D80 Histogram

Old June 18th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Angus Manwaring

Default D80 Histogram

I'm pretty sure this is not possible but with regard to the Histograms
displayed by the D80, is there a way to view just the single luminance
histogram I see on a D1X or D2X, rather than the red, green, blue and
brightness. I'm sure some people could live without it, but its overkill
for me, and I'd prefer the larger display this would make possible.

All the best,
Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga
Game reviews by Amiga players http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/AGDB.html

Old June 18th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
it hurts

Off-topic curmudgeon response:
Unless you are shooting a studio lit scene with controlled lighting values I
fail to understand what the in-camera histogram does for you.
If you are shooting live with ambient light it is what it is and the tails
of the histogram don't tell a meaningful story.
For example it has been my sad experience that neither the histogram nor
reviewing the image on the LCD (even the latest and greatest are too small
to accurately judge color, shadow/highlight detail and even critical focus)
will tell you if you have managed to hold onto adequate details in the
highlights. So unless you can control the lighting, a la studio work, you
still have to bracket and hope for the best, worse for you if you rely on
jpegs.

Old June 18th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

it hurts wrote:
Angus Manwaring wrote:
[...]

Really, it does help and my D200 will zoom in to full pixel detail with
one click for checking sharpness if you set it up that way in the options.

Sometimes the combined RGB histogram hides one channel being clipped
like specifically red in the sky which leaves you with an irreparably
cyan tinted sky even though it's not blown out white. Sometimes you
don't care like a big red something in the frame it's OK to lose some
subtleties there & let the red channel run over so you can get a good
exposure for shadow details.

A couple approaches to the OP's issue:

1. It's real fast to move up & down through the various display modes...
I switch between histogram and blinking highlights *often*.

2. One click on the lower left button zooms you in to full screen (a
little is cropped from the sides because of the aspect ratio.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 18th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

it hurts wrote:
Off-topic curmudgeon response:
Unless you are shooting a studio lit scene with controlled lighting values I
fail to understand what the in-camera histogram does for you.
If you are shooting live with ambient light it is what it is and the tails
of the histogram don't tell a meaningful story.

But what's beyond the tails at each end does tell an important and
useful story, and you can see those by simply punting the EV back and
forwards and seeing how the histogram changes.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old June 20th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Angus Manwaring

On 18-Jun-08 22:38:48, me said
On 18 Jun 2008 17:25:16 +0000, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Angus
Manwaring" wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is not possible but with regard to the Histograms
displayed by the D80, is there a way to view just the single luminance
histogram I see on a D1X or D2X, rather than the red, green, blue and
brightness. I'm sure some people could live without it, but its overkill
for me, and I'd prefer the larger display this would make possible.

RTFM, specifically p 63. Your RGB histogram display also includes a
luminance (all channel) histogram as well.

With great respect, read my effing post. I want to see JUST the luminance,
without the RGB data. I can't see details of how to do that on page 63,
can you?

Thanks.

Old June 20th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Angus Manwaring

On 18-Jun-08 21:24:02, Paul Furman said
it hurts wrote:
Angus Manwaring wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is not possible but with regard to the Histograms
displayed by the D80, is there a way to view just the single luminance
histogram I see on a D1X or D2X, rather than the red, green, blue and
brightness. I'm sure some people could live without it, but its overkill
for me, and I'd prefer the larger display this would make possible.

A couple approaches to the OP's issue:

1. It's real fast to move up & down through the various display modes...
I switch between histogram and blinking highlights *often*.

Yup, me too.

2. One click on the lower left button zooms you in to full screen (a
little is cropped from the sides because of the aspect ratio.

Paul, are you saying - pushing the playback zoom button (bottom left) on
the D80 will allow you to see just the luminance histogram?

Doesn't seem to here, it just zooms into the image itself.

Old June 21st 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

it hurts wrote:
Angus Manwaring wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is not possible but with regard to the Histograms
displayed by the D80, is there a way to view just the single luminance
histogram I see on a D1X or D2X, rather than the red, green, blue and
brightness. I'm sure some people could live without it, but its overkill
for me, and I'd prefer the larger display this would make possible.

A couple approaches to the OP's issue:

1. It's real fast to move up & down through the various display modes...
I switch between histogram and blinking highlights *often*.

Yup, me too.

Just keep running through the options pressing the multi selector up or
down. I think some of the alternate screens can be disabled deep in the
menu options so you might check that if it's not showing.

2. One click on the lower left button zooms you in to full screen (a
little is cropped from the sides because of the aspect ratio.

Paul, are you saying - pushing the playback zoom button (bottom left) on
the D80 will allow you to see just the luminance histogram?

Doesn't seem to here, it just zooms into the image itself.

Right, that was just a suggestion to remove clutter quickly.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old June 21st 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Angus Manwaring

On 18-Jun-08 22:13:02, Chris Malcolm said
it hurts wrote:

But what's beyond the tails at each end does tell an important and
useful story, and you can see those by simply punting the EV back and
forwards and seeing how the histogram changes.

My question seems to have produced some discussion, but I don't think I've
seen an answer. So, and I'll try to be succinct he

Can the Nikon D80 display a luminace histogram without showing RGB
histograms at the same time?

If so, how?

Old June 21st 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Angus Manwaring wrote:

My question seems to have produced some discussion, but I don't think
I've seen an answer. So, and I'll try to be succinct he

Can the Nikon D80 display a luminace histogram without showing RGB
histograms at the same time?

You came here for a straight answer to a simple question?! LOL! You won't
wanna do that again. :-)

If so, how?

From what I see in the D80 manual, you get all four or none (p. 63), so the
answer is no, AFAICT.

Old June 21st 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Angus Manwaring

On 21-Jun-08 10:54:48, Wilba said
Angus Manwaring wrote:

My question seems to have produced some discussion, but I don't think
I've seen an answer. So, and I'll try to be succinct he

Can the Nikon D80 display a luminace histogram without showing RGB
histograms at the same time?

You came here for a straight answer to a simple question?! LOL! You won't
wanna do that again. :-)

Yeah... it would be nice if some people didn't feel the need to adopt a
dismissive or arrogant attitude to somenody simply asking a reasonable
question, but you can't have everything.

If so, how?

From what I see in the D80 manual, you get all four or none (p. 63), so the
answer is no, AFAICT.

That's my belief too, which is a bit of a shame, IMHO.

But hey, thanks for a helpful, non-attitude laden response.