Please recommend a good Photo Web Site Engine

Old January 6th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Default Please recommend a good Photo Web Site Engine

Could anybody recommend a more or less acceptable engine (application,
program, platform) to create a professionally looking photo web site? I'm
pretty sure that there are many different applications generating pages,
automatically inserting thousands of images of different resolutions, maybe
even automatically rescaling images, using JS for transition effects, having
and supporting different styles, allowing the owner to add the descriptions
to the photos, gathering comments from the users, register users, etc., and
at the same time absolutely simple to let the searching machines read and
index the entire site, going through all the links and references page by
page? Does anybody have any good examples of these sites with the references
to the application created these sites?

I'm not expecting that I should write the site from scratch myself, on the
other hand it will take a very long time to write something good enough for
publishing.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Just D.

Old January 6th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Just D" wrote:

[...]

Apple's iPhoto and .Mac would work nicely for you if you use a Mac.
Old January 6th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Just D wrote:
...allowing the owner to add the descriptions
to the photos, gathering comments from the users, register users, etc.

Something like 'gallery' on sourceforge with php scripts & a mySQL
database on your server to use your own domain name or could you use
something on another domain with permissions for folders?
Old January 6th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Just D" wrote:

[...]

These features require server-side code and a database. If you can set
up MySQL and PHP, then some open source projects might do the trick.
I'm not sure what is available in commercial software. Another thing
you'll have to look for is the type server required. Some generate
static content that you periodically upload to your server. Others run
on the server to provide dynamic content.

http://gallery.menalto.com
http://coppermine-gallery.net/

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.
Old January 6th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 01:28:20 -0700, Just D wrote:

[...]

IMHO - if you want a "professionally looking photo web site" you had best
hire a professional web site developer to make you one. If you try to
produce one yourself, it will look like a home grown product.

Old January 7th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Well, I'm actually a professional software developer and I'm writing web
applications as well. So I realize how complicated and hard is to write a
good product. The question was to find something already written to avoid a
zero stage of development of my own web site. I can spend months doing that
instead of buying and improving some engine.

Thanks anyway.

Just D.

news

Old January 7th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:14:21 -0700, Just D wrote:

Well, I'm actually a professional software developer and I'm writing web
applications as well. So I realize how complicated and hard is to write a
good product. The question was to find something already written to avoid a
zero stage of development of my own web site. I can spend months doing that
instead of buying and improving some engine.

So, you're a 'professional software developer' - so what do you know about
web site DESIGN. Probably precious little - hence my recommendation.

Thanks anyway.

Just D.

news

Old January 7th 08, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
artix

Just D wrote:
[...]

Take a look at Drupal and Joomla, both are highly configurable:

http://www.joomla.org/
http://drupal.org/

List of open source CMSs: http://opensourcecms.com/

--