If film isn't dead, why are so many people selling their film cameras now?

Old January 17th 04, 05:05 AM
td

Default If film isn't dead, why are so many people selling their film cameras now?

As the header says,

Is film dead? If it survives, what form do you think it will take?

Personally, I think that far less expensive digital backs will become
available for all the Hasselblad owners, Linhof owners and owners of
cameras with a grafloc back. Otherwise, it will be death to the 35mm
camera, except possibly for high end transparency film.

Thoughts?
Old January 18th 04, 06:33 AM
LuvAntique

Probably, eventually, there will be an end to film as we know it, but don't
expect it soon. Kodak says it will shortly cease production of film cameras
(but not, you will notice, the film itself). There are still too many people
(myself included) who prefer wet processes to digital (and large format to
small or medium), so if it comes down to it and film disappears, I'll go back
to wet collodion as a medium and make my own. Digital's great for instant
happy snaps, insurance adjustors, and the artsy-fartsy crowd, but I have no use
for it for serious photography. As for your camera observations, I see no
great difference in the number of people selling and buying film cameras. I
still sell film cameras as easily as I always have, which means people are
still buying them. I think you might be jumping the gun a little on
everything.

Michael Cleveland
Michael Cleveland
Past Reflections
A Collection of Historical Photographica
Old January 27th 04, 05:30 PM
George

The latest issue of Shutterbug has mentioned that Kodak has brought back a
new and improved Tri-X B&W film in 35mm for the US market.

Old January 28th 04, 12:51 AM
mark

"LuvAntique" wrote in message
Probably, eventually, there will be an end to film as we know it, but

don't expect it soon. Kodak says it will shortly cease production of

film
cameras (but not, you will notice, the film itself).

The announcement from Kodak was that they would stop making non-disposable
film cameras.
Big News. Can anyone name a Kodak Film Camera? Can anyone name the last
time that Kodak made a film camera period?

Old January 29th 04, 02:24 PM
George

Threadwise you responded to someone else's statement by replying to my
message and clipping out my response...kinda makes things confusing for
people who weren't following the entire thread. But, Kodak getting out of
non-disposable film cameras is no big deal (the last model I can think of by
name is the "Instamatic"). Someone was just predicting the demise of film
and I merely mentioned a new (old) film back from Kodak...