Apple watch burns guy's wrist

Old November 25th 15, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Apple watch burns guy's wrist

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:17:11 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

Lithium battery got some moisture in it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ned-wrist.html

This would appear to be impossible. Anything to get on the news, I
guess. Or sue.
Old November 25th 15, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

Lithium battery got some moisture in it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ned-wrist.html

This would appear to be impossible. Anything to get on the news, I
guess. Or sue.

You never know. Li-ion batteries can put out a ton of current. I would
be surprised, if properly reported, Apple aren't on this like stink.
(As they have been in other cases with other products - like Sony
batteries in Apple laptops catching fire).

The band on the watch is a metal one (Milanese loop), so I'm curious
about the very hot spots - should be more evenly spread out if current
were flowing through there (which itself is unlikely given the metal
case of the watch. - none of this makes sense).

Of course there may be some other reason - as there was with the lady
who got an electric shock in China (non-Apple charger...)

Old November 25th 15, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

The band on the watch is a metal one (Milanese loop), so I'm curious
about the very hot spots - should be more evenly spread out if current
were flowing through there (which itself is unlikely given the metal
case of the watch. - none of this makes sense).

it's impossible for current to flow through the band.

the fact that there are burn marks only in the band area but nowhere
else does not add up.

Of course there may be some other reason - as there was with the lady
who got an electric shock in China (non-Apple charger...)

the reason is the guy is a liar.
Old November 30th 15, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , George Kerby
wrote:

Not that cars, planes, drones or any other device uses high energy
batteries.
What I suggest happend that he was fiddling with some electrical
device
and
it shorted to his watch strap. Those drone batteries can suply
400+ amps
for
a few seconds. Or if he was messing with a car a similar thing
could
happen.
Drop a spanner across a car batter and see what happens. Yes I
know car
batteries have no external terminals any nore than boats, planes
or drones
do. But that doesn't make it impossible to short out those
batteries if
yuo'r
working on the device.

car batteries absolutely do have external terminals. how do you
think
it connects to the car??

wearing metal jewelry when working with batteries is stupid.

he's trying to blame apple for his own ****up.

Just like clock boi and his ****ed up family...

clock boy didn't **** up at all, nor is his family ****ed up.

the school system and police ****ed up big time and they're going to
be
paying for their mistakes.

Clock Boy's father is a bit of an activist and just may have had his son
bring the clock in order to provoke a reaction.

Old November 30th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 10:45:15 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
In article , George Kerby
wrote:

[...]

We need to have the father appointed to Head of Homeland Security if
he is smart enough to predict that the school and the police would
react to a simple electronic project as a threat to national security.
Being an activist only works when the school and police officials go
into Chicken Little mode as they did.

The father was hoping to elicit a response, he has an agenda which is to
point out "Islamaphobia". He suceeded, that school and police fail.
FWIW, the boy was being very coy and not forthcoming in answering any
questions. He knew what he doing and he was well-coached. It was a
setup and they got what they wanted. The boy and his father aren't
innocent in this. The father has claimed that this incident will help
to spread Islam and he's a 9/11 "Truther". There is far more to this
than an overreaction by the school and police.

My grandson submitted his middle school Science Fair project today. It
was on the subject of solar cooking. He lined an pizza box with
aluminum foil and used the sun to cook hot dogs and marshmallows.

If he lived in Irving, Texas, he'd be in handcuffs and leg irons today
on a charge of bringing an explosive device to school because the
authorities decided that the cooked marshmallow resembles C-4 plastic
explosive.

He would be free by late afternoon, though, because he has white skin
and blue eyes. Everyone knows that only dark-skinned people with
brown eyes with the first name of something like Ahmed are terrorists.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Old November 30th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

clock boy didn't **** up at all, nor is his family ****ed up.

the school system and police ****ed up big time and they're going to
be
paying for their mistakes.

Clock Boy's father is a bit of an activist and just may have had his son
bring the clock in order to provoke a reaction.

We need to have the father appointed to Head of Homeland Security if
he is smart enough to predict that the school and the police would
react to a simple electronic project as a threat to national security.
Being an activist only works when the school and police officials go
into Chicken Little mode as they did.

