newbie questions on 20d

Old December 3rd 04, 07:18 AM

Default newbie questions on 20d

thanks to all who gave useful answers :-) ... as there are a limited
number of choices i had assumed that someone has already tried
most/all of them and i am a great believer in not re-inventing the
wheel and indeed have been known to even open textbooks to see the
answers my colleagues have come up with :-) ...

as i plan to import only the images i like (from the memory cards) and
then spend a lot of time in post processing in photoshop is there any
advantage to shooting both jpg and raw simultaneously? it just seems
to take up more space and i only create jpg's after i've processed
images - i then shrink them and put them in jpg's to send out to
friends/colleagues ...

thanks again ...this looks like a fun camera ... though i'll probably
take a (shudder) film camera also on my next trip ... :-) ...

steve
Old December 4th 04, 08:59 AM
MarkČ

wrote in message
thanks for the excellent advice ... i will dump all the raw files both
on the travel computer and onto a dvd ...and then review them at home
... and of course i can get a jpg from a raw but apparently if one
asks the 20d to save a raw+high quality jpg, one gets fewer images per
card ... so my plan was to save just the raw files and create jpg's
later if i had to send them to someone ....

If you're woried about space, then I'd suggest setting RAW files to save the
smallest jpeg. -It gives you a choice of how large a jpeg to embed within
the RAW file. It really is handy and FAST to extract these jpegs from the
RAW file. It will take you maybe 30 seconds to extract all the jpegs from a
card full of RAW files, vs. 20 minutes or more (perhaps MUCH more if you've
got a mid-speed computer) to generate jpegs from the RAW file itself (not
the same as extracting an embedded jpeg). It's up to you, of course, but
for me, it's just so handy to be able to review jpegs immediately to give
up.

If you're really that cramped for card space, you can pick up a 1GB CF card
at Costco.com for a mere $67.49 right now...or a 2GB(!) CF card for only
$129.99(!!!).
For that price, you can shoot all day long on the cheap.

i looked into c1raw and in doing a comparison of the mac and the
windows (and there is no support for the 20d yet in windows) i was
struck by the discrepancies by what their software will do for the mac
as vs. windows ...so i started to read their own users forum comments
...and found a lot of unhappy users who had also noted both points :-)
... as the $100 version comes with but one upgrade i opted to wait
until they have both 20d support (the camera i'm using ) and they've
ported more of the mac stuff to windows ...

C1 LE (the less expensive version) is still my first choice over Photoshop
CS' conversion plug-in (10D, but should yeild same result with 20D interms
of accuracy adn workflow)...and MILES ahead of Canon's software.

Old December 4th 04, 09:10 AM
MarkČ

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

BTW...Just in case you weren't aware...
The size of the jpeg you choose to save within the RAW file has no effect
whatsoever on the quality of the RAW data. The RAW file always has the full
data captured by the sensor.
-You likely know this, but just in case you didn't, it's worth
mentioning...since you have only referred to the "highest quality jpeg"
within the RAW file.