Wanted: opinoins of Mamiya TLR lenses

Old April 29th 04, 04:54 PM
hmmph

Default Wanted: opinoins of Mamiya TLR lenses

Totally objective results wanted...

Say Zeiss lenses are 10s, Mamiya SLR lenses are 8 and 9s, and Holgas are 2s,
where would you place the TLR line from Mamiya?

More interested in contrast and sharpness, since 95 per cent of stuff I
shoot is B&W. Are they about the same quality as the cheaper Japanese SLRs
(Kowa)?

TIA,
hmpph

Old April 29th 04, 11:57 PM
Sofjan

Speaking from my own experience

55mm Good lens . Flare like crazy if you let direct sunlight hit it.
80mm Good lens
105 D or Ds Great lens. Rival the new lenses from other
manufacture.
180mmSuper Good lens, But start to get heavy.
All the black series.

at the same time i use Contax with 28mm f2.8 distagon, 50mm f1.4 , 135mm f2
planar.
Maxxum system and Contax G2 with 21mm Biogon, 28mm,45mm, 90mm

All the new Contax and Minolta are sharper and contrastier. But with Mamiya
TLR, Pictures comes out better because of the better tonality . it is as if the
picture are creamier and smoother. But this is just because of medium format
negative.
The best of Mamiya TLR lens is probably the 105mm DS or D
My engagement pictures was taken with the Mamiya TLR and my Wedding pictures a
year later was taken with Bronica Etrs .
Most people couldn't tell the difference.

I switched to Bronica Etrs with a 40mm MC, 80mm MC and a 150mm MC .
Picture quality improved somewhat but not by much.

IMHO Go for it if you like TLR. You will enjoy the Mamiya TLR system. I did :^)

Btw check this out
http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...-contents.html

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=0005l3

Hope this help.
Sofjan Mustopoh

Old April 30th 04, 12:30 AM
Tim Daneliuk

hmmph wrote:

Totally objective results wanted...

Say Zeiss lenses are 10s, Mamiya SLR lenses are 8 and 9s, and Holgas are 2s,
where would you place the TLR line from Mamiya?

More interested in contrast and sharpness, since 95 per cent of stuff I
shoot is B&W. Are they about the same quality as the cheaper Japanese SLRs
(Kowa)?

TIA,
hmpph

It depends on which generation of TLR lenses. There were 3 or 4
iterations of these, the oldest being the chrome ones, the newest being
the black ones.

The older ones can be a bit soft and tend to be flarey - you HAVE to use
a lens shade on them and stop down a bit to get best performance.
However, for some things like portraits, these old chrome lenses (like
the 105mm) are just perfect. You want a portrait to be a bit soft to
take the edge off any skin/facial imperfections of the subject. So, the
old chrome lenses do still have a place. Note that parts are mostly not
available for the older lenses, though a local repair person can usually
keep them running pretty well.

The newest black TLR lenses are tack sharp and contrasty as a general
matter. So if a Zeiss is a 10: Mamiya SLR/RF lenses are mostly 9+ -
there is not all that much difference (I have shot extensively with a
Hasselblad as well as the M7, and to a lesser degree with the old
original 645. The original 645 lenses were 7-8s but the new ones are
consistently rated quite highly, though I've not shot with those.) I'd
put the newer TLR lenses at about an 8. There is some difference between
them and a primo Zeiss Planar or Sonnar, but you have to blow up the
image pretty big and look hard to see it.

Mamiya TLRs remain one of my favorite way to introduce people to MF and
"serious" photography. A 30+ year old C2/22/3/330 with an OK lens,
properly used, blows the doors off even the very best Leica or Nikon for
sharpness and final image quality. There Ain't No Substitute For
Negative Square Inches...

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Old April 30th 04, 06:24 PM
Rod

On 29 Apr 2004 19:30:08 EDT, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

It depends on which generation of TLR lenses. There were 3 or 4
iterations of these, the oldest being the chrome ones, the newest being
the black ones.

The older ones can be a bit soft and tend to be flarey - you HAVE to use
a lens shade on them and stop down a bit to get best performance.

The chrome 105 is my favourite lens of all my Nikon, Mamiya KL and TLR
lenses. Yes you do have to watch for flare with the TLR lenses and yes
the 105 is best around f8 but that's where it gets used most with me
anyway. Landscapes and flower/plant portraits with those TLR lenses
are the best I've made (Started with Velvia but now use Provia 100F.)
Colours and tones smooth and correct, sharpness and contrast all
anyone could wish for. If I crop one of my 6x7s down to 6x6 I
certainly can't pick it from amongst the images from the old TLR.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old May 1st 04, 01:46 AM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/mamiyatlrlens.html for lens resolution and
related comments. As noted, these lenses were made over a long period of
time, and various versions and improvements were made over time.

my own experiences with over a dozen MF systems has been surprise at how
closely the various pro optics perform in real world shooting at optimal
apertures (some variation perhaps wide open with faster lenses, but by f/8
or f/11 most pro MF lenses are doing very well indeed). A better lens
shade is often more impact than switching brands ;-)

in short, I would pick a pro MF system based on factors other than lens
quality (which will likely be very similar and more than good enough) such
as ergonomics or cost or specific features or accessories.

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *