Less expensive DSLR's, Nikon or Canon

Old March 15th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Less expensive DSLR's, Nikon or Canon

"Rebel XT ($750 Rebel XT body, plus $500 EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
LENS). $1250 "

if you are loaded or doing weddings then spend $500 for 17-85mm;
if you are not a pro, go with the Lumix FZ-30 8mp, 420mm for $550.

Old March 15th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

bmoag wrote:
Nikon kit lens better than Canon kit lens by far.
Cameras about equal.

Interesting view. I found that the Canon kit lens looked and felt very
cheap, but it performs quite well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old March 15th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Not the D50 18-55 kit lens and also the non USM Canon 350D 18-55 kit
lens.
Both are quite bad.

et...

Old March 15th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Jack wrote:

I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder
if the Canon Rebel XT is better.

The Pentax DS2 is cheap and better (has a bright true pentaprism finder,
unlike the dim D50 peephole); the low-end Pentax DL is cheaper and just as
good (has a less-desirable pentamirror finder like the low-end Nikon and
Canon models).

Pentax DSLRs are underrated thanks to little advertising, but are wonderful
values and great to use. My Rebel XT broke after only one day... replaced
it with a Pentax DS which is far better :^)
Old March 15th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bolshoy Huy wrote:
"Rebel XT ($750 Rebel XT body, plus $500 EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM
LENS). $1250 "

if you are loaded or doing weddings then spend $500 for 17-85mm;
if you are not a pro, go with the Lumix FZ-30 8mp, 420mm for $550.

This camera looks great in the specs, but the noise levels are intolerable.

Old March 15th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

bmoag wrote:
Nikon kit lens better than Canon kit lens by far.

The Nikon D50 18-55 kit lens, and the Canon Rebel XT 18-55 kit lens, are
about equal, but actually the Canon is a bit better.

You may be confusing the kit lenses. On the D70s, the kit lens is the
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED, which is indeed much better than the 18-55.

Cameras about equal.

In fact, the XT is a much better camera than the D50, and about equal to
the D70s. Canon has no entry level D-SLR like the Nikon D50 yet.
Old March 15th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"SMS" wrote in message
bmoag wrote:
Nikon kit lens better than Canon kit lens by far.

The Nikon D50 18-55 kit lens, and the Canon Rebel XT 18-55 kit lens, are
about equal, but actually the Canon is a bit better.

You may be confusing the kit lenses. On the D70s, the kit lens is the
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED, which is indeed much better than the 18-55.

Cameras about equal.

In fact, the XT is a much better camera than the D50, and about equal to
the D70s. Canon has no entry level D-SLR like the Nikon D50 yet.

Defin, much better? Personally I really hate the ergonomics of the 350D,
most others I could live with.

Old March 15th 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Charles Gillen wrote:
Jack wrote:

I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder
if the Canon Rebel XT is better.

The Pentax DS2 is cheap and better (has a bright true pentaprism finder,
unlike the dim D50 peephole); the low-end Pentax DL is cheaper and just as
good (has a less-desirable pentamirror finder like the low-end Nikon and
Canon models).

Pentax DSLRs are underrated thanks to little advertising, but are wonderful
values and great to use. My Rebel XT broke after only one day... replaced
it with a Pentax DS which is far better :^)

Good point. Buy a Pentax and help keep them going. It'd be a shame if
the choice was limited to only Canon and Nikon. ;-)
Old March 15th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , Jack
wrote:

I looked at the Nikon D50 with it's kit lens and liked it, but I wonder if
the Canon Rebel XT is better. The prices are about the same. The Nikon is
a 6MP while the Canon is 8, but the results look about the same. What do
you people think? Nikon or Canon?

Can't go wrong with either - and I say that as a Nikon user since the
70's. One point - would your budget stretch another couple of hundred
dollars? I think the move from a D50 to a D70 is well worth while, if
only for the better kit lens, and CF instead of SD storage cards.

Or as my father used to say: "Always buy middle of the line. The
cheapest model is stripped to meet a price point, and the most
expensive is loaded with useless junk."
Old March 15th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Scott Schuckert writes:
Or as my father used to say: "Always buy middle of the line. The
cheapest model is stripped to meet a price point, and the most
expensive is loaded with useless junk."

I always liked "fly first class if you can, third class if you must,
but never fly second class".