Cleaning slides

Old September 27th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m Ransley

Default Cleaning slides

Can slides be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid or anything like
denatured alcohol or windex. Should a cotton swab or rag be used.

Old September 27th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Can slides be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid or anything like
denatured alcohol or windex. Should a cotton swab or rag be used.

Use a blower-brush to get the dust off. Ignore the fingerprints.

Old September 27th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Can slides be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid or anything like
denatured alcohol or windex. Should a cotton swab or rag be used.

Hi.

Think about it for just a few seconds, and you will realise that the film
was originally processed in wet chemicals and washed in water.

Slides can be washed in water with a mild detergent added. Just swish them
about, while holding the film rebate with forceps. Rinse off in clean
water to which has been added a few drops of "Wetting Agent", which is
itself a sort of detergent. Allow to dry in a dustfree area, a bathroom is
ideal.

Roy G

Old September 27th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 22:29:42 GMT, "Roy G"
wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Can slides be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid or anything like
denatured alcohol or windex. Should a cotton swab or rag be used.

Hi.

Think about it for just a few seconds, and you will realise that the film
was originally processed in wet chemicals and washed in water.

Slides can be washed in water with a mild detergent added. Just swish them
about, while holding the film rebate with forceps. Rinse off in clean
water to which has been added a few drops of "Wetting Agent", which is
itself a sort of detergent. Allow to dry in a dustfree area, a bathroom is
ideal.

Roy G

Big Problem: Anytime you get film wet, you are softening the
photographic emulsion. A soft emulsion is VERY easily damaged.

Gary
Old September 28th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I think I am aware of that, having processed hundreds of films over the
years.

Still, if my advice is followed carefully then no harm will come to the
slide.

Remember I did say hold with forceps on the rebate.

Roy G

Old September 28th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Edstrom

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:19:25 GMT, "Roy G"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Big Problem: Anytime you get film wet, you are softening the
photographic emulsion. A soft emulsion is VERY easily damaged.

Gary

I think I am aware of that, having processed hundreds of films over the
years.

Still, if my advice is followed carefully then no harm will come to the
slide.

Remember I did say hold with forceps on the rebate.

Roy G

First, my comment was not directed at you. It was directed at the
original poster. When someone asks if it is ok to use Windex to clean
film, I feel it is necessary to warn them about the nature of film.

Second, he was asking about cleaning slides. He would have to unmount
them in order to rewash them. He would then have to remount them. I
think that washing is out of the question.

Third, the best approach to use to cleaning film is the minimal
approach. Do the MINIMUM to do the job. If simply blowing the dust
off the frame works, do that. If not, gently wipe the surface of the
film with an approved cleaner and lintless cloth. Rewashing is a VERY
last resort.

Gary Edstrom
Old September 28th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
salgud

Roy G wrote:
"m Ransley" wrote in message
Can slides be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid or anything like
denatured alcohol or windex. Should a cotton swab or rag be used.

Hi.

Think about it for just a few seconds, and you will realise that the film
was originally processed in wet chemicals and washed in water.

Slides can be washed in water with a mild detergent added. Just swish them
about, while holding the film rebate with forceps. Rinse off in clean
water to which has been added a few drops of "Wetting Agent", which is
itself a sort of detergent. Allow to dry in a dustfree area, a bathroom is
ideal.

Roy G

Won't this ruin the cardboard?

Old September 28th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kurt Krueger

Roy G wrote:

Slides can be washed in water with a mild detergent added. Just swish them
about, while holding the film rebate with forceps. Rinse off in clean
water to which has been added a few drops of "Wetting Agent", which is
itself a sort of detergent. Allow to dry in a dustfree area, a bathroom is
ideal.

If you choose this route, make sure the bathroom is really dust free. I used
to use a bathroom for a darkroom. Vacuuming the walls and ceiling really
makes a difference in the amount of dust.
Old October 5th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article ,
"Roy G" wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Can slides be cleaned with lens cleaning fluid or anything like
denatured alcohol or windex. Should a cotton swab or rag be used.

Hi.

Think about it for just a few seconds, and you will realise that the film
was originally processed in wet chemicals and washed in water.

Slides can be washed in water with a mild detergent added. Just swish them
about, while holding the film rebate with forceps. Rinse off in clean
water to which has been added a few drops of "Wetting Agent", which is
itself a sort of detergent. Allow to dry in a dustfree area, a bathroom is
ideal.

Better still, find a neighbour with a pre-teething baby. Give him or her
a box to work with and bob's your uncle!