Which one to buy: Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro or Sigma EX 180mm F/3.5 DG Macro

Old February 20th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mulperi

Default Which one to buy: Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro or Sigma EX 180mm F/3.5 DG Macro

Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro
Sigma EX 180mm F/3.5 DG Macro

I have found those which are not so different in paper but what do you
think? Yes I know that the Tamron is cheaper.

--
Juha Heinonen
Seilimaki 17 B 8

Old February 20th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , Mulperi
wrote:

Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro
Sigma EX 180mm F/3.5 DG Macro

I have found those which are not so different in paper but what do you
think? Yes I know that the Tamron is cheaper.

They're both...uh...cheap.
Old February 21st 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Stavrakoglou

"Mulperi" wrote in message
Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro
Sigma EX 180mm F/3.5 DG Macro

I have found those which are not so different in paper but what do you
think? Yes I know that the Tamron is cheaper.

Here are some reviews:

Tamron
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...w--test-report

Sigma
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...report--review

Old February 21st 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Tuthill[_3_]

On 2008-02-20 09:45:01 -0700, "Mr. Strat" said:

In article , Mulperi
wrote:

Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro
Sigma EX 180mm F/3.5 DG Macro

I have found those which are not so different in paper but what do you
think? Yes I know that the Tamron is cheaper.

They're both...uh...cheap.

I would ignore Mr. Strat (who apparently is made out of money) and
check the lens database in pbase to compare output from these 2 lenses.
You can check out the Canon/Nikon/Oly etc. equivalents at the same
time to see if you want to spend hundreds more for them.

Good luck.

Old February 21st 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , Michael

On 2008-02-20 09:45:01 -0700, "Mr. Strat" said:

I would ignore Mr. Strat (who apparently is made out of money) and
check the lens database in pbase to compare output from these 2 lenses.
You can check out the Canon/Nikon/Oly etc. equivalents at the same
time to see if you want to spend hundreds more for them.

It's all made together to work together. Sigma's reputation for poor QC
is well known, and Tamron isn't much better.
Old February 21st 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Tuthill[_3_]

On 2008-02-20 18:43:48 -0700, "Mr. Strat" said:

In article , Michael

On 2008-02-20 09:45:01 -0700, "Mr. Strat" said:

I would ignore Mr. Strat (who apparently is made out of money) and
check the lens database in pbase to compare output from these 2 lenses.
You can check out the Canon/Nikon/Oly etc. equivalents at the same
time to see if you want to spend hundreds more for them.

It's all made together to work together. Sigma's reputation for poor QC
is well known, and Tamron isn't much better.

That's a pretty broad generalization. I have the Nikon version of the
Sigma 180 EX macro and mine performs very well and is very well built.
If someone happens to get a bad copy of a Sigma (or a Tamron or a Nikon
or a Canon et al) they simply exchange it for another. No manufacturer
is immune to QC problems.

Old February 21st 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Peter Stavrakoglou wrote:
"Mulperi" wrote in message
Tamron SP 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro
Sigma EX 180mm F/3.5 DG Macro

I have found those which are not so different in paper but what do you
think? Yes I know that the Tamron is cheaper.

Here are some reviews:

Tamron
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...w--test-report

Sigma
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano...report--review

They recommend the Tamron. With Sigma, their 150mm macro is better.
Chromatic aberrations are a bit of an issue with the Sigma 180.
Old February 21st 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , Michael
Tuthill wrote:

That's a pretty broad generalization. I have the Nikon version of the
Sigma 180 EX macro and mine performs very well and is very well built.
If someone happens to get a bad copy of a Sigma (or a Tamron or a Nikon
or a Canon et al) they simply exchange it for another. No manufacturer
is immune to QC problems.

You realize that the Sigma lens you so cherish may not work with your
next digital camera. That's because they're too cheap to pay the
licensing fees and reverse engineer the electronics.
Old February 21st 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Mr. Strat
wrote:

In article , Michael
Tuthill wrote:

That's a pretty broad generalization. I have the Nikon version of the
Sigma 180 EX macro and mine performs very well and is very well built.
If someone happens to get a bad copy of a Sigma (or a Tamron or a Nikon
or a Canon et al) they simply exchange it for another. No manufacturer
is immune to QC problems.

You realize that the Sigma lens you so cherish may not work with your
next digital camera. That's because they're too cheap to pay the
licensing fees and reverse engineer the electronics.

they also reuse rom chips, resulting in the exif indicating a different
lens than what was actually used. i know someone who was looking at
the new sigma zooms at pma a few weeks ago and took some sample photos
with the 150-500. the exif info reported it as the 18-200.

tamron macro lenses, however, are very good.
Old February 21st 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , nospam
wrote:

they also reuse rom chips, resulting in the exif indicating a different
lens than what was actually used. i know someone who was looking at
the new sigma zooms at pma a few weeks ago and took some sample photos
with the 150-500. the exif info reported it as the 18-200.

NO...they wouldn't do that. :-)