Screwed by Canon Rebate

Old January 8th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Matt Clara

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

"Michael Black" wrote in message
Barry Watzman ) writes:
An "instant rebate" isn't a rebate at all, it's just a sale price. And
no doubt that it's better than a mail-in rebate of the same amount, but
you will NEVER find "instant rebates" that are the equivalent of the
larger mail-in rebates. The rebate "system" depends on the fact that
only a minority of buyers will ever apply for the rebate.

I'm glad you said that, because the whole "instant rebate" thing just
seems a renaming of "sale prices" because of the current trend to a lot
of real rebates.

I can remember decades ago, "rebates" were not common and you'd have
to buy six items to send off the box tops, or something similar, and
you didn't get much back. Yet, if you were lucky you'd know about
such a rebate, and it might give you something back if it was something
you actually were buying.

It's only in recent years that they've become a major "marketing tool".
And I think what irks many people is not the rebate thing, but the flyers
that make the rebate part of the deal. No longer is it a subtle matter of
finding a coupon somewhere and thinking "I was going to buy that anyway,
and getting a few dollars back would be neat". Instead, you see a great
price, and then the fine print says "after rebate". It is a promotional
tool, and the rebate becomes a far bigger part of the price and appeal
than those old coupons you might find somewhere. "That's on sale, I'll
buy it. Oh, I have to do a rebate".

I bought one product based on the rebate offered, got screwed on the rebate
(oh, that product isn't eligible for rebate), and decided that I'd never buy
a product again based on rebate. That should be every one's ideal.

Old January 8th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

Matt Clara wrote:

"clifto" wrote in message

I don't have to go back to the OP's article to know that he expressly
said he *always* attaches the UPC to the rebate form with tape.

Me neither, nor do I need to look at his first response in this thread he
started, in which he claimed he sent in a "copy" of the UPC.

Would you care to share that with the rest of us, since I can't
find it in this current thread. The first post in the current
incarnation of this thread (which was a reply to some old post
that neither my news server nor Google Groups seems to be able
to find) clearly states that the poster sent an original UPC
taped to the form.

FWIW however, I always STAPLE the UPC to the form, and where
there is room, I write "UPC" in big letters with a big arrow
pointing at it. It USUALLY works.

Bill
Old January 8th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Ken Davey

Please join my team in the fight against cancer.
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...3-AEB0DD18A6CE
"Bill" wrote in message

Matt Clara wrote:

"clifto" wrote in message

I don't have to go back to the OP's article to know that he expressly
said he *always* attaches the UPC to the rebate form with tape.

Me neither, nor do I need to look at his first response in this thread he
started, in which he claimed he sent in a "copy" of the UPC.

Would you care to share that with the rest of us, since I can't
find it in this current thread. The first post in the current
incarnation of this thread (which was a reply to some old post
that neither my news server nor Google Groups seems to be able
to find) clearly states that the poster sent an original UPC
taped to the form.

FWIW however, I always STAPLE the UPC to the form, and where
there is room, I write "UPC" in big letters with a big arrow
pointing at it. It USUALLY works.

Bill

This has been a huge thread and I haven't read all of it but...
Personally a mail-in rebate is a dealbreaker - period!
They are a bloody scam.

--
Regards.
Ken.

Old January 8th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ken Davey wrote:

This has been a huge thread and I haven't read all of it but...
Personally a mail-in rebate is a dealbreaker - period!
They are a bloody scam.

The last one I used was for 4 12-packs of Diet Coke for $10 with
a $10 rebate. That's one of the few I've gone for since the
4 for 10 was a good price all by itself.

Old January 11th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Matt Clara

"Bill" wrote in message

Matt Clara wrote:

"clifto" wrote in message

I don't have to go back to the OP's article to know that he expressly
said he *always* attaches the UPC to the rebate form with tape.

Me neither, nor do I need to look at his first response in this thread he
started, in which he claimed he sent in a "copy" of the UPC.

Would you care to share that with the rest of us, since I can't
find it in this current thread. The first post in the current
incarnation of this thread (which was a reply to some old post
that neither my news server nor Google Groups seems to be able
to find) clearly states that the poster sent an original UPC
taped to the form.

Yes it did, it also said: "Since they want "an original" qualifying UPC", my
copy won't suffice."

So first he said he always tapes it in there, and then he said his copy
won't suffice. I won't make one claim or the other as to what he actually
did, but there is some abiguity about it.

