battery question

Old December 17th 04, 06:10 PM
Cliffy

Default battery question

I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

Old December 17th 04, 06:18 PM
Uno Hoo!

"Cliffy" wrote in message
I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

How old are the batteries? Re-chargeable batteries have a finite life and
eventually begin to fail and lose their charge rapidly. If this is the case
then just throw them away and replace them - they are cheap enough. If the
batteries are fairly new then I would suggest that you have problems with
the charger - Ni-Mh batteries should not lose power as rapidly as this.

Kev

Old December 17th 04, 06:30 PM
punk

Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride batteries
lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out of
the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
batteries are much better that way.

Old December 17th 04, 06:39 PM
Ken Weitzel

Cliffy wrote:
I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to use
the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

Hi...

Something's terrible wrong with either your batteries or
your charger. Given that you've two sets of batteries
most likely your charger. After only a week they should
be virtually still fully charged.

Unless that is, you've mixed the sets of batteries - and
one "set" of four is on it's last legs, but mixed in so as
to be some of in each set.

For a start, how about asking a friend or neighbor to
charge them up for you - perhaps eliminate the charger
as a suspect.

Should that fail, know it's a bad time of the year, but if
the budget permits, try a new set of four batteries.
(and if it hasn't been your practice so far; mark these
as a set with a bit of tape or a marker pen - then use them
and charge them only as a set)

Hope this helps.

Ken

Old December 17th 04, 06:44 PM
Ken Weitzel

punk wrote:

Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride batteries
lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out of
the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
batteries are much better that way.

Hi Punk... (somehow that doesn't feel right

I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

Nevertheless, even if it were fact; then instead of
going out and taking a couple hundred pics, he'd be
down to only 186... hardly noticable.

Take care.

Ken

Old December 17th 04, 07:07 PM
Steve Wolfe

Even when they're new, I've been told that Nicker Metal Hydride
batteries
lose about 1% of their charge everyday even when not being used and out

of
the camera. That's just the nature of the beast. The new Lithium ion
batteries are much better that way.

Hi Punk... (somehow that doesn't feel right

I agree that they do self-discharge as all batteries do;
but I think that 1% per day is greatly exaggerated...

NiMH batteries have some interesting drawbacks, here's a good URL:

Couple the facts that NiMH batteries are only good for about 500 cycles,
deep discharges shorten battery life, and that they can self-discharge 15%
to 20% within the first day, and with moderate use, it doesn't take terribly
long before you're just not getting much use out of them.

I have a good number of AA NiMH batteries that I've used on my digital
camera (light to moderate duty) for about two years, and they still work -
but don't hold nearly as much as when new, and if I want a lot of use out of
them, I have to grab them straight from the charger.

steve

Old December 17th 04, 07:08 PM
MTBike1970

"Cliffy" wrote in message
I use rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries in my Olympus D-560
camera. And recharge on an Energizer Class 2 charger. The batteries loose
their charge very quickly whether in or out of the camera. If I want to

use
the camera after about a week or so, batteries are gone and so are the
standby batteries. Is this normal? What can I do to have a ready camera?

here are a couple of websites if you want to read up on this topic...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

http://www.buchmann.ca/

cheers...MTB