CLEANING: slides caught in flood

Old January 29th 05, 02:56 AM
Bill

Default CLEANING: slides caught in flood

I have about 50, 35mm slides that were caught in a flood a number of
years ago. They are covered with mud to one degree or another.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them?

I have some that I am not interested in recovering that I can practice
on.

Please reply to:

Thanks, Bill
Old January 29th 05, 04:51 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/28/2005 6:56 PM Bill spake thus:

I have about 50, 35mm slides that were caught in a flood a number of
years ago. They are covered with mud to one degree or another.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them?

I have some that I am not interested in recovering that I can practice
on.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert in this field, and don't have extensive experience.
Nonetheless, if it were me, I'd take one of those slides you don't really care
about anyway and try soaking it in plain water to start. The first thing is to
get what mud and crud you can off, ideally without scratching the film.

Soak the slide long enough to dissolve the crusted on crud. *Don't brush or
wipe anything off!!!* Try to gently agitate the slide and get the crud to come
off on its own.

After you get off the majority of the mud, you might be able to clean the film
with some type of film cleaner. However, this should only be done if there are
no dirt particles left on the surface to cause scratches. You might want to
take a close look at the slide surface with a loupe or other magnifier to see
if it's free of dirt and grit.

If the slides are in cardboard mounts, the soaking may soften them to the
point that you can just tear the mount off of the film (carefully!) and
discard it; you can remount the film later. If they're in plastic mounts, the
slide can be cleaned in the mount with no damage to it.

--
Today's bull**** job description:

• Collaborate to produce operational procedures for the systems management
of the production Information Technology infrastructure.

- from an actual job listing on Craigslist (http://www.craigslist.org)

Old January 29th 05, 07:12 AM
Tom Phillips

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/28/2005 6:56 PM Bill spake thus:

I have about 50, 35mm slides that were caught in a flood a number of
years ago. They are covered with mud to one degree or another.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them?

I have some that I am not interested in recovering that I can practice
on.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert in this field, and don't have extensive experience.
Nonetheless, if it were me, I'd take one of those slides you don't really care
about anyway and try soaking it in plain water to start. The first thing is to
get what mud and crud you can off, ideally without scratching the film.

I would agree soaking off the dirt/mud is the best
method. But I'd use Isopropyl Alcohol, which you
can mix with water. Use a large tray, and use several
changes of alcohol/water. I wouldn't agitate until
most or all of the mud soaks off.

Soak the slide long enough to dissolve the crusted on crud. *Don't brush or
wipe anything off!!!* Try to gently agitate the slide and get the crud to come
off on its own.

After you get off the majority of the mud, you might be able to clean the film
with some type of film cleaner.

I wouldn't recommend film cleaners. You can use
pure Isopropyl Alcohol 98%. Then photoflo and hang
to dry.

Old January 29th 05, 06:27 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/28/2005 11:12 PM Tom Phillips spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Yes, good point: probably the best guide here would be that part of the
Hippocratic Oath that says "first, do no harm". Resist the temptation to mess
with the slides.

But are you sure isopropyl is OK to use on color film? I guess it would do a
better job than just plain water, so long as it doesn't harm the emulsion.

Old January 29th 05, 06:42 PM
RSD99

(1) Remove the slides from their cardboard mounts.

(2) Soak in "Distilled Water" (2 1/2 gallon jug from the market =~ $2.00)
with a couple of drops of Kodak's PhotoFlow ... using David's procedure
posted "above" ... "long enough to dissolve the crusted on crud. *Don't
brush or wipe anything off!!!* Try to gently agitate the slide and get the
crud to come off on its own."

(3) Clean anything else off with PEC-12 Archival Film Cleaner, use the
manufacturer's directions for that product. PEC-12 is available from almost
any photo store, and many places "on line."

(4) Remount the slides using slide mounts of your choice ... they are
available from almost any photo store in many styles and configurations,
and from many places "on line."

PS - It *would* be a good idea to practice on a couple of slides before
doing the deed.

om...

Old January 29th 05, 09:22 PM
Tom Phillips

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

See Kodak publication CIS-145 Recommendations for
Cleaning Photographic Materials

Kodak recommends 98% alcohol and says it has no
detrimental effect on the image stability of tested
silver halide emulsions (either silver or dyes.) Plain
water is o.k. but if water is used you must completely
immerse the entire film all at once (rewash) since
applying water locally will cause swelling in just one
area of the emulsion. 98% alcohol can be used to clean
locally with a swab without swelling. But in this case
he needs to wash the film anyway. Alcohol should not be
used to clean nitrate-based films (will damage the film
base) plus alcohol of lower purity isn't recommended due
to possibility of streaking.

Some color negatives may have non-image-forming dye
residue (magenta) on the film surface which alcohol
will cause to streak but this isn't the case with
transparencies or at least modern transparencies.
Slides are processed using formalin/formaldehyde as a
dye stabilizer and cannot be washed out. I'm sure
Kodak wouldn't recommend alcohol if it affected this.

BTW, I'd recommend wearing surgical type gloves when
handling/washing the slides since the emulsion will
get very soft and easily damaged by fingernails etc.
Old January 29th 05, 09:24 PM
Tom Phillips

RSD99 wrote:

(1) Remove the slides from their cardboard mounts.

(2) Soak in "Distilled Water" (2 1/2 gallon jug from the market =~ $2.00)
with a couple of drops of Kodak's PhotoFlow ... using David's procedure
posted "above" ... "long enough to dissolve the crusted on crud. *Don't
brush or wipe anything off!!!* Try to gently agitate the slide and get the
crud to come off on its own."

(3) Clean anything else off with PEC-12 Archival Film Cleaner, use the
manufacturer's directions for that product. PEC-12 is available from almost
any photo store, and many places "on line."

(4) Remount the slides using slide mounts of your choice ... they are
available from almost any photo store in many styles and configurations,
and from many places "on line."

Since he really has no choice but to wash the slides
there is really should be no reason to use a dry PEC
cleaner pad after washing and drying the film. In fact
I'd say this is not a good idea under the circumstances
since any tiny bits of dirt or mud residue remaining in/
on the emulsion will only end up scratching the film.
If he does need to spot clean after washing it would
probably be better to use a alcohol as surface lubricant.

PS - It *would* be a good idea to practice on a couple of slides before
doing the deed.

om...

Old February 1st 05, 01:57 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
I have about 50, 35mm slides that were caught in a flood a
number of
years ago. They are covered with mud to one degree or
another.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean them?

I have some that I am not interested in recovering that I
can practice
on.

Please reply to:

Thanks, Bill

I think the best advice is to contact Kodak Customer
Service and also to talk to some conservators. Kodak is at 1
800 242 2424, ask for extension 19 (professional service).
Kodak's current recommendation is to clean the _emulsion_
side with very dry (99+%) Isoproply alcohol, but it should
not be used on the support side. There are probably better
materials available with some difficulty.
There may be some material at the Conservation On Line
site at
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu
This is not a trivial problem. It is usually recommended
that the affected film be kept wet until it can be treated.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Slides to CD to hand out a Christmas - help Mike Koperskinospam 35mm Photo Equipment 10 December 18th 04 10:41 PM
Scanning slides vs Prints [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 9 November 5th 04 09:23 PM
Old slides v recent slides [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 11 September 29th 04 02:28 AM
Scanning 35mm Slides MATT WILLIAMS Film & Labs 16 July 2nd 04 08:41 AM
Cleaning Kodachrome slides? Mark In The Darkroom 9 February 20th 04 07:30 AM