Old June 4th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Martian

Default Help Help Help Pentax S5i Help needed (Please)

I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but My wife is
having an "A90" problem with her S5i Pentax..

We can get it into the inital mode (with the Display + DPOF + Power)

But does anybody know a way to get it into the "Secret/Service" menu?
(the Key combination that is required for that).

So we can do a system initialize

I have searched everywhere on the net, any help would be
appreciated... Thx a lot

You can reply to ericwalker"at"shaw"dot"ca if you want to mail it to
me...

The Martian.

Old June 4th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Martian

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:05:49 -0700, "BobW"
wrote:

"The Martian" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but My wife is
having an "A90" problem with her S5i Pentax..

We can get it into the inital mode (with the Display + DPOF + Power)

But does anybody know a way to get it into the "Secret/Service" menu?
(the Key combination that is required for that).

So we can do a system initialize

I have searched everywhere on the net, any help would be
appreciated... Thx a lot

You can reply to ericwalker"at"shaw"dot"ca if you want to mail it to
me...

The Martian.

Jheez, dude. The second google hit I got had the secret service menu
keystrokes.

Practice with google some more. Learn to use quotation marks because they
really help.

Bob

Sure I found it for the Pantax S, but not for the S5i.

If you would care to enlighten this poor Martian, I would appreciate
it... Just even Cutting and pasting the URL?

Thx again

The Martian.
Old June 4th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Martian

snip

I could do that, but you would hate yourself in the morning. Remember:

Honestly Bob.. I could work with a little self Loathing. It would
make my wife happy.. and Considering how far away she is, and She is
with her Family it would be nice.

Tried toing the Firmware update... Fails.. That is why I want to be
able to do the Reset... If you don't know... Then Don't reply.. You
have been ablsolutely no help whatsoever and I have been digging and
reading.

I may have been there and done that already. I was just curious if
you had found anything new.

Old June 4th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

The Martian wrote:
snip

I could do that, but you would hate yourself in the morning. Remember:

Honestly Bob.. I could work with a little self Loathing. It would
make my wife happy.. and Considering how far away she is, and She is
with her Family it would be nice.

Tried toing the Firmware update... Fails.. That is why I want to be
able to do the Reset... If you don't know... Then Don't reply.. You
have been ablsolutely no help whatsoever and I have been digging and
reading.

I may have been there and done that already. I was just curious if
you had found anything new.

Bob will probably kill me - I mean it is just not done to have
information readily given around here, and we certainly wouldn't want
the answers to any questions made more easily available... /o:

Maybe it is the Menu button + Power on, as referred to he
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...90&forum_id=24

Then again, that thread doesn't seem to have a happy ending.

But this one seems to be more promising...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27583911

Interesting that the simplest solution is just to take the battery out!

If none of that works, guess Bob will just take the info with him to the
grave...

Let us know how you get on, Martian.
Old June 4th 08, 10:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Oops, and there's this one also...

http://vnphoto.net/forums/showpost.p...41&postcount=3
Old June 4th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 19:22:03 +1000, Mark Thomas wrote:

Bob will probably kill me - I mean it is just not done to have
information readily given around here, and we certainly wouldn't want
the answers to any questions made more easily available... /o:

Maybe it is the Menu button + Power on, as referred to he

Sheesh. Everyone knows that Mars doesn't need secret service menu
keystrokes. Mars Needs Women!*

* Yet another grade B (or lower) Larry Buchanan flick starring
Tommy Kirk.

Old June 4th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Martian

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:28:06 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 19:22:03 +1000, Mark Thomas wrote:

Bob will probably kill me - I mean it is just not done to have
information readily given around here, and we certainly wouldn't want
the answers to any questions made more easily available... /o:

Maybe it is the Menu button + Power on, as referred to he

Sheesh. Everyone knows that Mars doesn't need secret service menu
keystrokes. Mars Needs Women!*

* Yet another grade B (or lower) Larry Buchanan flick starring
Tommy Kirk.

LOL that is why I am trying to Keep Mine happy !!!!

Old June 4th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Martian

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:02:08 -0700, "BobW"
wrote:

"Mark Thomas" wrote in message
Oops, and there's this one also...

http://vnphoto.net/forums/showpost.p...41&postcount=3

Sheesh. You guys are really letting Marty (I feel I can call him "Marty"
since we're so close) off-the-hook.

Well, since the cat is already out-of-the-bag (I searched all over the web
and can't find what this phrase really means), here's part of what I found.

Scroll down about 2/3rds of the way and read the large post by Phélin --

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=24&page=1

This may be the exact procedure that Mark found, too.

The bigger question is -- why are so many Pentax Optios failing like this?

Let us know when you succeed, Marty.

Bob

Well Unfortunately Those are all Sites I have found Myself... But
thanks guys. (Note: The Optio S Secret menu does not work for the
S5i)

As for Why? I believe in my wife's case it was caused by a small
satatic discharge. From what I have been able to gather the A90 error
is equivient to the Microsoft BSoD, only with no reset. A hardware
error on the Circuit board that once Tripped you can't turn off.
(Unless of course you know the Secret menu, and can reset the Bios) .
The Processor Works, and The Memory is fine... Looks like I will have
to take it apart (and do the battery thing) when get it back here on
Mars. (Unless I find the Secret menu between now and then).

Thanks for the Input Guys.

The Martian.
Old June 5th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
simon steel

"BobW" wrote in message

Well, since the cat is already out-of-the-bag (I searched all over the web
and can't find what this phrase really means), here's part of what I
found.

Sorry about top posting.. wanted to keep this in context though....

Maybe you need to look harder...

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/l...f-the-bag.html

Old June 5th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil

In message , The Martian
writes

As for Why? I believe in my wife's case it was caused by a small
satatic discharge.

Should this read "satanic" or "static"? The answer to your question is
profoundly different depending on which is correct!

Neil