FZ-30's extended zoom

Old March 26th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default FZ-30's extended zoom

Lumix FZ-30 35 - 420mm [12x] (+extended optical zoom)
What would tip the balance in favor of the FZ-30 over the Fuji S9000
or the KM Dimage A200 for me would be the quality of the pics taken
using the EOZ.
Does anyone have pics taken using the extended optical zoom at 5mp?
What about prints?
Is this just a marketing gimmick, digital zoom one way or another?
Would using less pixels with a bigger zoom produce lower res pics?

Would using 2mp with a 3x zoom on a 4mp P&S produce a bigger zoom (6x)?

Are there other cameras which when reducing the res creates a bigger
zoom?

The FZ-30 has a small sensor [1/1.8" Type CCD = 0.55],
only slightly larger than 4mp P&S cameras.
S9000 sensor: 1/1.6" SuperCCD HR = 0.625
KM Dimage A200 - 2/3 inch interlaced primary-color CCD = 0.66

Old March 26th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Don't know about the KM, but both the Fuji and Pana are true optical zooms
lenses not digital zoom. I have the Pana FZ20 and it takes fine images at
the extended end of the range. I have printed a few 5x7s and 8x10s with
nice results.

Doug

oups.com...

Old March 26th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Doug wrote:
Don't know about the KM, but both the Fuji and Pana are true optical
zooms lenses not digital zoom. I have the Pana FZ20 and it takes
fine images at the extended end of the range. I have printed a few
5x7s and 8x10s with nice results.

hm...i'd say it's weird...can you explain this "extended" zoom ? If it's
optical, it would state, say, 16x optical instead of 12x. It's probably just
digital zoom, that's why it makes pics with less pixels - you can do this in
your PC with any graphics program.
Just true optical zoom counts. I can make decent shots with my digital zoom
up to certain limit, say 12x optical and extend it to som 16x, maybe 20x
zoom - it won't show that zoom is digital, but it is.

--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

Old March 26th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"SleeperMan" wrote in message
Doug wrote:
Don't know about the KM, but both the Fuji and Pana are true optical
zooms lenses not digital zoom. I have the Pana FZ20 and it takes
fine images at the extended end of the range. I have printed a few
5x7s and 8x10s with nice results.

hm...i'd say it's weird...can you explain this "extended" zoom ? If it's
optical, it would state, say, 16x optical instead of 12x. It's probably
just digital zoom, that's why it makes pics with less pixels - you can do
this in your PC with any graphics program.
Just true optical zoom counts. I can make decent shots with my digital
zoom up to certain limit, say 12x optical and extend it to som 16x, maybe
20x zoom - it won't show that zoom is digital, but it is.

Doug

Optical Zoom is 12x, the 'extended optical zoom' is basically in camera
cropping - if you set the resolution lower than default (say to 5mp) then
the camera still actually uses the full ccd resolution but shows an enlarged
central portion giving the appearance of a higher zoom.... unless you want
lower res then its just the same to take a pic at full resolution 12x zoom
and crop out the part you want.

Old March 26th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The FZ-30 lens is faster, it has image stabilization,and is less
expensive. The image quality of both is marginally better than an
FZ-20. All will take super pictures in good light.

IMO more megapixels are not the answer unless you couple it with a huge
sensor like the Nikon D50.

If cost is not an issue buy a Nikon D50 body and the 18-200mm VR. You
can get the combo for less than you can buy a D200 body and you will
have all you will ever use.

Other than that, buy a FZ20 or FZ30 if you want almost DSLR quality.

Old March 26th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The FZ30 extended zoom is a digital zoom with a twist. If you select the 5M
output, the 35mm setting gives the same width as when using the full 8M
setting, but outputs only a 5M pixel file. As you zoom to the 420mm setting,
you get a combination of optical and digital zooming that end up about 535mm
equivilent. I keep mine set to 8M and crop to get the same effect as a
digital zoom. The only advantage I see for digital zoom is to reduce the
file size on the memory card.

The FZ30 also has a digital zoom mode that just uses the center portion of
the sensor, with either 2X or 4X. Selecting 2X gives something like 70mm to
840mm with a 2M pixel output. The zoom range is still the 12X, not 24X.
Actually, I have not used this mode, and the camera may output more than a
2M file with some interpolation to give an appearance of more pixels. I find
no reason to ever use this mode.

"Bolshoy Huy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lumix FZ-30 35 - 420mm [12x] (+extended optical zoom)
What would tip the balance in favor of the FZ-30 over the Fuji S9000
or the KM Dimage A200 for me would be the quality of the pics taken
using the EOZ.
Does anyone have pics taken using the extended optical zoom at 5mp?
What about prints?

Prints with the extended zoom set to produce 5M files would be the same as
using any other 5M camera. 8X10 prints should be excellent. In good light,
the Panasonic optics give photos that are limited by the sensor. Cropping 8M
files to 5M size also give excellent prints.

Old March 26th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"Bolshoy Huy" wrote:

Lumix FZ-30 35 - 420mm [12x] (+extended optical zoom)
What would tip the balance in favor of the FZ-30 over the Fuji S9000
or the KM Dimage A200 for me would be the quality of the pics taken
using the EOZ.
Does anyone have pics taken using the extended optical zoom at 5mp?
What about prints?
Is this just a marketing gimmick, digital zoom one way or another?
Would using less pixels with a bigger zoom produce lower res pics?

Would using 2mp with a 3x zoom on a 4mp P&S produce a bigger zoom (6x)?

Are there other cameras which when reducing the res creates a bigger
zoom?

The FZ-30 has a small sensor [1/1.8" Type CCD = 0.55],
only slightly larger than 4mp P&S cameras.
S9000 sensor: 1/1.6" SuperCCD HR = 0.625
KM Dimage A200 - 2/3 inch interlaced primary-color CCD = 0.66

The FZ30 also has a teleconverter available that pushes the optical zoom
out over 700mm.

I have an FZ10 and recently purchased an adapter from Premaraal for my
Oly E-20's TCON 14 teleconverter that gives me an optical of over 600mm.
It doesn't give the print quality of a Nikon D200, but it costs a whole
bunch less and is more than adequate for bird and small critter
photography.

My next step will probably be to an FZ30 or its successor.