How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers (was: Reason for so many focus errors we see today?)

Old July 7th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers (was: Reason for so many focus errors we see today?)

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 19:52:11 -0500, Yeah - I knew they were stupid.
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 18:11:06 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:37:31 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

Can't see how having a dial to set the focusing distance is such a crazy
thing.
if I know my subject will be 2 metres away I can';t see why I shouldn't have
an easy
method of selecting 2M as the focusing distance rather than hoping auto
focus
will do it.

What do you do, though, when your object is 6.56167979 feet away?

Convert that to 1,999.9999 mm (or 2000mm since there's less than 1um
difference) and then input that number into any CHDK P&S camera's manual
focus subject-distance override feature. Precise subject-distance focus,
accurate to 1mm precision within a full 65.535 meter range (nearly the
length of a football field), instantly focused. Some of us actually have
cameras capable of these technological possibilities. We can even reproduce
that exact focus point anytime that we want. Or any other focus point with
1mm precision. Is your subject at 23.472 meters? No problem. Do note though
that anything beyond the 65.535 meter range then becomes superfluous since
DOF at available f/stops is already inclusive of that distance out to
infinity, a common hyperfocal scenario.

What's that? Your camera can't do this? Pity.

Buy and learn how to use a superior camera that can do these things
whenever you might need to.

Catch up.

Idiot. 6.56167979 feet is exactly two meters. People of average
intelligence or greater caught that right away. Any of below-average
intelligence started nattering away about CHDK enabled point and shoot
camera capabilities.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 7th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Yeah - I knew they were stupid.

wrote:

[...]

No, the more intelligent person saw it as a fun opportunity to educate the
masses about a superior camera system with superior features that they may
not have known about. While in the same turn of events they also managed to
exploit and make a fool out of a brain-dead DSLR-Troll (again) for their
own entertainment purposes. Two birds with one stone. Or three, depending
on how you are counting. I consider my laughter a freebie so didn't include
that benefit of this simple event in my total bird-count. Other's might
include my laughter as another task accomplished.

You must enjoy being used so easily, so often.

btw: 6.56167979 ft. is not exactly two meters. Did you not know this?

Catch up. On all counts. LOL!

Old July 7th 09, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

tony cooper
wrote:

Can't see how having a dial to set the focusing distance is such a crazy
thing.
if I know my subject will be 2 metres away I can';t see why I shouldn't have
an easy
method of selecting 2M as the focusing distance rather than hoping auto
focus
will do it.

What do you do, though, when your object is 6.56167979 feet away?

Convert that to 1,999.9999 mm (or 2000mm since there's less than 1um
difference) and then input that number into any CHDK P&S camera's manual
focus subject-distance override feature. Precise subject-distance focus,
accurate to 1mm precision within a full 65.535 meter range (nearly the
length of a football field), instantly focused. Some of us actually have
cameras capable of these technological possibilities.

No, none of you do. There is no camera that you can buy that has a
focusing accuracy of 0.005%.

Just because you can send the command doesn't mean that the mechanics
and optics are that accurate.

--
Ray Fischer

Old July 7th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Yeah - I knew they were stupid.

wrote:

[...]

Your claim. But now you have to prove it.

Are you even aware of how an ultrasonic focusing mechanism works? One that
can and will ensure this degree of accuracy. Just because you're used to
your sloppy manual focus-rings with irreproducible and inconsistent results
and your constant hit 'n miss phase-detection auto-focus, doesn't mean that
all cameras made today are dependent on that last-century technology,
cameras that poorly designed with such huge tolerances for error.

Just because you can send the command doesn't mean that the mechanics
and optics are that accurate.

Or perhaps they can, just because you know no better.

Old July 7th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, right.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 7th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

wrote:

[...]

No, I don't. If you believe otherwise then you're stupid.

Are you even aware of how an ultrasonic focusing mechanism works? One that
can and will ensure this degree of accuracy.

Nope.

--
Ray Fischer

Old July 7th 09, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

You obviously don't, since that degree of accuracy simply isn't within
the basic physics of the technology! Nor is there any reason in the
optics of the most perfect digital camera possible with sensors of
this size why anything near that degree of precision would offer the
slightest benefit.

Just because you're used to
your sloppy manual focus-rings with irreproducible and inconsistent results
and your constant hit 'n miss phase-detection auto-focus, doesn't mean that
all cameras made today are dependent on that last-century technology,
cameras that poorly designed with such huge tolerances for error.

Just because you can send the command doesn't mean that the mechanics
and optics are that accurate.

Or perhaps they can, just because you know no better.

If you don't understand the basic physics and technology of cameras
then everything is magic and anything is possible :-)
Old July 7th 09, 10:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

whisky-dave wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:

The same way as I tell the camera what exposure to set ???????//

Of course not. Unless your 'exposure setting dial' also
changes the focus.

I wouldn't mind that as an option.

To each man his own crazyness.

Can't see how having a dial to set the focusing distance is such a crazy
thing.

That's one thing and comes bundled with about any DSLR lens.
It's another thing to have it change exposure and focus *at
the same time*.

Well, I get photons transported from the sun every day.
They come literally at light speed.

Not quite, as they aren't in a vacuum.

They come literally at light speed. That is literally true.

They don't come at "light speed in vacuum" for the whole distance,
as the sun is a bit denser, so they are at light speed in the
medium "sun" for a tiny distance. (The few kilometers air
doesn't even start to count, and is very close to vacuum light
speed anyway.)

Duplicating them would help in which way?

You;d have twice as many, you have heard of night vision that uses image
intensifiers rather than infra red.

You'd still have at least the same photon noise, but yes, you
could gain 1 to 1.5 stops if you duplicate them enough just in
front of the sensor.

-Wolfgang
Old July 7th 09, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

tony cooper wrote:
wrote:

Can't see how having a dial to set the focusing distance is such a
crazy thing. if I know my subject will be 2 metres away I can';t see
why I shouldn't have an easy method of selecting 2M as the focusing
distance rather than hoping auto focus will do it.

What do you do, though, when your object is 6.56167979 feet away?

Point out that this is about 1/500 of the green light
wavelength, or the diameter of a carbon nanotube, or 1/2 of
the smallest transistor gate oxide thickness in accuracy.

Are you sure the subject is at that distance, and not at
6.56167978 feet?

-Wolfgang