20d newbie questions

Old December 2nd 04, 01:28 PM
Skip M

Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
wrote in message
in looking through the options on the 20 d i discovered that i have a
few questions:

1) as i work with my pix in photoshop should i set my space to srgb or
rgb? i use rgb in photoshop
2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)
3) any suggestions to change any of the other functions?
4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
files?

tia ...

steve

Actually, what I've picked up here, and from the owner's manual, is that
sRGB is more workable.
As far as the parameters, you really need to determine that yourself. I
usually use parameter 1 and Set 1 that I've set with higher saturation. And
the B&W set, too.
The same goes for any of the other settings, but most have found that
setting the flash metering for "average" rather than the default
"evaluative" gives better results. And I have mine set to second curtain
synch so that any flash trails look more natural.
I took my camera out for a day in the park, with a notebook. I documented
everything I shot, changed settings endlessly, compared everything when I
got home, looked at all the variables, and decided what settings were the
most useful, for me. And I'm still changing some of them, as I get into
more and more situations.
Of course, your mileage may vary...

Old December 2nd 04, 02:35 PM
Leith Cassone

Also remember that only Parameter 2 settings are used in the "non
creative zone".

--------------------------------
Old December 2nd 04, 02:56 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Matt Ion" wrote in message

2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any of
the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)

I use the stock parameters with my Digital Rebel. Note that these
settings only take effect when the camera stores images as JPG; they don't
affect RAW files.

I disagree. Both the RAW file and the resulting EXIF TIFF show sharpness
+1, saturation +1 in the EXIF data if I use Parameter 1. For scientific
work I'm about to switch to Parameter 2.

Basically, Parameter 1 if you think you're going to be making some prints
direct from the camera; Parameter 2 if you're always going to post-process
your pictures.

4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon raw
files?

There's a plugin for the latest Photoshop...

Where do I get that? Also, the one that comes with the camera (Canon File
Viewer) works well. Photoshop without the Canon plugin can open .CRW files
but doesn't seem to interpret them correctly; they don't look too good.

Old December 2nd 04, 02:57 PM
Michael A. Covington

"David J Taylor" wrote in message

Steve,

There's a newsgroup dedicated to DSLRs like the 20D at:

rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Cheers,
David

Quite a bit of the world still doesn't get that newsgroup. I don't know
what happened to it, but neither of my 2 totally unrelated servers gets it
yet, even though it has existed for a month.

Old December 2nd 04, 02:58 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Leith Cassone" wrote in message
Also remember that only Parameter 2 settings are used in the "non
creative zone".

Parameter 1, you mean? Or are they backwards on the 20D compared to the
300D?

Old December 2nd 04, 07:30 PM

"David J Taylor" wrote:

1) as i work with my pix in photoshop should i set my space to srgb

or
rgb? i use rgb in photoshop
2) which of the 'parameters is better? 1 or 2 and if 2 should any

of
the subdivision be changed? (contrast, sharpness etc)
3) any suggestions to change any of the other functions?
4) does anyone have a favorite 'raw' software to import the canon

raw
files?

There's a newsgroup dedicated to DSLRs like the 20D at:

rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Post-processing talk is only allowed in that group if, and only if, it
pertains directly to "dslr photography". Since sRGB (or colour
managemnt in general) is not a direct dSLR issue, question (1) would
be off-topic there.

Questions (2) and (3) may be on-topic, but only if the question was
phrased to be specific to a dSLR. Read your Charter!

(4) would be off-topic, since it also lacks the sufficient dSLR
references, and indeed, even if it had such, probably is not specific
to dSLR cameras (because non-slr systems also have raw image formats).

Have you considered changing The Sacred Charter? It is so narrow that
one wonders just what can be posted there but for glorified "can you
read me my user manual" questions and answers about dSLR camera X.