Power related problem in Sony digicam

Old September 24th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
teju

Default Power related problem in Sony digicam

I own a DSC-P52 Sony digital camera which runs on 2 standard alkaline
AA batteries. I put in two new batteries in the camera. The camera
powered up and showed full charge. But within a few clicks and 5-7
mins later, the camera shut down as if there was no juice left in the
batteries. It did not start up again. I tried with different batteries
(not new but operating other devices). Still doesnt work. Any idea
what this problem could be?

Old September 24th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chuck Olson

"teju" wrote in message
oups.com...
I own a DSC-P52 Sony digital camera which runs on 2 standard alkaline
AA batteries. I put in two new batteries in the camera. The camera
powered up and showed full charge. But within a few clicks and 5-7
mins later, the camera shut down as if there was no juice left in the
batteries. It did not start up again. I tried with different batteries
(not new but operating other devices). Still doesnt work. Any idea
what this problem could be?

Either bad camera or out of date or pre-used AA cells. You would probably
do better with rechargeable NiMH AA cells (they hold up output voltage much
longer than AA alkaline, even though they start out with slightly lower
voltage). At least with NiMH cells, they can pour out enough "juice" to make
the problem in the camera more visible by creating smoke (smile). Also, try
turning off the camera's flash - - most other parts of the camera don't have
a capability to draw a lot of current.

Chuck

Old September 24th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
teju

On Sep 24, 7:31 pm, "Chuck Olson"
wrote:
"teju" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I used new AA cells as well as rechargeable cells (fully charged just
before use). So something in the camera must be draining the batteries
or the camera fails to draw power (bad contacts maybe). I hope this
does not point to a circuit problem. Other functions of the camera
such as downloading from the stick work well.