Does the in-camera panorama assist/stitch feature work well, or should I use PC software?

Old July 26th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default Does the in-camera panorama assist/stitch feature work well,orshould I use PC software?

Ron Baird wrote:

"John Turco" wrote in message

My Kodak V603 does the stitching, itself. I've only tried its panorama
mode, a few times, and with little success; even using a tripod, I'm
still unable to align the images, properly.

More practice is required, obviously. :-)

Hi John,

It can get tricky. Personally, I have used this camera as I gave it to my
girlfriend. I set it on a tripod and loosen the head just a bit. The tricky
part is keeping the scene within perspective so when you bring the panorama
features into play it is as close to the preset image data that is included
to help you align the shot. the tripod does a good job, but you can do OK if
you keep a good stance.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Hello, Ron:

Thanks, for your response. Actually, shortly after purchasing the
V603, I got lucky and made a successful 2-shot panorama -- and that
has hand-held, besides!

Alas, my (few) subsequent efforts have all been failures, despite
mounting the camera on a mini-tripod, in some cases.

Although, I'm pretty sure I'll get the hang of it, eventually. g

Cordially,
John Turco
Old July 27th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Hi John,

Glad to hear. Hey, if you ever need anything I can do, let me know.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old July 29th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Ron Baird wrote:

Hi John,

Glad to hear. Hey, if you ever need anything I can do, let me know.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

cut previous messages, for brevity

Hello, Ron:

Thanks! How 'bout giving me some free samples of Kodak cameras, for all
I do to promote your employer's products, here? :-P

Cordially,
John Turco
Old July 30th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Hi John,

I am sure you will. If you did it once, you can do it every time. :-) Let
me know if you need me.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old July 30th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Hey John,

I would be glad to share with you if I had any cameras. I only have access
to the new cameras coming to market and none that available. The days of
giving cameras to supporters has long gone. Kodak is so finely tuned that
such options do not exist. But, I do appreciate your interest. My offer was
more in the way of intellectual sharing. I have a lot of that. :-)

Talk to you soon, John,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old July 30th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

"John Turco" wrote in message
Ron Baird wrote:
"John Turco" wrote in message

[...]

A few things to do to get good panoramas. First, make sure your camera
settings are the same for each shot. If you are on 'Auto', you might
have problems with changing light, so a clear day is best.
Second, hold the camera dead level, then make sure you overlap each
picture about 30%. Pay attention to objects in the frame, and don't try
to get the next landmark too near the last one. Overlap is fine, gaps
are fatal.
Third, try to keep the plane of the sensor as near the same orientation
relative to the current frame as possible. There are tripod heads that
will make this easier, but I do it 'freehand'. If you would like, I
will send you a couple of my better efforts via email.

NOt an expert by any means, but I have done some pretty good ones.
Old July 31st 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:24:37 -0400, Ron Baird wrote:

I would be glad to share with you if I had any cameras. I only have access
to the new cameras coming to market and none that available. The days of
giving cameras to supporters has long gone. Kodak is so finely tuned that
such options do not exist. But, I do appreciate your interest. My offer was
more in the way of intellectual sharing. I have a lot of that. :-)

Maybe there are a couple of boxes of nearly expired 35mm film you
could send to John? As seen in another recent thread, the cassette
canisters can also be quite useful.

Old July 31st 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:07:56 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

A few things to do to get good panoramas. First, make sure your camera
settings are the same for each shot. If you are on 'Auto', you might
have problems with changing light, so a clear day is best.
Second, hold the camera dead level, then make sure you overlap each
picture about 30%. Pay attention to objects in the frame, and don't try
to get the next landmark too near the last one. Overlap is fine, gaps
are fatal.
Third, try to keep the plane of the sensor as near the same orientation
relative to the current frame as possible. There are tripod heads that
will make this easier, but I do it 'freehand'. If you would like, I
will send you a couple of my better efforts via email.

NOt an expert by any means, but I have done some pretty good ones.

You left out an important consideration, one that you should be
quite familiar with. After completing the above checklist, with
finger poised on the shutter release to take three pictures in rapid
sequence, remind yourself that you must not Stab Stab Stab

Old July 31st 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

Well, one who is experienced enough at photography to contemplate making
panos should already be past that... I hope.
Old July 31st 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 04:33:11 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

You left out an important consideration, one that you should be
quite familiar with. After completing the above checklist, with
finger poised on the shutter release to take three pictures in rapid
sequence, remind yourself that you must not Stab Stab Stab

Well, one who is experienced enough at photography to contemplate making
panos should already be past that... I hope.

Oh? I thought that surely you'd recognize such a person. She
just might want to try what she sees someone else doing.