I hesitate to ask... Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D50

Old December 28th 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default I hesitate to ask... Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D50

Hi!

While I've pretty much made up my mind on which camera to go with, and
I've read pages upon pages on the internet, I still have niggling doubts.

One difference between the two that I have read about is how the images
with the Canon Rebel XT tend to be softer than those with the Nikon D50.
Excuse the newbie question here, but isn't that a matter of the lens
rather than the camera itself?

While the Canon Rebel XT has more features that I want, the Nikon D50
felt so good in my hands. I couldn't believe the feel alone would sway
me so much! It wasn't that the Rebel felt bad, but when compared side by
side with the D50, I liked the solid feel of the Nikon much better.

Other differences that swayed me...I found both in commentaries and in
image comparisons that the Canon had a truer colour representation than
the Nikon; the Canon has a mirror lock-up; the Nikon has a spot meter;
the Nikon ISO starts at 200, whereas the Canon starts at 100; and
lastly, there is that difference in MP and accompanying software
packages although these last two are not as critical for me as other
features - desirable yes, but not a deal-breaker.

I would especially appreciate hearing from anyone with experience using
both cameras, although I would like opinions from users of each camera
as to why they love (or hate) their particular choice.

In the end I know the key things are personal likes and dislikes along
with the user's abilities, but I guess I'm hoping for one statement that
will help me make a definitive choice. I know I found that one statement
when I was trying to determine if I should go for a slightly higher end
choice (Canon 20D vs. Nikon D70) or a more affordable choice (Canon
Rebel XT vs. Nikon D50).

Thanks to all with helpful responses!

Deb
Old December 28th 05, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Moi" wrote in message
[...]

Deb - the Nikon is the better camera - better build, better quality for your
money. With respect the softness of the images you'll find that most DSLRs
will produce JPEG images softer than you'll be used to if you've used a
consumer digicam. You can sharpen your images in quite sophisticated ways
using Photoshop (lab sharpening is the best but it's a bit fiddly to do).

Old December 28th 05, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Each camera manufacturer also decides on the default level of softness
for its images. This can usually be adjusted via camera menu as well as
with imaging software.

I'm curious as to what that "one statement" was that made you decide on
the XT/D50 rather than the 20D/D70.

Old December 29th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article qZEsf.5714$Ff6.5386@trnddc01,
Moi wrote:

In the end I know the key things are personal likes and dislikes along
with the user's abilities, but I guess I'm hoping for one statement that
will help me make a definitive choice. I know I found that one statement
when I was trying to determine if I should go for a slightly higher end
choice (Canon 20D vs. Nikon D70) or a more affordable choice (Canon
Rebel XT vs. Nikon D50).

When I was looking recently, it seemed that about 80% of the price
difference between the D50 and the D70s could be explained by the better
kit lens on the D70s.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Old December 29th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

If you have no expensive collection of Nikon glass, get the 350D. It offers
more for less. If you need a camera that is better built, get the 20D or the
D200. - What will be the next Canon, I wonder?

Gregor

Old December 29th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"GTO" wrote in message
om...
If you have no expensive collection of Nikon glass, get the 350D. It
offers more for less. If you need a camera that is better built, get the
20D or the D200. - What will be the next Canon, I wonder?

How does the Rebel XT offer more for less? The 2MP advantage in the sensor
is not as big a difference as some would think. The D50 is better built and
costs less.

Old December 29th 05, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

The 350D supports better auto-focus, has a professional MLU and offers a
battery grip for folks who want to shoot long sequences without the fear of
running out of gas. The 350D has support for DSLR type memory cards (compact
flash). (SD cards are for point&shoot digicams.) Last but not least, the
350D supports very low noise at ISO 100. The D50 does not. Today, the 350D
is the best low-cost DSLR you can get.

Gregor

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote in message
om...

Old December 29th 05, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Moi" wrote in message
[...]

Buy the camera that you like. Your questions are pointless. You have made up
your mind. Sure, the XT has more capabilities, but if you like the feel of
the Nikon, pull your wallet/purse out.

Old December 29th 05, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Moi wrote:
| Hi!
|
| While I've pretty much made up my mind on which camera to go with, and
| I've read pages upon pages on the internet, I still have niggling
doubts.
| While the Canon Rebel XT has more features that I want, the Nikon D50
felt
| so good in my hands.
| Thanks to all with helpful responses!
|
| Deb

Of all your thoughts posted the line that stood out for me was 'While
the Canon Rebel Xt has more features that I want, the Nikon D50 felt so
good in my hands'
If you are going to be using the camera frequently then each and every
time will the observation come into your conscious thought as to how it
feels? Previous to the Rebel Xt I picked up the model 300 and
immediately the feel in my hands was not right and I put the camera
down, walked away. I really wanted to get that range of camera. A year
later the Rebel Xt came out and the moment I held it, the thing 'FIT'
into my hands and it has been a fit ever since.
So if the Nikon D50 felt like part of your hands then it will be used in
an unconscious manner and you will likely use it up to its maximum.
Fumbling around with a cumbersome object in your hand may forecast a
'dust collector'.
Rose

Old December 29th 05, 05:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Minolta 5D: Anti-Shake
Pentax DS: TTL Flash
Nikon D50: 1/500s X Sync
Canon 350D: 8MP