Shadows? ? ?

Old July 5th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Default Shadows? ? ?

Greetings Ray,

Sorry to hear about the shadow issue.

This generally means that you are a shadow based on the light source. If it
is to the right or left of the lens of the camera, it will cause a shadow,
especially if the subject is near a wall or object. If the flash is above
the lens, as it is on many cameras, the shadow effect is reduced but will
still be present. You would see it when taking vertically oriented shots on
the left or right depending on how you held the camera.

Best bet is to move the subject away from walls or other nearby objects to
lessen the effect. Turn up the lights as well.

I know of no way around this effect, other than using other flashes (slaves)
or possibly reflectors. An extreme fix for a small Point and Shoot camera.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Ray" wrote in message
My first digital camera was a medium range Kodak, but I found that the
biggest problem was that when the flash was used, there was always a very
pronounced shadow against the wall. It was like a silhouette.

My next was a Canon PowerShot which did not have this problem.

My Canon is now broken, and I want to make sure I don't get the shadow
problem again when I get a new one. I guess the best bet is to stay with
Canon.

Why would one brand have this problem and another not?