My grandson submitted his middle school Science Fair project today. It
was on the subject of solar cooking. He lined an pizza box with
aluminum foil and used the sun to cook hot dogs and marshmallows.

when i was that age, we cooked hot dogs using wall current. in school.

that's *far* more dangerous, but a lot more fun.

If he lived in Irving, Texas, he'd be in handcuffs and leg irons today
on a charge of bringing an explosive device to school because the
authorities decided that the cooked marshmallow resembles C-4 plastic
explosive.

He would be free by late afternoon, though, because he has white skin
and blue eyes. Everyone knows that only dark-skinned people with
brown eyes with the first name of something like Ahmed are terrorists.

yep.
Old November 30th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS
wrote:

Just like clock boi and his ****ed up family...

clock boy didn't **** up at all, nor is his family ****ed up.

the school system and police ****ed up big time and they're going to
be
paying for their mistakes.

Clock Boy's father is a bit of an activist and just may have had his son
bring the clock in order to provoke a reaction.

nonsense.

how in the world could anyone have possibly predicted that the reaction
would violate school policy and his constitutional rights?

he's an inquisitive teen who likes to tinker with electronics as do
many kids his age. that should be *rewarded*, not punished. not every
kid his age would know how to do what he did.

the reality is that the teachers were very stupid, the school much more
so and the cops went *way* overboard. his rights were violated in so
many ways and they *all* need to pay for their ****ups, and they will.

what the family *should* do is demand resignations of the principal,
the english teacher (who is too stupid to be a teacher of anything) the
chief of police and all officers involved.

every single one of them violated policy or procedure in one way or
another and demonstrated that they are totally incompetent to do their
jobs.

worse, they conspired to cover up their ****ups by concocting a 'hoax
bomb' story and forcing the kid to admit it or be expelled. that way,
they're off the hook for everything. "see, it really was a hoax bomb,
he even admitted it, here's the form he signed". so what if it was
under duress and without being able to call his parents or a lawyer.

what's truly unfortunate is that other kids in the school district have
to deal with these morons.

$15m is *cheap* to make it all go away, but they're probably too stupid
to realize that and will try to fight it and end up in deeper **** than
they already are.
Old November 30th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS
wrote:

[...]

he said it was a clock, which it was. what else is there to say?

he also wanted to call his parents and was denied, which right there is
a huge ****up.

they also demanded that he admit to it being a hoax bomb when it's
clear as mud it was not a hoax bomb. it was a *clock*.

only a moron would think it had anything to do with a bomb.
unfortunately, that's what they all were. morons.

some people are *incredibly* stupid and unfortunately, they are in
positions of power.

He knew what he doing and he was well-coached. It was a
setup and they got what they wanted. The boy and his father aren't
innocent in this.

nonsense. the kid is a tinkerer and was proud of his project. most kids
that age can't do anything close to that.

the school ****ed up as did the cops. they are incompetent and need to
be fired, as they are potentially ****ing up other kids lives.
Old November 30th 15, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

The envioment he was in could be the cause. If he was repairing a
plane
engine and his wrist band happened to touch battery
terminals......
I know as I was watching one of my students connecting up his
drone
to a
battery without using proper connectors, 4mm terminal 5mm apart
and a
battery
cablable of sourcing ~417 amps at 11.1V

that would be his own negligence.

Yes othersise know as an accident, maybe the bloke with the burnt
wrist
had
an accident too.

that's not an accident.

It might classed as an accident in the real world not sure about yours,
because it's a Apple device, and I assume Apple devices can't cause
accidents
it's probbaly in their EULA somewhere.

it has nothing to do with apple.

How do you know that ?

you tell me. you came up with that scenario.

anyone wearing metal of any kind when working with electronics

How do you know that ?

you tell me. you came up with that scenario.

where
there is a risk of shock has only themselves to blame, regardless of
who makes the metal object.

it's called stupidity.

Where does it say he was working with electonics ?

you tell me. you came up with that scenario.

Driving too fast skidding and coming off the road, slipping with a knife
and
cuttign your finger is an accident too.

both are definitely *not* an accident. it's negligence and stupidity.

yep no such thing as an accident, no accident has ever occured in this
universe so far, yes we know, it's hardly news.

straw man.

the point is that what people call accidents are not accidents.

skidding off the road is driving too fast for conditions and/or not
knowing how to handle skids (it's not hard).

slipping with a knife is not taking proper care while carrying a knife
and/or not putting the knife into a protective sheath so that it can't
cut anyone or anything in case someone does slip.

again, people need to take responsibility for their actions.

people need to take responsibility for their actions.

