HDR Newbie Questions

Old September 25th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Default HDR Newbie Questions

wrote:
On Sep 24, 12:34 pm, BRH BRH wrote:

DigiCamUK wrote:

I've just discovered HDR !!

Looked but cannot find a definitive answer, what would be a recommended
range for bracketing, either auto, or manual, to achieve the best
results.

Both my digital cameras will only auto bracket maximum 1 stop, is a
greater difference recommended. If so, what ?

Also, 3 or 5 or more photo's, is there really a difference ?

You valuable experience is welcomed.

I've been playing with PhotoMatix HDR software, I have Photoshop 7 on my
iMac, not CS2/3, not really understanding layers, is it possible to at
least simulate HDR using layers ?

I can't help with your question, but I have an even more basic one --
What is HDR?

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. You should try to google and type
in HDR Photography. You will be surprised on the kind of images that
produced using the technique. I came across the HDR a few years back.
It was a website showing photos at the University of cambridge
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/cambridge-gallery.htm

That site has great tutorials also:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...amic-range.htm

In short, the photos include all of the ranges of shades in a pictures
so that everything is bright and sharp. If you take a shot inside a
restaurant, you will notice the closest objects are bright but the
back is dark. By taking a couple shots with under and over exposures,
you are combining portion of the photo area to keep all in bright and
sharp images. I guess the various websites can explain it better than
me.
Popular softwares to use include Photomatix, or Adobe Photoshop CS2.
But I heard there are lots of others and even some freewares.
Hope that this helps

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old September 25th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

DigiCamUK wrote:

I've just discovered HDR !!

Looked but cannot find a definitive answer, what would be a recommended
range for bracketing, either auto, or manual, to achieve the best
results.

Both my digital cameras will only auto bracket maximum 1 stop, is a
greater difference recommended. If so, what ?

Also, 3 or 5 or more photo's, is there really a difference ?

You valuable experience is welcomed.

I've been playing with PhotoMatix HDR software, I have Photoshop 7
on my
iMac, not CS2/3, not really understanding layers, is it possible to at
least simulate HDR using layers ?

Looks interesting! Thanks for the explanations.