Wet Camera - junk?

Old September 12th 04, 06:51 PM
jmc

Default Wet Camera - junk?

My husband's new Sony Cybershot U40 stopped working yesterday, after
we tried (and failed - 71+ mph winds and sleet) to climb Snowdon [1]
yesterday. It was in the bottom of his pack, wrapped in something
that should be waterproof, but apparently wasn't. Almost seems this
might be more "high humidity" than anything else. I tried to tell him
not to turn it on again for a few days, let it dry out, but of course
he had to try it a couple more times.

It is currently hanging in the airing closet, no battery, doors open,
for at least three days.

1) What are the chances this camera will ever work again?
2) Any recommendations for getting it to work?
3) Will Sony repair it for less than the cost of the camera, do you
think?

Thank God my Nikon Coolpix 8700 stayed dry! 'Course, once it started
to rain, it stayed inside the plastic bag in my pack, & didn't come
out 'till we got back inside the hotel. Gotta look for a wetsuit for
the thing.

Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated!

[1] Snowdon is the highest mountain in Wales. I could not have
possibly been wetter by the time we made it off the mountain. Made it
within 150m of the top, but in the end the winds defeated me, as I'm
small enough they could very easily push me off my feet. NOT a good
thing on an unprotected mountain ridge.

jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.
Old September 12th 04, 07:02 PM
Bill Crocker

Don't give up on it. Give it a good week to dry. Tell your husband he
should have listened to you!
(Good God...did I just say that???)

Bill Crocker

Old September 12th 04, 07:12 PM
Phil Stripling

I would think it should be dry by now, but I don't know what an airing
closet is, and I don't know the humidity. Give it a try. If it works now,
fine, if not, either keep trying to dry it, take it in for an estimate for
repoairs, or just buy another camera.
Old September 12th 04, 08:16 PM
peter

Sometimes water may get into small cracks that is difficult to dry by airing
out.
If it doesn't work, try using a hair dryer on mild heat. The heat would help
evaporate water hiding in cracks. Opening the case may also help.

Turning-on wet electronic items runs a chance of shorting out something
permenantly. If I have to guess, I'd say 50% chance it would still work.
With today's electronics, even when the main power is off, part of the
circuit may still be on. Removing all batteries is the only way to make sure
it is off. Let's hope nothing in your camera gets oxidized.

Old September 13th 04, 12:38 AM
Ron Hunter

jmc wrote:
[...]

A sealed plastic bag with some dessicant (silica gel) would help a lot
in the future. I expect that your camera is a casualty.

Old September 13th 04, 01:29 AM
James Addison

jmc wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this helps at all, but my Nokia cell phone went through
a partial cycle in the washing machine, and did not work (even though I
immediately attempted to turn it on). I took it apart (probably against
the warranty, though) as much as I could, and then took it into a cell
store, where they took it apart even more, dried out the internals, etc.

You'd be surprised just how much liquid gets inside all the electronics,
taking it completely apart really is the only option, in my opinion. As
I've said, it probably voids your warranty though. A professional
camera shop could probably do it for you...

By the way, my cell worked flawlessly after the complete dismantlement
for airing. Victory!

--
James Addison
http://www.pjsoft.ca