Nikon D7000 is made in China, CHINA!!!

Old December 21st 10, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Nikon D7000 is made in China, CHINA!!!

On 2010-12-20 18:16:12 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:40:25 -0800, Savageduck

On 2010-12-20 13:40:46 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
Le Snip

A Vincent Black Lightning for me.

Eric Stevens

Now there was a case of 1930's tech taken to its limits. The Vincent BL
was an amazing machine, but even though it had that powerful motor, it
was a 1930's bike (Vincent's 1936 Brough Superior beater) trying to
survive into the fifties and it failed early. The frame, forks, and
suspension were not a good match for the motor, and were obsolete in
1948. Undoubtably a work of art, but the record breaking bikes of the
1948 and early fifties were all custom frame bikes with custom forks.

Not so. I worked with Bob Burns and Russel Wright on Russel's record
breaking Vincent. It was standard forks and frame. The connecting rods
were ex the Vincent Picador engine designed for drone aircraft, and
were worth another 1000rpm. Both cylinders were fitted with ported
rear cylinder heads which gave a better air flow. The gear box was the
standard Vincent close-ratio box. The clutch may have been modified,
but I can't remember.The fuel tank was a special. The oil tank was the
main frame member as in the standard bike.

OK! Not that I doubt you in anyway, but just which "record breaking
Vincent" was that? ...and when was it you did this work?

Not the Rollie Free 1948 bike, which was the well publicized record
breaker. Certainly not the 1949/50 Reg Dearden bike which never
actually made a run.
Then there is the Joe Simpson Supercharged which held the American MC
speed record twice. (that is currently at the Solvang Vintage
Motorcycle Museum in California)

....and I hope I am not aging you too much, but just how old are you?

They had to be.
They are nostalgically desirable, and have great collector value today
due to limited numbers, but even in the mid-'50's there were better
bikes such as the 1955 Matchless G45. Maybe not as powerful but much
better.

Eric Stevens

Savageduck

Old December 21st 10, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:05:31 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:25:31 -0500, peter
wrote:

That was the real problem. The British motorcycle industry was stuck
with what were basically pre-war designs because they were stuck with
pre-war machine tools and manufacturing methods. To some extent the
continuance of obsolete designs could be blamed on the government of
the time which would not allow new models to be introduced until after
1949.

How do you explain the mechanical issues with the Jag. I know about 10
people who had them and all have had mechanical issues. The car was
great when it ran, but IIRC required frequent servicing.

Of course that was another problem. Then, the Roots group (Humber,
Hillman) couldn't control cylinder bore diameter to better than .010"
so that when choosing pistons, all engines had to be selectively
assembled. Ford had similar problems when machining blocks for
crankshaft bearings. Those, too, had to be selectively assembled and
bearing shells had a 'fit' code which had to match the housing in the
block and the cap (often different). Rover decided to take advantage
of generous tolerances to use Loctite to secure cylinder liners in
place. But they couldn't machine all blocks/liners sufficiently
accurately and liners used to move in the block. On occasion a liner
would drop to the point where the top ring on the piston would snap
out over the top. Things stopped rather suddenly once that happened.

These days I shudder when the British talk of British Craftsmanship.
I'll take Japanese craftmanship any time.

Everyone looks good compared to the reliability of Lucas electrical
components.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 21st 10, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I was wondering when Lucas electrical components would raise their ugly
head with regard to the British automotive industry of the 50's & 60's.
Some of their gauges weren't too bad. Those which needed a sender unit
were best replaced with Smiths gauges.

When it came to coils and fuel pumps, especially in many Jags where
there were two of those Lucas tickers, it was just a matter of sitting
back and enduring the eccentricity, replacing as the need materialized.
The only time a Lucas component has worked for me, was when the
mechanical, cam driven fuel pump on my mother's FIAT 2300 failed, and I
put a Lucas electrical fuel pump (meant for a Jag, and the only one
available) in line, and it worked without fault for many years. It was
just disconcerting to hear that ticking coming from a FIAT.

