panasonic Lumix TZ10? I would ideally want to
take my Canon EOS 70D but it is just too big and bulky, so am looking for a
camera which will best capture the landscapes/people/wildlife. A useful zoom
range would be good too!
TIA

There are going to be all sorts of opinions on this, so all I can do is
give you mine.
I have been looking at an affordable weight saving option for travel
for a while now, and I have been led to the Fujifilm X-E2. That
provides a good 16MP APS-C size sensor, a reasonable kit lens, and a
selection of good lenses to meet most travel shooting needs. One could
travel with an X-E2 and 2 or three lenses without coming close to the
weight and bulk penalty of a DSLR with one multi-purpose lens.

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/
http://fujifilm-x.com/xf-lens/en/about/roadmap/

B&H, and Amazon have some good deals on it, starting with a $1099 body
+ 18-55mm kit from B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008069-REG/fujifilm_16405018_x_e2_mirrorless_digital_camera.h tml
or
http://tinyurl.com/lcxwphh

Savageduck

Old November 14th 14, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Trundle

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't considered Fujifilm so will have a look at
some reviews.

Old November 14th 14, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-11-14 20:07:13 +0000, "Trundle" . said:

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't considered Fujifilm so will have a look at
some reviews.

Here are two to start with:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-e2/
http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/fujifilm-x-e2-digital-camera-review

Savageduck

Old November 15th 14, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Trundle wrote:
I'm travelling to Nepal next year to do some trekking and am looking to
whether I should upgrade my Panasonic Lumix TZ10? I would ideally want to
take my Canon EOS 70D but it is just too big and bulky, so am looking for a
camera which will best capture the landscapes/people/wildlife. A useful zoom
range would be good too!
TIA

For light weight travel and simplicity, I use a Canon PowerShot S-120 on
trips. It is really pocketable, has a 5:1 zoom range, is f:2 at the wide
angle end, and the sensor , albeit small but not tiny, gives me nice pix
up to 8x10". ISO settings up to 800 give reasonably sharp pix in
low-light situations. It is silent in its operation as well.It has a
small built-in flash, but for distant flash shots, a Metz HF-DC1 tiny
external flash with slave properties can be very helpful. Remember to
bring extra camera batteries and chargers as well as power adapters for
overseas electrical outlets,and spare SD cards already formatted.

Have a nice trip,and good picture hunting.

Mort Linder

---

Old November 15th 14, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 14/11/2014 23:03, Mort wrote:
Trundle wrote:
[...]

I'm in a similar position to the OP. Problem with your otherwise
excellent suggestion for me at least is the lack of zoom reach - I use
the 12x a lot. In decent light it works very well indeed.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old November 15th 14, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paweł Daniluk

W dniu .11.2014 o 13:55 Trundle . pisze:

I'm travelling to Nepal next year to do some trekking and am looking to
whether I should upgrade my Panasonic Lumix TZ10? I would ideally want to
take my Canon EOS 70D but it is just too big and bulky, so am looking
for a
camera which will best capture the landscapes/people/wildlife. A useful
zoom
range would be good too!
TIA

Hello,

you may also consider Olympus/Panasonic micro 3/4 standard. I'm using
Olympus PEN EPL3, which is rather low-end but I'm satisfied with it,
especially when it's paired with 45 mm 1.8 lens which is great for
portraits. You might also consider OM-D series which have replaced DSLR in
Olympus product range, but they are priced accordingly.

Since it's mirroless, the body is compact and there is a selection of
lens. For starters you could exchange kit zoom with pancake 14‑42 mm
1:3.5‑5.6 EZ. For portraits I would recommend 45 mm 1.8 prime lens. For
landscapes there is a 12mm 2.0 wide-angle prime lens, but I don't have it.
It's rather pricey, but there are some positive reviews though.

Additionally, you can also attach older 3/4 lens via adapter. They are
usually cheaper and there is a bigger second hand market for them than for
m3/4 mount.

Regards

Old November 15th 14, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug McDonald[_8_]

On 11/14/2014 6:55 AM, Trundle wrote:
I'm travelling to Nepal next year to do some trekking and am looking to
whether I should upgrade my Panasonic Lumix TZ10? I would ideally want to
take my Canon EOS 70D but it is just too big and bulky, so am looking for a
camera which will best capture the landscapes/people/wildlife. A useful zoom
range would be good too!
TIA

Given the nature of the landscape, I suggest any good superzoom camera
will do. That's because the non-landscape is ordinary, and an ordinary
good camera will do great. The landscape is not ordinary, and is best
captured with any camera set for normal or mild telephoto zoom, plus
lots and lots of practice taking panoramas. You don't even need a tripod
(except, I might add, a large heavy one, carried in your hands,
is great for attacking rabid dogs, not a joke!) as Photoshop's panorama
creator software seems to do a great job of piecing together the
randomly cluttered foreground.

My main camera for my two trips there was a Crown Graphic 4x5.
Any superzoom and panorama software will make my images look like crap.

Doug McDonald

On 2014-11-14 12:55:32 +0000, "Trundle" . said:

[...]

I have an X-E1 with their own standard, wide, and tele zooms. They fit
nicely in a ThinkTank Retrospective 7 (with a little panasonic camcorder
if necessary), and don't weigh much. The macro focus distance isn't very
good, I also pack a x10 close-up lens.
Old November 18th 14, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , "Trundle" says...

I'm travelling to Nepal next year to do some trekking and am looking to
whether I should upgrade my Panasonic Lumix TZ10? I would ideally want to
take my Canon EOS 70D but it is just too big and bulky, so am looking for a
camera which will best capture the landscapes/people/wildlife. A useful zoom
range would be good too!

A micro 4/3 camera with a long zoom lens, for instance the M.Zuiko 14-
150 (290 grams) or a combination of two lenses, for instance M.Zuiko 12-
50 (211 grams) and the M.Zuiko 75-300 (430 grams) if you need more zoom
range. Lens multiplier is 2.
--
Alfred Molon