Kodak Z710

Old May 27th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Kodak Z710

I just received this camera (part of a kit) and purchased via Ebay.
It seems to work properly indoors but outdoors every shot is terribly
over-exposed, very washed out with lines running across the screen as
well as the picture itself when downloaded to the computer. I have
tried adjusting the shutter speed, f-stop, the lighten/darken control
etc. to no avail. The problem occurs in program as well as all other
modes including manual. I suppose the camera is defective and I'll
have to start fighting with the seller and maybe Kodak after the
weekend, but-am I missing something that might explain the problem?
Thank you for any assistance you may provide.
Doug

Old May 28th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sw2U

On 27 May 2007 10:23:50 -0700, wrote:

I just received this camera (part of a kit) and purchased via Ebay.
It seems to work properly indoors but outdoors every shot is terribly
over-exposed, very washed out with lines running across the screen as
well as the picture itself when downloaded to the computer. I have
tried adjusting the shutter speed, f-stop, the lighten/darken control
etc. to no avail. The problem occurs in program as well as all other
modes including manual. I suppose the camera is defective and I'll
have to start fighting with the seller and maybe Kodak after the
weekend, but-am I missing something that might explain the problem?
Thank you for any assistance you may provide.
Doug

Check out the camera manual regarding settings, especially those
relating to exposure control, white balance, custom settings and such.
See if there is a menu choice or some method of resetting the camera
to whatever default settings it had when brand new. If there's no
shortcut way of doing that, see if you can do it manually, going
through the menus while referring to the manual.

Then, try some outdoor exposures using the Auto exposure setting,
flash off, and see what you get.

If resetting to defaults doesn't remedy the problem I would take it up
with the seller -- depending on how the camera was represented in the
auction ad, of course. (You don't say if the camera is new, refurb or
used and whether the seller is an individual, dealer or other.)

I hope "fighting with the seller" is just your way of saying you'll
need to get back in touch and try to undo the deal. I wouldn't rush to
the judgment the seller knew all along about some fatal flaw. More
likely, he/she will be as surprised and disappointed as you are now.

I've had two eBay experiences where important information was left out
of the ad or inaccurate information was included. When these problems
were politely pointed out to the sellers, they did the right thing.
One apologized, returned my money and said keep the camera. The other
said send the camera back and he would refund my money, minus
shipping, which he did a few days later.

I hope things go equally well for you if it becomes necessary to seek
a refund.

sw2U

Old May 29th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Baird

Greetings Doug,

I suggest you get a hold of the seller and let him know that the camera he
sold you needed repair. It is not normal for a camera to perform this way.

I am also afraid that a purchase on eBay is not a warranted purchase.
Rather, an as is purchase. If it was from a legitimate Kodak dealer on eBay,
that might be different. In any event, your best bet at this point is to
confront the seller. If from an individual, he likely knew the camera was
like this.Check it out and if you think I can help you further, let me know.

800 235-6325

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

oups.com...

Old May 30th 07, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John Turco wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
wrote:
I just received this camera (part of a kit) and purchased via Ebay.
It seems to work properly indoors but outdoors every shot is terribly
over-exposed, very washed out with lines running across the screen as
well as the picture itself when downloaded to the computer. I have
tried adjusting the shutter speed, f-stop, the lighten/darken control
etc. to no avail. The problem occurs in program as well as all other
modes including manual. I suppose the camera is defective and I'll
have to start fighting with the seller and maybe Kodak after the
weekend, but-am I missing something that might explain the problem?
Thank you for any assistance you may provide.
Doug

Now you know why it was on Ebay....

Hello, Ron:

Stop being so cynical! Lots of great stuff ends up, on eBay -- and
often, at affordable prices.

I speak from over five years of eBay buying experience, by the way.
Thus, don't knock it, till you've tried it. :-P

Cordially,
John Turco

My wife has bought many items on Ebay, and my great niece furnished her
nursery from Ebay, and got great stuff, but along with the ethical
sellers, there are the other kind, and one must be very careful what he
buys there since it isn't possible to examine the merchandise prior to
paying your money.