I Gb compact flash vs 512Mb (or even 256) compact flash

Old September 11th 04, 07:28 PM
James Addison

Savidge4 wrote:
SanDisk 2GB CompactFlash Card Type 1
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...73&dcaid=17073
FREE SHIPPING!
Buy.com price: $136.99

Better start looking at DVD drives!

Just as a joke to all of you here, check out this link on my website
regarding getting a 5GB card (really a microdrive) for your camera:

http://www.pjsoft.ca/node/view/296

I saw the original link on Slashdot, so if you're familiar with that
site, you'll realize that some 'handiwork' might be required - but it
apparently works!

Good luck to you if you try it - you'll need it. Don't blame me if you
break anything.

--
James Addison
http://www.pjsoft.ca

Old September 12th 04, 05:27 AM
Gadgets

Thanks for the link! Sounds Ok for some situations, but I think the D70
manual mentions that microdrive speeds don't allow full frame rate or
something similar? Wouldn't be a problem most of the time, but for
sports...

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

Old September 12th 04, 08:01 PM
Rick S.

On 10 Sep 2004 11:20:09 GMT, (Savidge4) wrote:

when I see the 2gb cards come down in price I'll get a DVD drive.

SanDisk 2GB CompactFlash Card Type 1
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...73&dcaid=17073
FREE SHIPPING!
Buy.com price: $136.99

Better start looking at DVD drives!

Savidge, thank you for the info. Major vendor, super low price, name
brand product, so I went and got 2. travel problem solved.
I just wonder, though: Newegg sells the exact same thing for $227!
Is it possible these at Buy.com are 'seconds'? Newegg is a pretty
respected on line vendor; Buy.com is well known, but not as respected
or reviewed. Maybe that's how Newegg survives with the higher prices;
faster shipping, better online support or something.
I usually will go a slightly higher price for those reasons, but in
this case, 90 bucks savings times 2, for a standard off the shelf
commercial item, all that stuff drops away.
Same SANDISK part number, but there's still a part of me that wonders
if they are reconditioned, or 'seconds' or something.
Old September 13th 04, 02:40 AM
Michael Meissner

Rick S. writes:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:43:01 +0000 (UTC), (Mr.
M.J. Lush) wrote:

I'm going on a long trip and will not have any downloading capability.

If I were going on a long trip without a laptop, I'd be inclined to go
for enough 512Mb CF cards for a day or two's shooting (probably two)
and a standalone protable CD writer.
http://www.cameraandphotostore.com/shop/detail/item7791006.html
http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1183/prodtype.asp

Every time a card filled up, I'd burn two CD's, one I'd keep, the other
I'd post home. My only worry with this approch is how to verify the files
have been sucessfully transfered...

Some of the portable CD burners (Apacer, Roadstor) have a verify after writer
where it takes twices as long, but verifies the write was error free. On the
high end models you can also view the pictures on a TV screen (and it is also a
portable DVD viewer as well).

Not a bad idea... in fact, I wonder if there is a gadget on the market
that will enable transfer or copy just to another CF card? 2 CF card
failures would not be likely...

The Delkin USB bridge can copy from a camera or card reader to a disk or a CD
burner, so I imagine it would copy to a card reader, but it would create the
second CF card with the first card's files as a subdirectory (ie, instead of
dcim/100olymp, it would create disk0001/dcim/100olymp).

--
Michael Meissner
email:

http://www.the-meissners.org

Old September 13th 04, 03:51 AM
Paul J Gans

Ken Tough wrote:
Paul J Gans wrote:

Ken Tough wrote:
Really? I can think of a lot of places where CD burning is a bit
of a mission. As you get outside Namerica (esp in rural areas),
the capabilities will drop drastically, and prices could be steep.

My wife is going to the Antarctic this December. Anyone
know of a place where she can burn a CD?

Fantastic! Wow, lucky. I'd say she ought to bring a laptop
along and burn it herself.

No. She's travelling light.

She's got a Nikon 3100 so I figure a couple of 256 Mb cards
should take care of it. She'll probably run out of batteries
first... ;-)

With all those penguins you'd think that some of them would
be running Linux...

In the land of the midnight Sun? I doubt it!

I'll ask her to check and see...

---- Paul J. Gans