Nikon N80 "sudden death"

Old December 31st 04, 05:11 PM
Lam

Default Nikon N80 "sudden death"

I've purchased a Nikon N80 with Nikkor 28-80mm AF about 2 years ago. I
rarely used it because I get used to with the point and shot digital
camera. About 6 rolls of film were taken by this camera. The last time
I used it was 4 months ago. This Christmas I took it out but I found
out the LCD had no display when I turned the camera on. I thought it
was the batteries but after I replaced the batteries with the fresh one
(Energize brand), nothing changed. If I close the battery door halfway,
I got the power to the camera but I can only see from the view finder.
The power lasted about 30 seconds. Sometime I could see a quick display
on the LCD screen. It seems there is the short-circuit but I have no
way to confirm. Before I tear this camera body apart to experiment it
myself, I would like to have some advice from anyone who knows about
camera. I don't think it's cheap to have this camera repaired by Nikon
or pro services.

Thank you in advance,

Lam

Old December 31st 04, 05:51 PM
funkydog

Hi. You might want to have Nikon in your part of the world check it out
for a minimal fee. Could just be a minor problem with oxidized battery
contacts. It'd be more expensive for Nikon to fix a botched DIY repair
job. And if you consider the N80 disposable because of this issue,
could I have it please?

------

Old December 31st 04, 07:51 PM
Joseph Kewfi

I've purchased a Nikon N80 with Nikkor 28-80mm AF about 2 years ago. I
rarely used it because I get used to with the point and shot digital
camera.

Did you leave batteries inside the camera while you weren't using it for
long periods?

ups.com...

Old January 1st 05, 02:58 AM
McLeod

On 31 Dec 2004 09:11:15 -0800, "Lam" wrote:

If I close the battery door halfway,
I got the power to the camera but I can only see from the view finder.
The power lasted about 30 seconds.

Clean the inside of the battery compartment contacts with a pencil
eraser. If you left the batteries in you likely have contacts that
have corroded. Don't push too hard with the pencil eraser but clean
them thoroughly.
Old January 1st 05, 07:03 AM
Lam

Thanks for the tip. I did leave the batteries inside the camera quite
too long (not a smart way). I have thought about the bad contact at
the battery terminal and I did some cleaning but it did not help. It
seems there is the problem with power supply unit or the circuit board
was messed up (because of the heat in Texas). I will check the price
for the repair, if it's too high, I might have to give it up.