Yes even Jesus.

what does a dead guy have to do with anything?

there was a direct cause, that being wearing metal while working on
electronics where the risk of shock, namely one that can cause serious
injury, is likely.

Where did you get this info from ?.

from your scenario.

Well done but where's the facts, that's what I want to know.
if it wasn't; an accident then it could have been a delibrate act.

it could have been an deliberate act. although unlikely, the
possibility can't be ruled out.

maybe he concocted a scheme to make it look like the watch burned him
in the hopes that he could get some money out of it.

lots of people try things like that.

So now you think it was aliebns is that it ?

that can be ruled out.

I said that this sort of thing might be the cause but we don't know what
he
was doing at the flying club at the time of the incedent.

it has nothing to do with a flying club or this particular case.

How do you know that ?

how do you know it did?

all we know is he had an apple watch and mysterious burn marks that
don't match his story.

you were talking about getting a shock from a powerful battery. anyone
wearing metal while working around such a battery has only themselves
to blame if they get shocked.

unless someone else was negligent, this is one reason why we have health and
safety laws.

which clearly states not to wear metal while working with batteries or
other electrical equipment where there's a risk of shock.

With inteligence you'd look at what was in the area that could cause such
thing that is a sensible place to start.

that is negligence by not taking the proper precautions. it's something
that is *completely* preventable.

Virtually all accidents are preventable that pretty much what the word
means.

just about everything that's called an accident could have been
prevented, which means it's not actually an accident. it's due to one
or more direct causes.

yes and that's what insurance is for isn't it. Taking out insurance doesn;t
stop accidetns does it. or do you thinbk Applecare magically protects against
damage ?

insurance is so that people don't suddenly have a huge financial hit.

self-insuring is *always* a financially better option but most people
aren't in a position to do that or responsible enough to pay if they
are.

the insurance companies know the risks and set the premiums so that
they make a profit, often a very big profit. they also have all sorts
of clauses to get out of paying so even if you do get insurance you
don't get very much back.

almost nothing is truly an accident.

depends on your definitions.

no it doesn't.

there is always a reason.

bridges don't fall down at random. cars don't randomly hit other cars.
guns don't randomly fire at people all by themselves.

if someone runs a red light and slams into another car, that's not an
accident. it's a deliberate and intentional act by the driver who was
not paying attention while driving and did not stop for the red light,
possibly because they were intoxicated.

and how does the person that was run into class this incident, is it not
reported as an accident becuse he didn;t delebrately place his car in front
to cause the event did he ?
So that would me in this case no accident took place.

correct. an accident did not take place.

the person running the red light failed to stop at the red light and
hit another vehicle. it's his fault. end of story.

why do you think there are traffic signals and other traffic laws?

But maybe you should discuss this with the resistant expert in English
otherwise known as Jonas or sandman...

it has nothing to do with english or any other language.

yes it does.
What iof you were driving and a drunk driver smashed in to you.

what about it?

someone driving drunk is putting themselves and others at risk, which
is why driving drunk is illegal.

it's *not* an accident.

Have you had an accident or not, if not you can't claim on insurance.

irrelevant.

people need to take responsibility for their actions and not just say
'it was an accident' when it clearly is not.

for that you have to understand what happened and where the fault lies
first.
If the idiot had brought a plastic band in stead of teh metal one then it
most likley wouldn;t have happeend so anyone with a metal watcgh band is
an
idiot just waiting for an accident to happen, is that what you mean ?

absolutely.

So metal cameras should be banned also just in case of an accident.

whoosh.

anyone who wears metal of any type while working around electronics
where a shock can injure or kill is an idiot. it's that simple.

anyone using a metal camera in any situation is a ****ing idiot.
Yopiu should NOT use a metal watch strap or camera or belt buckle anywhere
near
electrical appliances, no one should wear jewelry unless it's plastic.

what's so hard to understand about not using metal jewelry or other
metals when working with electrical equipment where a possible short
circuit can injure or kill? it's common sense.

anyone doing that is putting themselves and others at risk.

