Kodak P850 filter question

Old May 29th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ian Woodrow

Default Kodak P850 filter question

Hi

I've got a P850. Looking at the manual it says you need an adaptor to use
55mm filters for which it
list neutral density and polariser. The UV filter is there but does not
seem to be grouped with the
other two. the question is .... DO I need this adaptor in order to fit a UV
filter ? The information given
is NOT very explicit at all and when I look on the web page it isn't much
better. A google turns up
some bits but not what I need to know.

CAN I get a UV filter of some sort to fit the P850 without this monstrosity
of an adaptor. I saw a pic
of the adaptor and it doesn't exactly look flat. How does it work with the
lens retracted ? The MAIN
reason I want a UV filter is to protect the lens so it has to be on AT ALL
TIMES and not just when
the lens is extended.

Cheers for now

Woody, Scotland

Old May 29th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Ian Woodrow" wrote in message
[...]

Hi.

A cursory glance at a photo of the camera reveals that there is no filter
thread on the lens front.

So you will need the Adapter, which will fit on the front of the camera and
extend beyond the lens even when the lens is fully extended. It might even
act as a sort of lens cap.

I would expect that any 55 mm filter will fit onto it, unless Kodak have
been really nasty and chosen a non standard filter thread pitch, in order to
make you buy their overexpensive filters.

Roy G

Old May 29th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
KenJr

In article , roy.gibson1
@REMOVE.tesco.net says...
"Ian Woodrow" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a P850. Looking at the manual it says you need an adaptor to use
55mm filters for which it
list neutral density and polariser....CAN I get a UV filter of some sort
to fit the P850 without this monstrosity of an adaptor.

A cursory glance at a photo of the camera reveals that there is no filter
thread on the lens front.

So you will need the Adapter, which will fit on the front of the camera and
extend beyond the lens even when the lens is fully extended. It might even
act as a sort of lens cap.

I would expect that any 55 mm filter will fit onto it, unless Kodak have
been really nasty and chosen a non standard filter thread pitch, in order to
make you buy their overexpensive filters.

Yes you need the adapter tube to use filters on the P850. It is a
standard filter thread so any 55mm filter will work.

Old May 30th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 29 May 2007 16:42:15 +0100, Ian Woodrow wrote:

[...]

I have one of the adapters. It is fixed, the lens moves within it. I
easily attached my old polarizing filter. IMHO it makes a dandy lens hood
and with it attached the camera is a fixed size - which one can view as an
advantage or a disadvantage, I guess.

Old May 30th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Greetings Ian,

You are right, you do need the adapter which is a general 55mm thread size
(should accept other accessories in that size). Before you buy, and if you
are buying locally, check them out by bringing your camera with you to the
sale. You see if it fits .

Talk to you soon, Ian,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company