Nikon living on borrowed time?

Old August 2nd 17, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

Default Nikon living on borrowed time?

On 2/08/2017 2:06 @wiz, RichA wrote:
Canon just reported strong sales, mirrorless up considerably, Sony
just reported strong profits, camera division (mirrorless) included.
Meanwhile, Nikon offers that it's "working on" some kind of hybrid, a
new D750. But it's still a DSLR and you can't keep producing a
camera that costs twice (lets face it, is has to) as much as the
mirrorless competition and expect to keep going.

Ah well, once again it's proven that companies who stuff up their long
time customers, get dumped big time.
Nothing new there, they just still hadn't seen it applied to them.
Good luck to Nikon and the poor sods who bought their products, me included.
Old August 2nd 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 02/08/2017 10:54, Noons wrote:
[] Ah well, once again it's proven that companies who stuff up their long
time customers, get dumped big time.
Nothing new there, they just still hadn't seen it applied to them.
Good luck to Nikon and the poor sods who bought their products, me
included.

Has your camera equipment stopped working? Are the accessories no
longer available? Repairs not possible? I just checked out a D60 I
bought many years back and it's working fine.

On the other hand, as I was unable to buy a Nikon MFT camera when I
wanted to downsize I was unable to buy Nikon, so my subsequent purchases
have produced income for Panasonic and Olympus. It was with slight
regret that I changed brand, but I've been delighted with the outcome!

--
Cheers,
David
Old August 2nd 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 2, 2017, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 02/08/2017 10:54, Noons wrote:
[] Ah well, once again it's proven that companies who stuff up their long
time customers, get dumped big time.
Nothing new there, they just still hadn't seen it applied to them.
Good luck to Nikon and the poor sods who bought their products, me
included.

Has your camera equipment stopped working? Are the accessories no
longer available? Repairs not possible? I just checked out a D60 I
bought many years back and it's working fine.

To support that part of your argument my Nikon D70 and D300S still work just
fine, as do my Yashica Electro 35, and my Pentax K1000.

On the other hand, as I was unable to buy a Nikon MFT camera when I
wanted to downsize I was unable to buy Nikon, so my subsequent purchases
have produced income for Panasonic and Olympus. It was with slight
regret that I changed brand, but I've been delighted with the outcome!

Nikon let me down when their focus was on FF for Pro and Prosumer level
cameras, and it looked as though there would never be successor to the D300S
when it appeared to be abandonded in a sensor development wasteland. I waited
for three years for Nikon to release a D300S successor I was ripe to buy.
That failure pushed me into looking for APS-C alternative, and into the
Fujifilm camp. Eight months after I bought into the Fujifilm X-Series Nikon
released a camera I would have bought, the D500, but for me they were too
late. Like you, I regret that I made the move, and the D500 is a great
camera, but now that I have experienced all the X-E2 and the X-T2 have to
offer, I am not likely to return to Nikon. Shooting the X-T2 has revived much
of what I used to enjoy about photography 40 years ago. Today if given the
cash to buy a D500, I would probably buy a new Fujicon lens or a new Fujifilm
X body.

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 17, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/2/2017 10:59 AM, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

I was not anxious to switch, and I don't regret waiting for the D500.
When I get to the point of not being able to carry the camera, I will
see what's around.

--
PeterN
Old August 3rd 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
I was not anxious to switch, and I don't regret waiting for the D500.
When I get to the point of not being able to carry the camera, I will
see what's around.

I don't get it at all. I happen to be a Canon user because the
ergonomics suit me and I like the lenses. But if, for some strange
reason, I had to give up my Canons tomorrow I could be comfortable with
Nikon or Sony or Fuji or who-knows-what. A look through Flickr will
show great photos from a wide variety of camera brands. I still pull
out my old Nikon D100 from time to time because of the great old 60mm
Micro Nikkor. And don't get me started on my two F3's, arguably the
best film SLR ever made. So all the fuss over this brand and that brand
is entirely lost on me.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 3rd 17, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 3, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

The D300 was released in 2007, the D300S was released in 2009. That was two
years, and most D300S users were anticipating a D300S replacement sometime
around 2011-2012. Instead Nikon released a bunch of DX cameras which could
not be considered prosumer cameras, but had newer, superior sensors to the
D300/D300S. The big marketing push was towards the Nikon FF DSLRs, and it was
even hinted that the Pro/Prosumer Nikon APS-C DSLRs were to be abandoned. I
guess the hope was for D300(S) users to upgrade to an FF DSLR. Then in
January 2016 the D500 was announced, and it was everything the D500 users
were begging for and more. Unfortunately for many of us it was too late.

You were looking for something better than the D300 long enough for you to go
to a Nikon FF. Then you bought the D500 six months after it was released.
Personally, if they had even anounced the D500 in April 2015, I would have
held off on my X-E2 purchase and I would probably be shooting a D500 today.
However, I made my move to Fujifilm in April 2015, and I couldn’t be
happier.

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 17, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 03 Aug 2017 13:49:42 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Aug 3, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

It was in 2011 that Nikon's plant in Thailand was severely flooded. I
have always wondered what effect that flood had on their manufacturing
plans. I know that it has knocked a large hole in their balance sheet,
both directly and indirectly.

Old August 4th 17, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/3/2017 4:19 PM, Davoud wrote:
PeterN:
I was not anxious to switch, and I don't regret waiting for the D500.
When I get to the point of not being able to carry the camera, I will
see what's around.

I don't get it at all. I happen to be a Canon user because the
ergonomics suit me and I like the lenses. But if, for some strange
reason, I had to give up my Canons tomorrow I could be comfortable with
Nikon or Sony or Fuji or who-knows-what. A look through Flickr will
show great photos from a wide variety of camera brands. I still pull
out my old Nikon D100 from time to time because of the great old 60mm
Micro Nikkor. And don't get me started on my two F3's, arguably the
best film SLR ever made. So all the fuss over this brand and that brand
is entirely lost on me.

They are all good cameras. My F3 was, and still is superb. My main
reason for using Nikon digital, is that I have a lot of old glass, that
works. Some have switched because mirrorless bodies are lighter.

--
PeterN
Old August 4th 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 8/3/2017 4:49 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 3, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Actually I was thinking about going FF for quite a while, because I like
to do wide angle work. When the D800 came out, it suited my needs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l094jjdayt7jn1/bridge_dumbo%20at%20dawn_6423.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old August 4th 17, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
Actually I was thinking about going FF for quite a while, because I like
to do wide angle work. When the D800 came out, it suited my needs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2l094jjdayt7jn1/bridge_dumbo%20at%20dawn_6423.jpg?dl=0

Yes, very nice, but what is that gray blurry bit in the middle of the
bridge?