No one should drive in a car as we all know they crash it's never an
accidetn , no one should ever fly as no accidetn has taken place in the
history of avaition, no one should ride on a train, bus or any vehicle
travling above the speed a man can walk.

unrealistic, but that would eliminate crashes.

if something does happen, it's *entirely* their fault.

So if a drunk driver runs into you it's entirely yuor falut for being on teh
section of road, pavement or sidewalk.

nope, it's the fault of the drunk for driving while drunk.

So who fault was it that about thousands of peole died in the twin towers,
and was those that tried to resue them such as the NY fire fighters that gave
their lives to help others really their own raulty for being there ?

that was the fault of the terrorists who flew planes into the towers,
which was an intentional act.

it *definitely* was not an accident. it was a rather well planned
mission.

Which is why you look at the evidence, rather than his mouth or your
detailed
report.

exactly.

ignore what he says because he's going to blame everyone other than
himself.

This is from someone that believes those that died in the twin towers
was their own fault, because they shouldn't have been there.

i didn't say that.

As 'sherlock' would say "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever
remains,
no matter how improbable, must be the truth"

the impossible is that the watch itself caused the burns.

As I said then something else did.
But why isn't it Apples fault for supling dangerous metal watch straps, they
sgould only sell plastic surely.
Lets face it it wasntl; an accidetn Apple delibrately sells metal watch bands.

there's nothing wrong with metal watch bands.

there *is* something wrong with someone wearing a metal watch band when
working with electrical devices where a serious shock can occur.

it's also not specific to apple. it could be *any* metal band and it's
not just metal bands either.

not following proper safety procedures is the fault of the person who
didn't follow them. it's *not* the fault of maker of the items in
question.

in order for the watch band to get hot enough to burn, especially if it
was glowing (which is clearly bull****), the watch itself would *also*
have to had been hot.

Yes but what if the band is hotter than the watch.

that can't happen without an external source of heat.

in other words, it's not due to the manufacturer of the watch or the
band.

So to prove this the other source must be found.

it will.

if it was really glowing hot, the burns would be a *lot* worse than
they are in those photos.

That's what I would have thought but fuses get very hot but would do the
skin
much damaged. It's one of our labs blowing up a fuse.

fuses don't matter.

They do that's why they are used.

a fuse will not stop a failing lithium battery from igniting.

if the lithium battery inside a watch ignites, then the watch itself
would be very hot because there's a burning battery inside.

a fuse isn't going to stop that.

Depends on the reason the battery ignites doesn't it.

no.

if a battery has failed to the point of combustion, a fuse is not going
to make one bit of difference.

put simply, if the burns were caused by a hot band, the watch would be
even hotter, yet there are no burns in the watch area. it would also no
longer be functional.

So we know that something else must have happened rather than nothing
happened becase we can see the results, so something happend.

something else *did* happen.

the watch battery is a lithium polymer battery and does have the
potential of combusting, but it didn't.

what are the specs mAh ?

205 mah.

not that it matters.

it does.

no it doesn't.

any lithium ion or lithium polymer battery can ignite, even the little
ones.
Old November 30th 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 12:46:28 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 10:45:15 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
In article , George Kerby
wrote:

[...]

When you make a claim like the above, it really should be supported by
some outside source reference. You may hold the opinion that the
father was hoping to elicit a response, but you have presented this as
fact instead of your own opinion.

You may make the supposition that the boy was being very coy and not
forthcoming, but - for believability - you need some cite by an actual
observer of the boy's interview. Frankly, even a supporting cite will
have little impact. You are not describing misdirection that a 15
year-old boy would normally be capable of. "Not forthcoming" under
questioning is the *normal* result when questioning a 15 year-old. (I
speak from experience having raised a son and a daughter.)

Even if there was some agenda of provocation intended (Which I
seriously doubt), the school and police fell all over themselves
lunging at the bait. Provocation that is not responded to results in
no action. The school and the police were in control of the
situation, and they over-reacted.

Unless you can supply some impartial outsider's verification that
there was some agenda at work here, I'm going to consider your claims
to be nothing more than a conspiracy theory without any basis.

I suspect that citing any outsider info would not be considered as
impartial.