Old January 11th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Michael Black

"Matt Clara" ) writes:

Yes it did, it also said: "Since they want "an original" qualifying UPC", my
copy won't suffice."

So first he said he always tapes it in there, and then he said his copy
won't suffice. I won't make one claim or the other as to what he actually
did, but there is some abiguity about it.

This thread has been going on for so long, it's hard to remember. But that
bit about "copy" may have been in reference to the state he was in,
since they refused the rebate claiming it included no UPC, but since
he sent the UPC in already, all he has is a copy of it.

In other words, he sent in the UPC originally, they claim they didn't get
it, and all he has is a copy of that UPC.

His mistake is in thinking that if they claimed there was no UPC with
the rebate form, they will automatically deny the copy now. But right
now, he is fighting them for the rebate, and the copy is all he has
to work with.

Michael

Old January 11th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Pop`

Matt Clara wrote:
"clifto" wrote in message
-hh wrote:
John wrote:
There's no other way of phrasing it: CANON RIPPED ME OFF EVEN
THOUGH I FOLLOWED ALL THE RULES.

Actually, it is the Redemption company who is Canon's representative
who is doing the "ripping offing".

It would appear that their excuse was because they were able to
"lose" your UPC since you didn't physically attach it.

I don't have to go back to the OP's article to know that he expressly
said he *always* attaches the UPC to the rebate form with tape.

Me neither, nor do I need to look at his first response in this
thread he started, in which he claimed he sent in a "copy" of the UPC.

It's dumb to buy ANY product with a rebate attached if you expect to be able
to use it. Rebates are a marketing tactic that makes money on the confusing
directions and descriptions of hte "how to" and most people will just forget
about them rather than be enuogh of a pistol to make them pay.

I refuse to buy anything that has a rebate and I'm quite vocal about it in
the stores. If they want to lower the price for me, let them do it with the
cash register.
Also note: You pay sales tax on the rebated money. You get the rebate,
but not the portion of sales tax that was paid; another marketing technique
to increase sales.
It makes almost as much sense as no payment until 2008; yeah, those are
great deals!!

Avoid rebates. Complain about them.

FWIW,
Pop`

Old January 11th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

Michael Black wrote:

"Matt Clara" ) writes:

[...]

That is correct. The "copy won't suffice" was in regards to his
wanting to fix it ("No matter how hard I tried, Canon still
managed to screw me over.") but that a copy won't work (at least
that's the way I read it). While it is possible that the rebate
house would pull that, more likely is that they WILL take the
copy with a resubmission, either by mail or fax.

Obviously Matt missed where the original poster said prior to
that:

I send in my rebate to Canon along with all the rebate form, purchase
receipt and I cut out the UPC code from the box and put that in the
envelope.

Bill
Old January 11th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

Pop` wrote:

It's dumb to buy ANY product with a rebate attached if you expect to be able
to use it. Rebates are a marketing tactic that makes money on the confusing
directions and descriptions of hte "how to" and most people will just forget
about them rather than be enuogh of a pistol to make them pay.

It's dumb to make a broad generalization about all rebates being
bad. At minimum, rebates that you can submit online (like
Staples, some of CompUSA's and Rite Aid) are excellent and
almost error (and fool) proof. I'll bet even you'd get paid.

I refuse to buy anything that has a rebate and I'm quite vocal about it in
the stores. If they want to lower the price for me, let them do it with the
cash register.

Good for you. More left for the rest of us who can follow
instructions and wait a couple of months sometimes a little
longer) for a great deal. What do the cashiers say when you tell
them that you're not buying it because of the rebate? Do they
even care? I'd bet even most managers could care less.

Also note: You pay sales tax on the rebated money. You get the rebate,
but not the portion of sales tax that was paid; another marketing technique
to increase sales.

What does that have to do with sales tax?? Yes, rebates inflate
sales figures. They also inflate sales tax revenues. but that
is not a marketing technique.

It makes almost as much sense as no payment until 2008; yeah, those are
great deals!!

It's an excellent deal if you don't pay anything to get it.

Avoid rebates. Complain about them.

FWIW,
Pop`

FWIW? Not much.

Bill
Old January 11th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Matt Clara

"Bill" wrote in message
Michael Black wrote:

"Matt Clara" ) writes:

[...]

You guys can think what you'd like, obviously, but I'm quite sure I missed
nothing. You may be able to interpret what he's saying as you do, but it's
not crystal clear that's what he meant--not even close to crystal clear.
Thus it's ambiguous. Period.