Savageduck

Old December 21st 10, 11:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

You never owned an Italian motorcycle?

Eric Stevens
Old December 21st 10, 11:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

It's a bomb?

Eric Stevens
Old December 21st 10, 11:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2010-12-20 13:40:46 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
Le Snip

[...]

Garn - you do doubt me, and why not? Several generations ago I was an
engineering student at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch
New Zealand. I was a regular participant in the flying mile events
held on the long flat 'Tram Road' on the outskirts of Christchurch. I
had my 500 Triumph up to 102 mph fairly early in the pice which was
much faster than most of the other road bikes at the time (I
eventually got to 118 mph, but that's another story). Russel Wright
and Bob Burns were running Russel's Vincent there and I became good
fiends with Bob Burns. They set a record of 186 mph on the Tram Road
and later took the bike to Bonneville where they ran it at 198 mph.
Unfortunately about two weeks previously NSU had taken the 'Flying
Deckchair' to Bonneville and set a new record of (I think) 202 mph.
Bob's explanation of why they didn't go faster is that they were just
learning about Nitro fuel and didn't have the courage to tip the jug
over far enough.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=73122 has a number
of pictures of the bike as I remember it except that the rear
suspension units have been replaced by solid struts. I don't know when
that was done. The front brakes have also gone.

Not the Rollie Free 1948 bike, which was the well publicized record
breaker. Certainly not the 1949/50 Reg Dearden bike which never
actually made a run.
Then there is the Joe Simpson Supercharged which held the American MC
speed record twice. (that is currently at the Solvang Vintage
Motorcycle Museum in California)

...and I hope I am not aging you too much, but just how old are you?

Give me four weeks and I shall be 77.

Old December 21st 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-12-20 13:40:46 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
Le Snip

[...]

Aah! 1955! Actually 184.83 MPH I see. The NSU World Record run in 1956
was 211.4 MPH.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=73122 has a number
of pictures of the bike as I remember it except that the rear
suspension units have been replaced by solid struts. I don't know when
that was done. The front brakes have also gone.

In that case this Kiwi immigrant to California should interest you;

http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Munro-5825w.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Munro-5920w.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Munro-5947w.jpg

That is Bert Munro's record breaking alcohol fueled 1920 Indian Scout.
In 1967 he set the record for streamlined/alcohol 1000cc class, at
183.586 MPH with a one way run of 190.7 MPH. Not quite the machine
movie goers saw Anthony Hopkins riding!

Not the Rollie Free 1948 bike, which was the well publicized record
breaker. Certainly not the 1949/50 Reg Dearden bike which never
actually made a run.
Then there is the Joe Simpson Supercharged which held the American MC
speed record twice. (that is currently at the Solvang Vintage
Motorcycle Museum in California)

...and I hope I am not aging you too much, but just how old are you?

Give me four weeks and I shall be 77.

Well there you have me by 15 years.

Savageduck

Old December 21st 10, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

Two Moto Guzzis in the family. Maybe three if those cartons contain a
complete Ambassador. The Eldorado doesn't run, but my son's Jackal is
still ridden.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old December 21st 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Happy Oyster

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:25:54 -0600, Rich wrote:

I guess Nikon have given up trying to keep production out of the land of
Mao?

Japan is a high-cost production country. So. long ago, they went to cheaper
countries and let their ware be produced there.

And the Red-hina-Men are corrupt as can be. The mighty still rule like the
ancient cesars. They only wear other cloths.

--
Krebsforum Lazarus
Das Forum für alternative Krebstherapie

http://www.krebsforum-lazarus.ch
Old December 21st 10, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-12-21 09:58:20 -0800, Happy Oyster said:

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:25:54 -0600, Rich wrote:

I guess Nikon have given up trying to keep production out of the land of
Mao?

Japan is a high-cost production country. So. long ago, they went to cheaper
countries and let their ware be produced there.

And the Red-hina-Men are corrupt as can be. The mighty still rule like the
ancient cesars. They only wear other cloths.

Are you a snow bound Euro-Rich?

Savageduck